UG802 Mini PC

jonesmamma

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am interested in the mk808. If the second ug802 sent to me doesn't have improved wifi, I may move on to one of these, but only if the kinks are worked out a little better with the mk808 wifi.

jlcd

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
UG802+, ?Is this a new UG802 version?

iBex UG802+ Elite Mini PC Android 4.0.4 RK3066 HDMI Dongle TV Stick 1.6Ghz 4gb

Lastly, the iBex UG802+ will has a stronger WIFI signal than other generic dongles. Ibex ensures the quality of each dongle stick as iBex stringently tests each unit before shipping. In addition, there will be a custom iBex UG802+ rom released shortly. Later firmware uprades will be free to iBex customers.

Review
aPad.TV The home of the aPad. Forums - ibex UG802 + Review and Video Demonstration

kmunir

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
One of the retailers I have contacted has told me these details about the MK808 (not sure for sales/marketing purposes or something else or may be they are correct):

this MK808 is dual core CPU, Quad Core GPU, Integrated Graphics Mali400.
Changes not only the memory storage. the most important is MK808 has DUAL WIFI, DUAL cooling chips around. so there will be NO wifi signal problems that you worry about.

I have ordered my MK808 through express delivery on aliexpress with them. I also have a UG808 coming to me in a few days time (may be later than these) and will keep you posted on how both perform in comparison.

Regards,

szantinge

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that the ibex stick is the same hardware wise. Maybe their firmware is compatible with the unbranded ug802's

I'm still awaiting my order of an unbranded ug802 (ugoos'), so couldn't say anything about if it works or not.

userx

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
@jlcd

ibex supplier is full of BS. I talked to him about the unit he is selling. He admitted its the same dongle. It's all about marketing guys. They know their is a firmware bug and wifi issues. They are adjusting their selling tactics and making it sound different on paper to make a buck. I would love to see proof of any physical differences. Next up after UG802+ model fails, they add special secret sauce for UG802++.

Last edited:

benogil

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
There was a post on the avs forum, gist of it said no xbmc on rockchip device ( we'll see.. ), said rockchip is known for violating the gpl.

userx

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
But aren't they using using other firmware then, maybe with the newer driver for the wifi chip?
Their is no proof of that. I'm not gona be a test bunny with my cash. We are the beta testers. Might be ok for some early adopters to tinker with. But hoping they send you a bug free unit might be wishful thinking. I'll wait tell all the bugs are worked out. I already got burned once.

Last edited:

szantinge

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
What power source are you using, how many and wich devices are connected by usb?

Try removing usb devices one by one and check everytime if it gets better. Seems like a power issue. Also read about someone getting constant hickups when he connected a usb ethernet adapter from a certain brand.

userx

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Good news to report.
The wifi issue is confirmed by me, "weak antenna problem". I opened up the case to see if the antenna was attached. Yes, confirmed. But the signal was extremely weak. Why? Because it is being blocked by the ug802 case. The wifi wire and antenna is simply to small. It's a mini square piece of antenne film. Like the ones found in laptops. But this one is 1/8th the size of a normal laptop internal wifi. Very small and compact for the unit but does not providing a clear signal to pass through the case.

So I hooked the unit back into my HDTV. Without closing the casing to see if their was any improvement.
BAM... :D Wifi signal locked onto my network is seconds.The signal strength improved 100%. I was shocked.
Problem wifi is solved for now. But the unit is bare and will need a fix for that.

Now getting the case open is difficult and required a very thin piece of metal to pry open each retainer. I used needle nose tweezers. These retainers are built into the plastic case. They will break if you force them open, So if you do decide to open the case be very careful and work slowly. You will damage the plastic case unit in doing this autopsy. You have been warned! If your going to return your unit, do not open it.

Here is a picture if the UG802 schematics and photos of the open case... see the tiny plastic clips!
And tiny wifi square antenna...

Here are my new signal results... my network is XXXXXXX at -47dbm
Before opening the case I was getting below -70dbm with no connection.
Use the Wifi Analyzer app to confirm your signal strength. Weak or strong.

I can now stream 1080p HD at full bandwidth speeds over wifi. It's a HUGH improvement.
Plus, as you can see the wifi is now picking up the local networks in my area.
That was not possible before exposing the wifi antenna in this unit.

It's not safe to leave the unit exposed. It might cause damage, short circuits, shock...ect
Maybe we can figure a way to affix a mini wifi antenna like this. Now that would really be a proper a antenna

Last edited:

realasrain

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't see where you've written or found any instructions on how to root the UG802 to get the full google play store. Thanks for any help you can provide. Truly appreciate it.

benogil

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
you will need the MarketEnabler_v3.apk to change the settings from the default ( Chinese ) to another region.
If you use the .apk, don't forget to clear the google play app cache and data.

szantinge

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Wow deadhp1 what a great effort for the community of minipc owners. Thanks a lot for starting the forum and pioneering with roms and kernel flashes! I've joined your forum instantly!

VegasGuy89183

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi group. 1st post. You have an informative thread going.

I ordered my UG802 from In4Dealz. Received it Friday, 2 days ago. It's the 1st PC-On-A-Stick for me. So far, I'm liking it. I bought it mainly so I would have greater flexibility in watching videos. Previously, I could only watch AVI audio files by copying them to a flash drive and then plugging the flash drive into a Phillips dvd player.

Since most of this thread has focused on wireless speed, I will start there. My 802 is plugged into the back of my TV with the included short HDMI cable and hangs downward (vertically). The 802 "sees" my router in a direct line through an outer stucco wall, 25 feet of backyard, through another stucco wall (my office building) and then 15 more feet to my Linksys E3000 router running Tomato. I have four wireless G security cams running 24/7. This means the Linksys 2.4GHz radio is pulled down to G speed for all wireless devices including the 802. In my case, none of my wireless devices use the 5GHz radio. I was hoping the 802 would use the 5GHz channel, but no joy

I get 2-3 blue bars on the 802 with the speed being reported as mostly "Good" with a 72Mbps connection. I ran SpeedTest.net to compare the 802 with my Asus laptop. SpeedTest.net reports with the 802 averaged 71 ms pings, 12-15Mbps download and 5Mbps upload. The Asus shows the signal as "Excellent" and averaged 25ms pings, 15-20Mbps upload and 5Mbps downloads. The servers were the same for both devices. I think the 802 held up well.

I intend to add an old wireless G router to my network and move the cams to the G router so the 802 and other N devices can run at full N speeds via the E3000.

Heat has not been an issue even though I leave it always on. If it's gonna' die I want it to die within any return period.

Since the 802 does not have an audio port I have run an audio cable from my TV audio out to my home theater. This allows me to watch movies with better sound.

I am using a Logitech MK320 keyboard & mouse. A fly mouse is on its way.

I have found it's easier to use Google Play Store on my laptop to install apps to the 802 as opposed to using the 802's Play Store app. It was only recently that I found a person can use their main computer to install apps to their Android device.

There is a YouTube video showing GTA 3 being played on a UG802 (Russian). But Play Store shows this game is incompatible. Any idea why?

Also, I wanted to install an app (Dead Trigger) and Play Store says I cannot install this app in my country. It will let me install it to my phone, however. Sounds like Play Store thinks I am in China. Any way to change its country?

Last edited:

userx

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
There is a YouTube video showing GTA 3 being played on a UG802 (Russian). But Play Store shows this game is incompatible. Any idea why?

Also, I wanted to install an app (Dead Trigger) and Play Store says I cannot install this app in my country. It will let me install it to my phone, however. Sounds like Play Store thinks I am in China. Any way to change its country?

You are right about the google market. It thinks you are in china. It is hard coded in the firmware. You can fix it several ways.
If you are rooted you can use Market Enabler to switch the device location. MarketEnabler_v3113.apk
Grab the app Market Enabler from your computer and install the apk on your device.
Don't forget to clear the google play app cache and data.
Go into market-enabler app click Setting List. Pick country and provider, click and hold the country. Click and select.. fake this provider now. Now go back into market and see if the change took place. You should now see you apps like Dead Trigger, GTA 3, ect... This is not a permanent solution. Upon powering down the unit, it will reboot back to the old factory setting.

Permanent Solution... if your willing to tinker with programs and flashing Roms.
Flash a ROM patch made by user deadhp1
His ROMs are All rooted and have the Play Store fix applied.
Here is his site...View forum - UG802
A big thanks goes out to deadhp1 for all his work done on this project. :D

VegasGuy89183

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Permanent Solution... if your willing to tinker with programs and flashing Roms.
Flash a ROM patch made by user deadhp1
His ROMs are All rooted and have the Play Store fix applied.
Here is his site...View forum - UG802
A big thanks goes out to deadhp1 for all his work done on this project. :D

I agree with giving props to deadhp1 for his contribution. The instructions on his forum are very clear.

Considering this is my 1st Android dongle I will likely wait to see what others say about their success at applying the firmware. For now my wireless is working well and that's more important than opening up Google play.

BTW, last night I was downloading a large file and noticed the download stopped midstream. The wireless indicator showed I had a good connection so I ran SpeedTest.net again. I received 50ms pings (faster than previously), 9.6mbps download (slower than previously) and 6mbps upload (faster than previously). So the issue was the app and not the 802's wireless.

Also, while watching a movie I found the keyboard buttons for play, pause, volume up and down all work within MX Player. Very convenient. The mute button forces MX Player to stop functioning and lose its place when restarted. I did not test any other apps.

Does anyone else find the app icons to be excessively large? I would like to see a setting or app that would change their size. IMO, they could easily be reduced by 50%.