Honor 8 Design Discussion: Voice Your Opinion!

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
What do you think of the 15-layered glass? Is it a buzzword? An innovative design? A gimmick?
How about those volume and power buttons all on one edge?
Is it too much like that Korean device everyone is comparing it to?
Will the design win you over, or do you need specs to back it up?

Voice your opinion in the comments!

samix

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the glass, while striking is a little gimmicky. Once you throw a case on, all the work put into 15 layers of glass is covered up. But I've never held one and seen it in real life, up close, so maybe my opinion would change with some hands on time.
Don't mind the buttons on one edge. The design caught my eye when I first saw it here on AC, thin and refined, no extra, unnecessary parts to the frame.
I think the back of it looks great with the simple ring for the FP reader and the two dots for the cameras.
10% form and 90% function when I'm choosing a phone. My Note 3 isn't the most ergonomic phone to hold, the back cover with fake lacing is super ugly but the insides still perform nicely considering it's 3 years old.
What kind of phone are you using Lumi?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I don't care for the glass that much but it is nice though. I really like the design itself. Everyone saying that it looks like whatever is pointless. Most phones look similar to others. Those curves though are really nice.

Sent from mTalk

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I think the glass, while striking is a little gimmicky. Once you throw a case on, all the work put into 15 layers of glass is covered up. But I've never held one and seen it in real life, up close, so maybe my opinion would change with some hands on time.
Don't mind the buttons on one edge. The design caught my eye when I first saw it here on AC, thin and refined, no extra, unnecessary parts to the frame.
I think the back of it looks great with the simple ring for the FP reader and the two dots for the cameras.
10% form and 90% function when I'm choosing a phone. My Note 3 isn't the most ergonomic phone to hold, the back cover with fake lacing is super ugly but the insides still perform nicely considering it's 3 years old.
What kind of phone are you using Lumi?

Same for me! I would rather have a thick phone with a sliding keyboard if it had the best specs amd a great battery than a thin phone that's seriously underpowered, but I think finding that balance is what the Honor 8 has really managed to do well. I'm currently using an Honor 5X, as I'm doing a beta test on it, but I also own an LG Tribute, LG Volt (which was my crowning masterpiece with CyanogenMod, root, TWRP, and Xposed), Honor 8, Samsung Galaxy s4, Samsung Galaxy Legend, an Amazon Fire, Amazon Fire HD 6 and 7, and Amazon Fire HDX (I love the low cost of Fire tablets as they are relatively easy to flash CyanogenMod on).

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I don't care for the glass that much but it is nice though. I really like the design itself. Everyone saying that it looks like whatever is pointless. Most phones look similar to others. Those curves though are really nice.

Sent from mTalk
I agree! Will you be pre-ordering?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I agree! Will you be pre-ordering?

I'm on the fence. Since I see that the code thing ends on Sept 3, I'm hoping that there will be some reviews (from Android Central, and my usual tech people/sites) before that time so that I can decide if I should or not. I have only seen two and they were both good. I'll rather wait and see really.

I was about to do that for the Xperia XA but I'm glad I didn't because that battery life is sorry!

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm on the fence. Since I see that the code thing ends on Sept 3, I'm hoping that there will be some reviews (from Android Central, and my usual tech people/sites) before that time so that I can decide if I should or not. I have only seen two and they were both good. I'll rather wait and see really.

I was about to do that for the Xperia XA but I'm glad I didn't because that battery life is sorry!
Yes, I agree. However, I am also considering the Galaxy s7, as the price will probably be discounted to around $430 in the fall...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Based on the pictures and videos I've seen, this phone looks like it should be $700 instead of $400. Good job Honor.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The layer glass design definitely sounds interesting and a worthy masterpiece of design that might have costed more on other phones. Definitely interested in this phone.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I do agree that Honor has really competitive prices, but my personal opinion is that phones shouldn't be over $400 in the first place, especially when they will most likely be replaced within a year or two.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, that layered glass looks really good, though I wonder if that will result in more people breaking the phone as they would choose to show off the design instead of buying a case, or only get a clear case with minimal protection. Honor does offer one free glass repair for three months after your purchase, so I'm thinking I might risk going caseless for those three months, then get a good case... XD

edwin walke

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I like the phone so much that I will buy on 26 Aug at 12 noon eastern time. If it came with a 5.5 inch screen I would like it more. No more carrier phones for me. Google Nexus and Huawei products.

Posted via the Android Central App

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I like the phone so much that I will buy on 26 Aug at 12 noon eastern time. If it came with a 5.5 inch screen I would like it more. No more carrier phones for me. Google Nexus and Huawei products.

Posted via the Android Central App
Personally, I prefer smaller screens around five inches.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I prefer smaller screens around five inches.
Me too.
The Honor seems like the closest we can get that is actually good though. I mean there's the Alatcel OneTouch Idol 3 4.7" and the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact though but aside from those, not so much.

The OneTouch fails the color requirement for me, and the Z5 Compact is okay but I hear that it has its own issues. It's still too much (pricewise) for me to even consider for an "older" phone. I have an iPhone SE and continuously hearing that the SE is better makes it a non-starter for me.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Me too.
The Honor seems like the closest we can get that is actually good though. I mean there's the Alatcel OneTouch Idol 3 4.7" and the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact though but aside from those, not so much.

The OneTouch fails the color requirement for me, and the Z5 Compact is okay but I hear that it has its own issues. It's still too much (pricewise) for me to even consider for an "older" phone. I have an iPhone SE and continuously hearing that the SE is better makes it a non-starter for me.
What's a color requirement?

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I feel like smartphone design at least in terms of aesthetic is slowing down, and he reason for that may be a new design on the horizon that'll really take the industry by storm, and the industry is just taking a breath before that storm. Anyone else have any ideas?