Honor 8 to receive quarterly security patches

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
This is great news! According to a Huawei employee, the Honor 8 will be receiving security patches, and general improvements at least quarterly for the first year. Updating the phone "in a timely manner" through at least the second year... And "as needed" moving beyond 2 years. I'm very glad to see an OEM make a commitment to ongoing software support. It isn't full on Nexus level support, but it's a heck of a lot better than the other guys' support plan.

What do you think, does this make the phone more appealing? I'm sure the next Nexus will be great, but I don't know if the price difference will be worth it with such similar hardware- may just order one of these!

Really excited to share this #honor8 news! Our customers asked for enhanced software support and we are going to deliver.

Honor is committed to providing the best possible experience for our customers.

From this year we are making a commitment to provide customers with access to new features (at least once every three months during the first 12 months) for up to 24 months following each product launch. We will keep providing access to security and software updates to fix bugs and enhance user experience in a timely manner. Beyond this period we will continue to provide updates in response to any threats to user safety and security. Our goal is to ensure customers have the best and safest possible experience on their Honor device.

https://plus.google.com/+TaylorWimberly/posts/FwiB7hZsGj9

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
In a way, yes it does. Hearing that it would get Nougat was enough for me, but this helps some. Hopefully they will keep their promise.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I want quarterly security updates for two years for non-Nexus phones.

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Kinda. I can get a Nexus 6P for the same price and get updates every single month and updates for at least two more years.
I have not seen a 6p for $350, is that accurate? (I know "retail" is $400, but literally everybody can get a coupon code right now). My only counter to that is that the hardware (minus, maybe screen-size) seems to be all around better here on the Honor. I guess it's a trade off, but I think quarterly updates certainly ups it's worth... If updates were a no go, I would probably look right past it.

In a way, yes it does. Hearing that it would get Nougat was enough for me, but this helps some. Hopefully they will keep their promise.

I would like to see this get it's own place on the phone's product page. A Google+ post hardly seems official, but apparently it is.

I want quarterly security updates for two years for non-Nexus phones.

I really looked at the Oneplus 3 and Axon 7. Software support was my #1 concern. I would love to see more companies make a commitment like this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez