Honor 8 Report 8-23-2016: Say cheese! (AMA)

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
One of the major selling points of the Honor 8 is its dual camera system. With one monochrome and one color sensor, it is supposed to provide higher image quality and better autofocus, and can assist with depth of field measurement, similar to the way human eyes work.

Many suspect that the camera system may even be the same as the one used in the Huawei P9, just without the (expensive) Leica branding, that was mainly an exercise in buzzwords and marketing techniques.

untitled.jpg

While the Honor 8 software engine for image processing may not be as strong as, for example, the one used in the Samsung Galaxy s7, it is still quite good. Even in low-light situations, the Honor 8 manages to take impressively sharp pictures, and the dual tone flash is an added bonus for keeping skin tones looking natural in any lighting situation. The forward-facing flash mechanism that essentially lights up the whole screen as a flash is a nice feature, but I wish that it automatically calibrated to match skin tone, something that only the iPhone has done so far. (Maybe that's a little too much to expect out of a budget device, but it would certainly be useful)

While I wouldn't have bought the Honor 8 simply because of the dual camera system, it is admittedly a very nice thing to have, not to mention the many chances you'll have to show off your phone as one of the latest and greatest, and really have it stand out.

What do you think about the dual camera in the Honor 8? Are you a fan of smartphone photography? Let us know in the comments below!

Happy Androiding!

-Lumi Valo

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
At first, I was kind of skeptical about the dual camera but after seeing how it works together in video reviews and hands-on, I love the idea. I'm looking forward to trying it for myself.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
After reading up about the benefits of two cameras for still shots.
I can't wait to check out the dual cameras.

I'm expecting a lot and I think this technology will deliver.

samix

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been on vacation the past week and have determined that the biggest factor for me in choosing my next phone will be the camera. So many situations and pictures my Note 3 camera just can't handle and it is frustrating. It is almost 3 years old though, but comparing my pics to my friends S7 and it was no contest. It will be interesting to see how the Honor 8 camera stacks up to the big boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa