Next Honor phone for USA?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Yeah it is pretty shocking... And our honor 8 is around 18 months. Wow.
Is the honor 8 that old now? Goodness. Did I make a mistake getting this phone again to be my long term device? I felt it was by far the best device on the market for the money. I mean I only paid $199 for a 64g honor 8 although it was an open box it was still new. Still new packaging and everything. Only the box seal had been opened. How could I beat that price with any other phone but I do hope we get our updates still. I definitely don't won't to have just bought a dated device you know. You think I made the right decision?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Is the honor 8 that old now? Goodness. Did I make a mistake getting this phone again to be my long term device? I felt it was by far the best device on the market for the money. I mean I only paid $199 for a 64g honor 8 although it was an open box it was still new. Still new packaging and everything. Only the box seal had been opened. How could I beat that price with any other phone but I do hope we get our updates still. I definitely don't won't to have just bought a dated device you know. You think I made the right decision?

You definitely got a good deal.. Granted open box, but still.

My only concern would be warranty, not sure how that works out in this case. Otherwise, yeah, I think from what you said previously that it's the best option for you

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
You definitely got a good deal.. Granted open box, but still.

My only concern would be warranty, not sure how that works out in this case. Otherwise, yeah, I think from what you said previously that it's the best option for you
I think I still actually get the full warranty on it as when I got it I logged in to honors site and went through the entire phone registration providing my IMEI along wirh having to upload my receipt from where I bought it. How they would know it's an open box I don't think they would. The registration went through totally fine and I got a message stating that my phone had been successfully registered through HiHonor. I'm assuming that's means my warranty started as it had me provide a date of purchase which matched the uploaded receipt. Hopefully I'm covered there. I think I am but I could totally be wrong. What do you think now knowing that I registered it?

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
So with that said on how old the honor 8 is now, do you think I made a mistake choosing this phone to settle down with to be my long term daily driver device for a while to come?

The phone should last a good while. Especially since it's nearly end of the year, we should be seeing a lot of phones on sale. You might see one or two you might wanna pick up

Last edited:

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
For $199 you likely can't do better. Mine still runs smoother than some friends new phones that cost $500+

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
For $199 you likely can't do better. Mine still runs smoother than some friends new phones that cost $500+
Oh no doubt at all. I knew there was no way I'd find another flagship type phone for only $199 and to be a 64g on top of that. I absolutely love the honor 8 and it kills me to think that honor might not be releasing another honor flagship here in the US for a long while. I so hope I'm totally wrong about that as Huawei Honor is by far my favorite company. They offer you a ton of phone for the money. To me the honor 8 is very much a flagship type phone with maybe just two corners cut on it which is the weak speaker and the lack of 4k video but I personally don't record videos anyway so that doesn't matter to me. Everything else about the phone is on a flagship type level. I personally like a all metal build better over all glass but still though the honor 8s build quality is still that of a flagship. All I need now is either a honor or Huawei larger screen device for my media phone and I'll be set for a long time.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I actually thought about getting the LG G6 a couple of times but I never did. What I don't like doing is spending a lot for my second larger screen devices because I use them much less than I would say like my Honor 8 but I'm afraid this time around when I get ready to actually get my larger screen device that I'll have to spend the extra money to find a decent phone to watch my movies on and do a lot of my media stuff on. I tend to like having a second phone that is larger than having a tablet. Not sure why that is but I've been that way for a while. Had I not just sold my brand new Nexus 6p my set up would be perfect. I just couldn't resist bc I doubled my money on selling my 6p. Bought it new for $150 and sold two weeks later for $300.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Yes you did! To illustrate, I usually upgrade my devices every 12-18 months - and not just because I would want a new phone, but because my current phone would have issues at around the year mark. My Nexus 5's battery was dying. My LG G3's battery was corrupt, the phone lagged, and it took 16 hours to charge.

My Honor 8, at almost eleven months old, has had minimal issues. Sure, the battery is maybe a little bit less than it was almost a year ago; but it still gives me excellent mileage. Barely any lag; and there's only the odd hiccup or two. I've never been this satisfied with a device. Also, I've never been so torn as to whether or not to upgrade. I've decided to wait because I love my phone too much.

Don't worry! This is a great phone for an excellent price. It will hold up for you! Especially since you treat your phones well!

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Honor 8 probably gave me the best experience in a long run compared to any other phones I had. I had my G6 just about the same amount of time I had my Honor 8 and my G6 is starting to irritate me. My Honor 8 still ran really fine.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I still actually get the full warranty on it as when I got it I logged in to honors site and went through the entire phone registration providing my IMEI along wirh having to upload my receipt from where I bought it. How they would know it's an open box I don't think they would. The registration went through totally fine and I got a message stating that my phone had been successfully registered through HiHonor. I'm assuming that's means my warranty started as it had me provide a date of purchase which matched the uploaded receipt. Hopefully I'm covered there. I think I am but I could totally be wrong. What do you think now knowing that I registered it?

Well the issue would be if someone else activated the phone before you. If not then I think you should get the entire 1 year warranty, assuming that you are the first owner.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes you did! To illustrate, I usually upgrade my devices every 12-18 months - and not just because I would want a new phone, but because my current phone would have issues at around the year mark. My Nexus 5's battery was dying. My LG G3's battery was corrupt, the phone lagged, and it took 16 hours to charge.

My Honor 8, at almost eleven months old, has had minimal issues. Sure, the battery is maybe a little bit less than it was almost a year ago; but it still gives me excellent mileage. Barely any lag; and there's only the odd hiccup or two. I've never been this satisfied with a device. Also, I've never been so torn as to whether or not to upgrade. I've decided to wait because I love my phone too much.

Don't worry! This is a great phone for an excellent price. It will hold up for you! Especially since you treat your phones well!
Mine is holding up well too. No issues here with mine.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Honor 8 probably gave me the best experience in a long run compared to any other phones I had. I had my G6 just about the same amount of time I had my Honor 8 and my G6 is starting to irritate me. My Honor 8 still ran really fine.

It's lg though and I have not had good luck with lg.