Honor 8 Repair problems

FracturedSanity

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Ok, so I have an Honor 8 that I gave to my girlfriend when I bought my Mate 10 Pro. I loved it so I figured she would too, and she does..

Problem is, a few weeks ago, my girlfriend was charging the phone while she was laying in bed and she passed out. Somehow she rolled over the phone and bent the data/charging port on the phone, stopping it from charging.

I brought the phone in to have it checked and repaired and sure enough, the charging port had become disconnected from the board.

I had the place I had brought it to order the part and paid them to fix it. The shop was well known by the way but I did do a factory reset on the phone before it totally lost power for securities sake. Never know these days and too much is done on phones now to risk it.

A week later, I picked up the phone and when I finally was able to throw her sim card back in, I set it up only to find out, it's missing all of the apps it should have, even after a factory reset.

It had absolutely no keyboard (gboard or swift), no Huawei pre-installed software (HiCare, themes, etc.. like a phone with no bloatware) and the phone won't make any calls, which I'm assuming has to do with the fact that when I first got the phone, it automatically sent a request for the network settings as soon as i turned it on with the sim card in it, but this time It did not.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this before and if anyone has a way to fix it?
It is connecting to the internet using its mobile network with the sim in, but making calls is a no go.
Is there an app to install the BS that comes with the phone? BTW, the phone doesn't even have the update menu it used to have to check for system updates.

Any help is appreciated.
Joe.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Joe, and welcome to Android Central!

I'm sorry to be getting back to you so late! Have you come to any kind of resolution to your issue with your girlfriend's Honor 8? I've never heard of such a problem occurring - but perhaps other users have had similar experiences and may be able to be of assistance.

Does your girlfriend have a backup phone that she can use in the meantime?

FracturedSanity

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Well she's currently using my backup phone (Nexus 5x) and she hates it.

As for the Honor 8.
Well its not a super common problem, but I had read about it in a few cases.

It was "Factory Reset" just before the repair on the charging port, then once it was returned, all streamlined programs that were included with the image on the phone were gone. When I tried setting it up, even the keyboard was gone so setup was tricky since all I had was voice control and certain areas don't allow voice input (passwords and home nerwork info).

Anyway, because of missing features, it also lost the super-useful "Auto-Configuration" function the phone came with that allowed for a user to just put in their sim card and the phone would automatically send a request to the provider for all pertinent information to configure the phone to run on a network without any hiccups.

Now without that feature, the phone pretty much only connects to the internet. Calls and texts are disabled.

Phone apps no longer on there include HiCare, Huawei Games, Huawei's health app that monitors steps and such, all other apps by Huawei, including the ability to update the phone. It even reverted back from Android 8.1 to the out of the box Android 8.0 with no security patches.

I need to know what can be done because their customer care reps don't seem to know a thing. :(

FracturedSanity

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
The repair on the phone was the charging port. My girlfriend damaged it while sleeping so it wouldn't take any charge at all. When I brought it in to be repaired, they just decided to replace the small board the port is connected to instead of re-soldering it because they figured it would be easier. I can't imagine that having any bearing on the phones function or stored information since it's not related to the actual internal storage part of the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez