Google Play Services eating battery?

Kentoshin

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Recently, I've noticed that 'Google Play Services' is draining a large percentage of my HTC 10's battery, and consistently is the app at the top of the battery drain charts (both in Gsam and in Settings -> Power, see image below). This has been happening for over a week consistently, but I don't remember it happening when I first purchased the phone a few weeks ago. Also, this seems to be happening while the phone is in standby, and I don't think doze is kicking in since I am moving the phone all the time.

Although I am still getting pretty good battery life, I think that this could definitely be improved - is this issue normal or a problem with my phone?

Screenshot_20161003-182315.jpg

mrbowlman

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
This has happened to me a couple times this past week. The first time I didn't notice it until the end of the day. My battery was down to 40%, and Google Place Services accounted for about half the usage. The second time, I noticed it a early. After a couple hours off the charger, my battery was down to about 75%, and it was warm to the touch after sitting "idle" for a bit. Google Play Services accounted for about 70% of that. A reboot seemed to calm the issue the second time.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
This has literally been my only minor gripe with the HTC 10 since getting it 2 weeks ago. The battery is fine for 3-4 days, then I get a ‘spike’ of GP Services. As the OP suggested, it doesn’t annihilate my battery, but certainly means it’s 10-15% lower by late evening than it would normally be.

For me, the only solution thus far is to clear all the Play Services data thru the app manager in settings. It’s not too much of an inconvenience, other than my having to reconfigure my card for Android Pay and reset my Huawei Watch to factory settings (only take 15 mins), but still, a bit of a pain.

It’s been Ok since Sunday, so hoping maybe that’s the end of it (shouldn’t’ have said that…).

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok. I know there where no replies, but in case it's of use - I notice 'Phone Radio' was a large culprit once I installed and checked GSam. Tried a few things - and having NFC on all the time was the culprit. Phone radio went from the same % as my SOT, to about 2-3%.

Interesting, as I thought that NFC was only used when it was activated, so to speak, when using Android Pay etc. Still, there you go.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
See this is not my issue with Google Play services I don't use NFC and less I need it so it's not on all time my phone radio is only about 2/3 or 5% of overall battery. No Google Play is almost the same as my screen on time. Which of right now is about 17%. I have also read some forms in the normal 6.0.1 the other people having issues on other Android phones so I think it's the security updates that Google has put out. That's just my thoughts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa