Paint wearing off?

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a weird problem with my HTC 10's back, today I noticed that there are some stains on the paint, I tried to rub them off but nothing changed, tried a wet clothe but also no change.
Couple days ago I washed my TPU case with soap and water and rinsed it then dried it with a cloth.
So now I am totally lost as I was planning to sell my 10 in a month to get a U 11, but with these stains I wonder if I still can find a buyer :(
I don't even know if it's the paint that is naturally wearing off because of the TPU texture or if there was any soap particles left that did something to the paint?
Any idea if it's fixable?

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I haven't noticed anything. I always have a case for my phones though (all of which have been HTC in the past six years or so). So other than some of the usual marks that come from having it in a case for so long, I haven't seen any paint issues resulting from otherwise.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok I took a photo, looks like paint is gone on these spots, and it happened like overnight or I wasn't noticing it because the phone is in the TPU cover 95% of time.
Now I remember that 2 days ago I was running with the 10 in my armband and without the TPU, I was sweating 1 hour long so perhaps some sweat entered the armband's foam (neoprene) and reached the metal of the 10 and add to that the friction of jogging and running...
All I know that it's the 1st time I see paint wearing off one of my metal HTC like that after 1 year, the last time I saw paint wearing off was with the Nexus One and it was after 1 year and half without protection (so lot more sweat attack)
DSCF3880[1]_1.jpg

As you can see the tpu cover has no paint residue from the phone,pushing me into the armband theory more and more, during my winter ski days there was some condensation under the tpu cover specially under the camera area so I have no idea if there are any correlation with what happened too.
What do you think? Any tricks to restore colors or I will have to stick a dbrand skin so I can sell my 10 to get $$ and get the U 11? People here in my country are picky on average so if they see these spots they won't buy it, but a dbrand skin can make it look gorgeous again especially with a classic one like hyperblack no?
This is killing me because I was always very careful with my 10 from day 1 and now I got these horrible spots dooming my phone :(

Last edited:

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Man, I'm sorry for you. :( Can't you call HTC and see if can be replaced by them? After all, it's not your fault at all.
This is the main reason I ordered the glacier silver. From what I've read the anodized paint wears off easily, especially if dropped and such.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Man, I'm sorry for you. :( Can't you call HTC and see if can be replaced by them? After all, it's not your fault at all.
This is the main reason I ordered the glacier silver. From what I've read the anodized paint wears off easily, especially if dropped and such.

It's still under warranty, but I doubt they will accept to replace it as they will say it's a ''cosmetic'' problem and that it's not their responsibility. I just checked and some iphone 5 and 6 had the same problem due to bad paint factory process.
The thing is that my 10 is protected since day 1 in a tpu cover and the only times I took off the tpu was when putting it in a Belkin armband, it felt only one time on my car's rubber carpet with the tpu cover on so it's not a dropping problem at all.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

It's still under warranty, but I doubt they will accept to replace it as they will say it's a ''cosmetic'' problem and that it's not their responsibility. I just checked and some iphone 5 and 6 had the same problem due to bad paint factory process.
The thing is that my 10 is protected since day 1 in a tpu cover and the only times I took off the tpu was when putting it in a Belkin armband, it felt only one time on my car's rubber carpet with the tpu cover on so it's not a dropping problem at all.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

So I passed by HTC Lebanon aka Gomobile yesterday, they checked the phone and after 10 minutes of inspection they told me that usually when there is a ''cosmetic'' problem they don't fix it under warranty THOUGH because my 10 is in perfect condition with not a single scratch or dent meaning no drops, they are convinced it's a hardware fault (paint factory fault that wear off with battery heat or other things), so they took photos of the back and sent them to HTC Middle East for a confirmation about that, knowing HTC here as they don't have the infamous machine to open closed-shell HTCs so they can change the aluminum shell, most probably they will give me a replacement. Of course this is in case HTC EMEA accept and reckon the fact that it's a paint quality fault from their side. I will have an answer in the 48h, cross fingers!!

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
So I passed by HTC Lebanon aka Gomobile yesterday, they checked the phone and after 10 minutes of inspection they told me that usually when there is a ''cosmetic'' problem they don't fix it under warranty THOUGH because my 10 is in perfect condition with not a single scratch or dent meaning no drops, they are convinced it's a hardware fault (paint factory fault that wear off with battery heat or other things), so they took photos of the back and sent them to HTC Middle East for a confirmation about that, knowing HTC here as they don't have the infamous machine to open closed-shell HTCs so they can change the aluminum shell, most probably they will give me a replacement. Of course this is in case HTC EMEA accept and reckon the fact that it's a paint quality fault from their side. I will have an answer in the 48h, cross fingers!!
Nice!

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

Good luck, please confirm what happened

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Finally got an answer!
They estimated that it's indeed a paint quality fault, they want me to give them my 10 on Monday for 24h, they claimed it will be ''fixed''. Now the only way to fix that would be to open the 10 and change the whole back unless they can spray the metal like a car???
Or perhaps they are obliged to keep it with them 24h as an administrative rule from HTC EMEA before giving me a new unit.
Anyway I will RUU it this Sunday ;)

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Good luck, please confirm what happened

Ok it took them 24h to change the back of the 10, now it's new 100% :)
In the process they scratched my screen's spigen film, thanks God I have another one and applied it.
Though I am not sure it's due to the back cover replacement or it was there from before but I noticed like very small smudges on the screen, 3 very light grey smudges, I thought it was some dirt but it didn't went with microfiber cloth.
Dunno if I ask for a screen replacement now! The thing is that you won't notice them with any colors but white or something close to white, you can see them for example in the settings menu and even there you won't notice them with normal use, you really should search for them.
So should I ask for a screen replacement and take the risk to get a Tianma panel (mine is Sharp which is better) , get some possible scratches on the new metal back in the process and of course pay again 10$ for new Spigen films, or just forget about the smudges?
Here I tried to shoot the smudges in this photo
NAEBg4.jpg