How's the Typing / Keyboard?

wyountrx

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm a long-time Treo user and a physical keyboard has always stopped me in the past from getting a pure touch screen. However, I'm quite suprised at how well I've adapted. I've got relatively big hands so I do find typing landscape a little easier, but with the predictive typing i can plug along portrait without any problems for quick messages.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I used it briefly. I've had a Pre for a year, but when I picked up the Aria (only used it for like 2 minutes) I typed a short paragraph and only made 2 errors. My speed was about the same as the Pre. So either I'm in denial about the Pre keyboard or the Android keyboard is just that good. Or both.

miki7

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am having a horrible time with the keyboard! This is my first touch screen tho, and I think I need a physical board, but I am determined to give this a fighting chance.

Go1denChi1d

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
At first, it was a bit vexing to type in the portrait mode. This being my first true smartphone/touchscreen device it felt very cramped. After a day of messaging, IMing, and other what nots; I've become more used to keyboard. Though landscape mode is also a major plus!

dandrumheller

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Having just come from a Bold 9700, and a pearl before that, I have to say I am very happily surprised by the keyboard on the Aria. I really liked suretype on the pearl, and never really got as fast on the 9700 as I was on the pearl - I was always 2-thumbing the Bold. I tend to fat-finger a lot, so I was expecting to need to use landscape keyboard on the Aria to keep the speed up, but have found this isn't the case. After 2 days with the Aria (my first device with touchscreen keyboard) I am faster than I was with the Bold after 9 months or so, and almost as fast as I was with the Pearl. I am mis-typing a lot on the Aria, but the auto-correct fixes me up about 95% of the time - I basically treat the portrait keyboard like suretype and hammer away. Using the Aria's keyboard has made me faster on my wife's iPhone, too :)

DD

REDDEVILVS AKA GLEN

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have somewhat bigger fingers.....and am concerend about this decive with Texting and messaging.....When I went to try it at ATT store it wsnt that bad for me at all..What I did love was the Google voice option when generating a text you just speak with you want and it gets typed ! Pretty cool !!! Also works for web browsing..IE.. CNN.COM and it loads page....

Im coming fromSamsung Eternity for the last 2 years and that 3.2 screen didnt really cause me any issues.

maevro#CB

Jun 22, 2010
www.twitter.com
I used to be a rep for a ton of companies and I am really happy with the Aria, both its size and keyboard.

In the past few months I've had a Blackberry 9000 & 9700. Those were physical keyboards and I can type faster and more accurate on the Aria.

I love the size and speed of the Aria. It feels great in your hand and the screen is very crisp and clear.

I have a MOTO Backflip that's sitting in a drawer, as well as a Nokia 5800XM, N97, X6 and N97 Mini.

The battery life is normal. HTC states a 1400mAh gives you 6 hours & a 1600mAh gives you 6.5.

My biggest complaint is that there is no front camera or main camera flash.

I get great service, the Aria has a strong radio picking up 850 & 1900 HSDPA beautifully and I find myself in an UMTS or HSDPA 95% of my day.

I respect the iPhone but I like having the ability to remove my MicroSD card.
3.2" is a great size screen. IMO, the EVO's screen and actual phone is to large.

I can type one handed and I can type fast 2 handed. Predictive text works well.

I'm not a Samsung fan. I want to stay with HTC and this phone feels wonderful on my hands.
I know Samsung offers larger screens but as a previous rep for them, 25% to 35% of all their phones came back defective.

Listen, everyone has their opinion and I respect it. AT&T wasn't allowed to push Android because of the new iPhone and now that they are slowly releasing them, they will get better and better.

There is no phone that is as thin as the Aria. I can multitasking and do anything I need it to so.

Most of my Apple fanboys were impressed, nuff said.

brivette007

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind the typing on my Aria. I have kinda chubby fingers and typing in portrait is a little tight, but managable. Landscape is perfect though.

REDDEVILVS

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Good tp hear...I will be getting my Aria on Tueday...Dam Holiday weekend for Fedex...:) My semi Sausage fingers are ready ! I do look foreward to using the specch to text function !!

slowman

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
The keyboard isn't too bad. I'm coming from an iPhone and that keyboard is no doubt, the best one I've used, ever. But this is def a close second. It's very responsive and quick. Portrait IS a bit cramped but still usable. It's only my first full day with it and have been getting used to it. The landscape keyboard is def my preferred choice on this phone but on my iPhone I would never use it because it wasn't needed to me.

I'm going to try out the Captivate when it comes out in the store, and if the larger screen is more suiting for me, then I will exchange this Aria for that probably. But I really like HTC. So IDK. Might keep with the Aria and upgrade when I can. When ATT will have some top notch HTC or Motorola Android phones. (I hope!)

sigmamason

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I had a chance to play with Aria for a long time today and compared to the iPhone 4 that I own. Outside of accidently hitting the O when I wanted the P, and the back button from time to time, I found the keyboard on the Aria to be pretty good. I liked the size and feel of the Aria and considering I am real close to returning the iPhone 4 (not because it is bad, just not overly impressed especially with the negative press on the various issues)...I might pull the trigger on the Aria...

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I am having a horrible time with the keyboard! This is my first touch screen tho, and I think I need a physical board, but I am determined to give this a fighting chance.

Let me know if its upsets you. I have a Bold 9700 im trying to get rid of for this device.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I just saw the Aria for the first time today. That phone is small. Maybe I am just used to my EVO, but I didn't think the device would be that small. I would definitely have to use the compact qwerty keyboard to type on that phone in portrait mode.

hotfire

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have somewhat big fingers and typing on portrait works well for the most part but htc's auto correct works really well and takes care about 98% of my errors. But landscape typing is perfect. Sure its smaller than its cousin the EVO, but like any and all touchscreens your fingers will adapt to it and all will be fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non