Somthing happened to my Eris!

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
It deleted all my contacts - that's the only real negative I've seen. It also added the Facebook updates to my Notifications and contacts.

I only know of one OTA update I've received and it notified me accordingly. I've not had any such notifications since then. And I have not received the 2.0/2.1 update either.

And, of course, this was right before I downloaded my backup app. Gotta love that.

Anyone have any idea what happened?

philchang53

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Eris problem

Did this happen after you updated? I believe it does that. Sorry to hear. I use google calendar and google mail so my contacts and mail are backed up and updated automatically.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I use Google contacts, too, and they're gone from there. And I don't recall any updates. And now I'm getting the same message I got back when I bought my Eris - that there are too many contacts and some need to be deleted. I have ELEVEN left! It's something to with Google, I think, but either way, it's weird.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I use Google contacts, too, and they're gone from there. And I don't recall any updates. And now I'm getting the same message I got back when I bought my Eris - that there are too many contacts and some need to be deleted. I have ELEVEN left! It's something to with Google, I think, but either way, it's weird.

Ugh. Sounds like the contacts got wiped on your phone, then did a sync with Google and erased the from the 'cloud'.

I don't know if that can be fixed, but you might want to try a hard reset, log in with a different gmail account, then wipe data and log in with your real account again.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
whoops sorry guys. just realized i completely misread what you said. i thought you were telling us your phone was updated and it wiped your contacts.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't sure what happened, MrFarinHight. Looks like a Google problem now.

GBHil, I had accessed another Google Mail account last week, right about the time that this happened. I am 99.99% positive that I was not prompted about any deletes nor did I do anything to intitiate it. For some reason, it did keep 11 of my 100+ contacts - some that I call regularly, one that I've never called!

So let me make sure I'm clear on your suggestion:
* Hard reset (remove the battery, put it back, correct?)
* In that other Gmail, wipe the data (just delete all contacts? - there's only one in the other Gmail so no big deal there)
* Log back win with my usual Gmail

Is this correct?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't sure what happened, MrFarinHight. Looks like a Google problem now.

GBHil, I had accessed another Google Mail account last week, right about the time that this happened. I am 99.99% positive that I was not prompted about any deletes nor did I do anything to intitiate it. For some reason, it did keep 11 of my 100+ contacts - some that I call regularly, one that I've never called!

So let me make sure I'm clear on your suggestion:
* Hard reset (remove the battery, put it back, correct?)
* In that other Gmail, wipe the data (just delete all contacts? - there's only one in the other Gmail so no big deal there)
* Log back win with my usual Gmail

Is this correct?
What i was suggesting -
Wipe all data on the phone and reboot.
When it comes back up, you'll be faced with the setup wizard. Use the different gmail account. I would even go into the market and and download a free app or two.
Wipe all data on the phone and reboot again.
This time use your regular Gmail account in the setup wizard.

Keep in mind this is only a guess, and may be a lot of trouble for nothing. It really sounds like your phone deleted your contacts and then sync'd. Maybe the database got hosed, maybe something else. But something caused a sync that erased your contacts on the web.

Wiping all data and rebuilding the DB would be my first thing to try, and hope it doesn't happen again. Changing your login and erasing any potentially bad data, then erasing it all over again and changing your login back should rebuild everything.

Two quick questions - Does the market correctly show your apps that are installed as still installed?
Is your Google talk app still working?

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Two quick questions - Does the market correctly show your apps that are installed as still installed?
Is your Google talk app still working?

I don't use Google Voice (if that's what you meant by Google Talk). The market does show all my apps correctly.

I'm going to try to Email Google cust serv and see if they've run into this before. Very odd.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Well please let us know what they say (if anything). I'd blow a gasket if my contacts got erased from gmail.

I Emailed them around lunch time so hopefully I'll hear something by the end of March ;)

The only thing I can figure is that it had something to do with me creating and using the other Gmail account and/or having that mail forwarded to my primary Gmail. I never used the alternate account on my phone - only on my laptop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty