Evo 3D, rooted, stock ROM all of the suddent wont power up??

inco9nito99

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I had rooted my Evo3d a while ago using the revolutionary tool. Hboot 1.4, S-OFF and all was well. I have the stock ROM and nothing done other than rooting it. Everything was fine for approximately a month...yesterday a member showed me how to remove the software update icon by un-checking the box in menu>settings>updates>...etc. I did NOT update anything though. Now, this morning I wake up after the phone being on the charger and the capacitive buttons are lit, but the phone screen is blank. I try powering/waking it up and NOTHING. I pull the battery a few times and restarted it a few times and again, NOTHING. I tried doing the power+lower volume key and I get into the root revolutionary menu but from there I am lost. Can anybody help? I'd like to save my settings and my information on the phone. Thanks all!

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I had rooted my Evo3d a while ago using the revolutionary tool. Hboot 1.4, S-OFF and all was well. I have the stock ROM and nothing done other than rooting it. Everything was fine for approximately a month...yesterday a member showed me how to remove the software update icon by un-checking the box in menu>settings>updates>...etc. I did NOT update anything though. Now, this morning I wake up after the phone being on the charger and the capacitive buttons are lit, but the phone screen is blank. I try powering/waking it up and NOTHING. I pull the battery a few times and restarted it a few times and again, NOTHING. I tried doing the power+lower volume key and I get into the root revolutionary menu but from there I am lost. Can anybody help? I'd like to save my settings and my information on the phone. Thanks all!

Strange. What recovery are you using?

kartikkp

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
At least your's isn't bricked, mine actually wouldn't power up when that happened to me and I had to get a new one.

Have you tried using the RUU file and just restoring everything back to factory default through the recovery tool in fastboot?

if that doesn't work I would try to maybe flash another rom on there just too see if it would work or not.

if you don't have recovery installed on fastboot just download the cwm for shooter and then flash it on manually from fastboot to try out the other roms

inco9nito99

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
when hitting power+low volume key>recover, it shows up as revolutionary cwm (clockworkmod??).

ps im an iphone convert, i know nothing about kernals/roms/etc. I followed a how-to on how to root using revolutionary, my andorid prowess ends there, lol.

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
100% sure that you unchecking the update box had nothing to do with your phone not turning on.

Download twrp from http://www.techerrata.com/dl.php?path=27&file=PG86IMG-twrp-shooter-1.0.3.zip

1. Download flashable zip from the OP and rename it "PG86IMG.zip" (without the quotes)
2. Place in the root of the sdcard
3. Power off phone (make sure you turn off hot boot or pull the battery when it's off)
4. Power on the phone holding power and volume down
5. Follow the prompts to flash it
6. Delete .zip (PG86IMG.zip) after booting
7. Enjoy

Download a custom ROM or Stock Zip
CleanROM 2.4 http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...9-8-11-gb-2-3-4-just-keeps-gettin-better.html

Stock 2.3.4 zip (latest stock ROM from Sprint) http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...ck-rooted-2-08-651-2-htc-ota-8-26-2011-a.html

Place the Zip on the root of your sd card.

After flashing the twrp recovery
Boot into recovery
go to wipe menu (use volume keys to navigate)
press power button to select
wipe
Cache
Dalvik
Everything (data reset) ----since you want to try to save all of your info, and are coming from the stock ROM you MAY, I repeat MAY be able to get away with skipping this step if you are just flashing the stock ROM.

Go back to main menu
Select install zip
Select choose zip to flash
navigate to the zip you placed on your card
press power to confirm

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
is there any way to keep my settings/files/data?

If you skip the factory reset step. But it may not work. Maybe I am missing something simple to do to help you out. Maybe one of the forum experts will chime in with an easier solution. What I outlined above could be described as a last resort to get you set up. Hopefully someone smarter than me has a simpler approach.

Reactions: inco9nito99

inco9nito99

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I dont know much about this stuff so I didn't want to try anything in fear of losing my stuff. If I were to follow your directions, would there be any harm in loss of data?

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Shouldn't be from the last post (reboot to system).
Disclaimer : Your phone is borked somehow, you may have already lost data and just don't know it yet.
There are no guarantees when messing with rooted hardware.

inco9nito99

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Here's a question, on the SD card, what files after running revolutionary to root it, should remain? i know i was deleting a bunch of things clearing up some garbage files (pics/movies/etc) and mightve accidentally deleted something important related to root?

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Here's a question, on the SD card, what files after running revolutionary to root it, should remain? i know i was deleting a bunch of things clearing up some garbage files (pics/movies/etc) and mightve accidentally deleted something important related to root?
Shouldn't be any, you can switch SD cards at anytime.

inco9nito99

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
ok it reboots, I see HTC appears, Sprint appears, 3D appears, Spring appears, screen goes blank. Now, the capacitive buttons dont light up anymore.

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
You might have already lost your data, flash the stock rom from a couple of posts ago. Place stock rom in root of your SD card, boot into recovery, Wipe Dalvik and ( normally I would say wipe data/factory reset but you are trying to save your data) , install zip.
Reboot system now.

inco9nito99

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm donwloading the ROM to my PC and am going to put it onto the main folder of a spare SD card I have laying around. Once its up and running ill then pop in my 32gig that has all my music/movies/pictures (lessening any risk of me losing SD data). Also I did have titanium backup and sms + for saving texts, hopefully i'll be able to retrieve all the programs i installed onto the "phone" .