class 10 sd card slow write speed

stockkid07

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else notice slow write speeds on their sd card? I got a PNY 32gb class 10 sd card and get 7 or 8mb write speed. Read speed is about 20mb/s. Used three different benchmarks and got same results. Is it my card or does the EVO 3D hardware not able to utilize the full speed. I remember the og Evo having a problem like this.

Last edited:

stockkid07

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
This is disturbing as the MINIMUM for class 10 is 10 MB/s write and about 20 MB/s read. Reading seems to be fine. But these card should be getting at least 13-15 write. And they are below even the minimum the card is supposed to be. Anyone run benchmarks on their card while it was out of the evo 3d or perhaps in another phone? Hopefully if its software issue it can be resolved.

playersnoopy

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Why should the cards be getting 13-15, when minimum requirement is 10... the cheaper the cards, the more assured you can be that it will only get the minimum. The PNY I have is 66x so I know what to expect, but not like it's going to affect the EVO, the phone shouldn't be doing much IO after initial loads minus any big games. Which is why the stock card that comes with the phone is class 4. The only downside should be copying large movies onto the phone.

stockkid07

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I say between 13-15 cause that's about average of what I see for class 10. I have never had a sd card meet only the minimum yet alone fail below it. I have has class 2 sandisk writing at 6mb/s. I'm not saying it should be between 13-15. But my main point is it shouldn't be below the minimum. I have had PNY before so I don't think its the card. I may need to do more tests to verify that. But if other people have the same problem it could be software. I would say maybe the evo 3d just doesn't fully utilize class 10 speeds but I believe someone has reported above 10mb/s. I would also say it could be allocation size as I thought I read 64kb helps improve the speed of the card compared to 32. I formatted the card right when I got it. I should set it to 32 and see how it performs.

stockkid07

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I used three of them. One is sd tools, another is antutu benchmark, and the third is androbench. They are all in market place. The antutu is my favorite. It tests cpu, graphics, and ram, as well as Internal storage and sd card speed and compares it to other phones. Of course lots of the others tested and uploaded have been rooted. But its still neat the kind of database they have.

playersnoopy

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Judging from the sound of things everything seems about right for the most part. Class 10 micro are still new and will probably always meet only the minimum specs. As for getting scores just below 10MB/s well that's probably your test program and your card having been used. A ###x speed rating is a little more accurate in your actual speed unless the vendor writes the read speed as the x-rating which happens with some vendors. And no what you got on Class 4 or 6 is not and should not be equivalent to Class 10 in performance ratios.

Reactions: cp1024

cp1024

May 15, 2010
Visit site
if this is a problem for you, then it seems you may want to purchase another class 10 labeled card, also keep in mind that 10MBps write is measured while writing contiguous sequences, this will be affected by contents of the card, and which parameters were selected when you had formatted.:-\

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Do remember and its been documented countless times. The android os isn't set to run anything above class 6. The only real benefit is using class 10 is transferring files on the pc

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Do remember and its been documented countless times. The android os isn't set to run anything above class 6. The only real benefit is using class 10 is transferring files on the pc

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Do you have a link to this info and/or know if ICS will increase this limit?

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Something else to consider.. A lot of class 10 cards are good at writing normal/large files in sequence, but utterly blow at small, random access speeds.

I had to sell off a "Class 10" card because its random 4k tests were .008 MB/s. yes, less than even 1. I had a LOT of issues with my EVO 3D related to lag that I just figured was all the phone's fault. Turns out it was just the card.

I went with a Sandisk Class 4 and haven't had any issues since.

This is a good read on this problem.

32GB microsd cards - xda-developers

Reactions: Room101

Led Zappa

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Something else to consider.. A lot of class 10 cards are good at writing normal/large files in sequence, but utterly blow at small, random access speeds.

I had to sell off a "Class 10" card because its random 4k tests were .008 MB/s. yes, less than even 1. I had a LOT of issues with my EVO 3D related to lag that I just figured was all the phone's fault. Turns out it was just the card.

I went with a Sandisk Class 4 and haven't had any issues since.

This is a good read on this problem.

32GB microsd cards - xda-developers

I gotta say I won't argue with the test results or your experience, but I just got the Lexar 32GB Class 10 and have had no problems or noticed a difference/lag in any apps I use. I'll definitely report back if that changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty