What do you want out of the EVO 3D's successor?

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
While I most likely won't be getting another HTC device, the next EVO should have the following:

A DECENT STOCK CAMERA - 12MP. Quality Sensor.
No 3D. As great as it is, the public doesn't want it and it's going to kill the evo line, like it did to this phone
1.5ghz Dual Core proc
2GB ram
MORE INTERNAL STORAGE - at least 4GB, I hate that they give us only 1GB...it's pathetic
720p Super LCD at least 4.8 inches

Unfortunately it will have wimax, sense and limited storage, so i'll probably pass for something with LTE, more hackable or next year's nexus.

Well said.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If you want a quality 12MP camera, then buy one. Don't expect it from your cell phone. They are great when you don't have a real camera on you, but are crap for taking pictures for anything other then Facebook posting

If everyone had that attitude, cell phone cameras would never improve. People have been saying that same BS line for several years.

As it is though, the camera on my cell phone today is better than the digital camera I had several years ago. So I guess on some level the cell phone cameras do become good enough (assuming everyone's digital cameras several years ago were good enough).

lds710

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I think 3d should stay but with a hd screen
Maybe add some solar power trickle charging that would be sweet.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If everyone had that attitude, cell phone cameras would never improve. People have been saying that same BS line for several years.

As it is though, the camera on my cell phone today is better than the digital camera I had several years ago. So I guess on some level the cell phone cameras do become good enough (assuming everyone's digital cameras several years ago were good enough).

I don't know what you used to have, but my EVO 3D camera is not as good as my first 2 MP digital camera. Not even close.

I'd like to see them focus on quality, not MPs. The tiny lenses in these things have no hope of properly resolving 12 MPs. Even 5 MPs is more than what's necessary to take quality photos, we just need bigger lenses and better quality sensors. I'm sick of the unecessary MP race, all more MPs do is take up excess memory and make the files harder to work with.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what you used to have, but my EVO 3D camera is not as good as my first 2 MP digital camera. Not even close.

I'd like to see them focus on quality, not MPs. The tiny lenses in these things have no hope of properly resolving 12 MPs. Even 5 MPs is more than what's necessary to take quality photos, we just need bigger lenses and better quality sensors. I'm sick of the unecessary MP race, all more MPs do is take up excess memory and make the files harder to work with.

I would love to see some ancient 2MP digital camera take better pictures than the Evo 3D, lol.

Also, does your ancient 2MP digital camera take 3D pictures and 720p videos?

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
more RAM
more internal memory
fix the issues with the volume
quicker shutter on the camera, better protection on camera lenses
kickstand back and charger port back to the bottom
beefy enough battery to last the day with normal use(!!)
better radios (LTE?)

I'm up for a new phone in summer which would be the phone that should hold me over for 2 years, but with the whole LTE vs WiMAX issue, not sure what I will do. We have WiMax where I'm at, but it's really really spotty so I never use it.

I think it sucks that Sprint did away with the Premier program and now they are slowly switching from WiMax to LTE. What happens if you get stuck for 2 yrs with a WiMax radioed phone?!

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I would love to see some ancient 2MP digital camera take better pictures than the Evo 3D, lol.

Also, does your ancient 2MP digital camera take 3D pictures and 720p videos?

Ha ha, no 3D and the video did indeed stink. And the sharpness was not any better. But color, exposure, and motion were all superior, making for better pictures overall. And compared to my last 3.2 MP camera, there is no comparison at all, the camera blows the phone away in pretty much every aspect but video.

My point being, MegaPixels aren't everything. There are a lot of improvements they should make in the basics before going to 12 MP, because 5MP CAN BE plenty good enough for what 99% of people expect out of a phone. I do think the camera should improve. I don't think more MPs is the answer.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha, no 3D and the video did indeed stink. And the sharpness was not any better. But color, exposure, and motion were all superior, making for better pictures overall. And compared to my last 3.2 MP camera, there is no comparison at all, the camera blows the phone away in pretty much every aspect but video.

My point being, MegaPixels aren't everything. There are a lot of improvements they should make in the basics before going to 12 MP, because 5MP CAN BE plenty good enough for what 99% of people expect out of a phone. I do think the camera should improve. I don't think more MPs is the answer.

I agree that MP isn't everything. I never made any statement that MP was important. I was merely responding to a post that said the phone camera should always be expected to be useless for anything except facebook and never expected to replace a digital camera. My Evo 3D takes way better pictures than the first digital camera I ever owned (which was a VGA resolution). It takes way better pictures than probably the first 5 digital cameras I ever owned. I I have never had a digital camera that takes 3D pictures.

So my point is not that MP means anything. My point is that it's stupid to not expect the camera to be good enough on your next phone. If the digital cameras of yesteryear were good enough, and the phone cameras of today are better than those old school digital cameras (which they are- even if you don't think the Evo 3D's is better there is no denying the iPhone and most Nokia cameras are way better) then one must assume that today's phone cameras, and definitely the next generation of phone cameras, should absolutely be expected to be good enough.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
...So my point is not that MP means anything. My point is that it's stupid to not expect the camera to be good enough on your next phone.

I almost agree, but there is no substitute for a large lens and sensor. By large sensor I mean phyical size, not MPs. The only way a truly "point and shoot" quality phone could exist would be if more space were dedicated to the camera. The two cameras in the EVO shows this is possible.

In ideal, and I mean perfect conditions, the camera in my EVO can take "good enough" pics. Introduce any motion or adverse lighting though and it's downright terrible. That is where phones need improvement.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I almost agree, but there is no substitute for a large lens and sensor. By large sensor I mean phyical size, not MPs. The only way a truly "point and shoot" quality phone could exist would be if more space were dedicated to the camera. The two cameras in the EVO shows this is possible.

In ideal, and I mean perfect conditions, the camera in my EVO can take "good enough" pics. Introduce any motion or adverse lighting though and it's downright terrible. That is where phones need improvement.

Well also remember that the Evo 3D camera is considered "poor" by camera phone standards. Just because it has to be still and perfect conditions doesn't mean they all are.

The iPhone, any Nokia, any Sony Ericsson and most Samsungs all have WAY better cameras than the Evo 3D. And the cameras on many of them are much better than the popint and shoot digital cameras of a few years ago.

It's pretty stupid to give HTC an excuse to not include a decent camera on their phones. I fully expect my next phone to have a good enough camera to use as a point and shoot.

I had an Evo 4G before the Evo 3D. The camera on my Evo 4G was better than my old 6 MP Nikon point and shoot. And I'm not talking about MP (even though that was better too).

I understand my old Nikon point and shoot isn't the latest and greatest digital camera. But if that old Nikon was good enough a few years ago to be my main camera, and if the Evo 4G is better, than the Evo 4G should be good enough to be someone's main camera today. And if the Evo 3D is even newer than the Evo 4G, it should definitely be good enough.

Considering all of that, the next Evo 3D should absolutely be expected to hold its own as a digital camera. And if it isn't good enough, I'll get a different phone that is good enough. Like I said, the iPhone is already good enough, as are most Samsungs, most Nokias, and most Sony Ericssons. No point in lowering the bar, we should be striving to raise the bar.

hlazar

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure it will have a faster processor, but I haven't seen any advances in battery life that would give us a longer lasting battery. I love my 3D and won't upgrade without it. I also like the talk about waterproofing and hope the next 3d will have that. The camera is ok, even in 2D.

failmatic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
An unlocked bootloader, non of the unlock via htc method bs.
Slimmer profile
Most current processor
Up to date OS
Longer lasting battery
Better camera sensors

Reactions: coolted

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, we've seen what will be pretty much the next EVO with the HTC One X leak. It'll probably be a Sensation to 3D kind of comparison. How close were your guesses? Anybody disappointed?

1.5 Ghz Quad Core Tegra 3 (May be bumped up for next EVO)
1 GB Ram
8MP rear shooter, 1.3MP front, looks to be damn nice
4.7" 720p Super LCD2, Gorilla glass
NFC
ICS, Sense 4.0
LTE
32GB internal storage, NO SD card!!!
1800mah battery (can't recall exact number)
9.3mm thickness

Honestly, pretty close to what I thought. It'll be interesting to see if they keep the 3D and how it will affect the specs (I'm looking at you, Camera). I think they will, although it's anybody's guess. It'll also be interesting to see how a possible Sammy 3D handset could play into this. Could a 3D variant of the GS3 be Sprint's "3D" niche for the 2012 year? Could we also see two versions of the next EVO, as well as 2 versions of the next "Epic"? Definitely curious.

Again, the One X specs will be confirmed at MWC. I also suspect that there will be at least one more high end handset from HTC at MWC, that may or may not be more akin to the next EVO.

Edit: Modified for the spec leak

Last edited: