LG V40, what would you want to see?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
OK, CIE 1976. That's a reasonable choice (although there are more recent, more accurate standards). You'd be surprised how many other definitions, many home made, get used.

Anyway, now we can be certain. If the LG phone has a delta-E of 1.65 at the white point, it has very very accurate colour reproduction (at least, for pure white). The fact that other phones were even more accurate is really a wonderful testament to the quality of smart phone displays today. If these tests are actually correct, a typical human would not be able to tell the difference between the original image and the image when reproduced on any of the phones!

Hence why I am stating that the LCD vs LED display difference is not the driving factor behind why the OP thinks that images, etc. look wrong. Both types of displays are capable of being calibrated to incredibly accurate levels and two devices that are calibrated perfectly or relatively the same to each other are going to look identical in color/white reproduction, etc.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hence why I am stating that the LCD vs LED display difference is not the driving factor behind why the OP thinks that images, etc. look wrong. Both types of displays are capable of being calibrated to incredibly accurate levels and two devices that are calibrated perfectly or relatively the same to each other are going to look identical in color/white reproduction, etc.

Absolutely true. I made the same point several pages ago.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I look forward to the removal of the USB port, which is also unnecessary when we have wireless charging and Bluetooth connectivity!

Except they are necessary for a lot of people. Myself for example, I drive for a living and my vehicle is setup such that I can not mount most typical holders, much less a wireless charging one. The only mount that would work for me costs $50+, and bolts to the dash (no can do in a company truck). So instead, I just lay it on a little shelf where it sits just fine and easily charged. And while Bluetooth may have some convenience, it's not without bugs. Headphone jacks just work, period. No pairing, no extra battery tending, and cheaper headphones (all else being equal).

Regarding using USB-C to headphone adaptors, I've always hated the fragile design of USB for power delivery. To give them more use will increase potential damages and you can forget about pocketing the phone with that dongle on it. Headphone jacks are rather durable and I can pocket the phone all day if I want without worrying about it breaking.

Sorry, but I just don't think the tradeoffs are worth it by a long shot. So what if manufacturers are trying to make phones thinner. That only makes them more prone to breakage, and harder for me to hold. I'll take a moderately thick phone with some extra weight on it any day.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Except they are necessary for a lot of people. Myself for example, I drive for a living and my vehicle is setup such that I can not mount most typical holders, much less a wireless charging one. The only mount that would work for me costs $50+, and bolts to the dash (no can do in a company truck). So instead, I just lay it on a little shelf where it sits just fine and easily charged. And while Bluetooth may have some convenience, it's not without bugs. Headphone jacks just work, period. No pairing, no extra battery tending, and cheaper headphones (all else being equal).

Regarding using USB-C to headphone adaptors, I've always hated the fragile design of USB for power delivery. To give them more use will increase potential damages and you can forget about pocketing the phone with that dongle on it. Headphone jacks are rather durable and I can pocket the phone all day if I want without worrying about it breaking.

Sorry, but I just don't think the tradeoffs are worth it by a long shot. So what if manufacturers are trying to make phones thinner. That only makes them more prone to breakage, and harder for me to hold. I'll take a moderately thick phone with some extra weight on it any day.

I think there are a lot of people in a similar boat to where the trade offs just don't make sense at this time.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

I completely agree with you. I was using sarcasm to make the same point. :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As promised, I'm not going to comment on the removal of the headphone or USB sockets any more. But I have to ask about this. How is the audio inherently better via USB if you're not using an external DAC (which, in principle at least, might be better than the DAC in the phone)?

The external DAC is in the dongle....the sound quality is better than every phone I've tried except the LG Quad DACs. The dongle from the Razer phone comes close.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
How do you listen to music on your Pixel 2 if you forget to carry the dongle? All progress creates some losers. At least they can warm their hands as they wirelessly charge their phones.

Leave it attached to the headphones.... problem solved.
More than one set of headphones.....dongles are relatively inexpensive. Pixel one is about 10 bucks, HTC is about 11, Razer is about 20.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
The external DAC is in the dongle....the sound quality is better than every phone I've tried except the LG Quad DACs. The dongle from the Razer phone comes close.

OK, thanks. I just wanted to confirm that the improvement in sound quality wasn't related to the removal of the headphone socket.
Presumably I could use such a dongle with any phone with a USB C socket and USB digital audio support, and get the same audio quality? Is such support common?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I pocket my phone the same way I always did....jack side up.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Leave it attached to the headphones.... problem solved.
More than one set of headphones.....dongles are relatively inexpensive. Pixel one is about 10 bucks, HTC is about 11, Razer is about 20.

I promised not to comment on this topic, but this is not a viable solution. I regularly use two sets of headphones - a cheap standard in-ear pair and a separate set of noise cancelling headphones. I use them with several devices - commonly my phone, my PC and in flight entertainment systems on planes. Sometimes other devices like a tablet PC. I cannot simply leave a dongle connected.

BTW1: the prices you quote for dongles are more than I paid for the in-ear headphones. I don't see why the effective cost of my headphones should more than double for the convenience of a phone manufacturer!

BTW2: I know that dongles easily get lost. Dongles are required to connect the headphones on some planes and I have lost several.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
OK, thanks. I just wanted to confirm that the improvement in sound quality wasn't related to the removal of the headphone socket.
Presumably I could use such a dongle with any phone with a USB C socket and USB digital audio support, and get the same audio quality? Is such support common?

Some support, some don't.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I promised not to comment on this topic, but this is not a viable solution. I use regularly use two sets of headphones - a cheap standard in-ear pair and a separate set of noise cancelling headphones. I use them with several devices - commonly my phone, my PC and in flight entertainment systems on planes. I cannot simply leave a dongle connected.

BTW1: the prices you quote for dongles are more than I paid for the in-ear headphones. I don't see why the effective cost of my headphones should more than double for the convenience of a phone manufacturer!

BTW2: I know that dongles easily get lost. Dongles are required to connect the headphones on some planes and I have lost several.

Most of us have the issues you mention. Hasn't been a problem for me. If it's a big issue there are other phones.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Some support, some don't.

It will be nice when it's fully supported. Audiophiles will be able to buy a cheap phone, connect an external DAC via USB, and enjoy the same sound quality as with an expensive phone. I wonder if we will see USB audio DACs appearing that cost more than phones?
The rest of us can just keep using the headphone socket.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Most of us have the issues you mention. Hasn't been a problem for me. If it's a big issue there are other phones.

Ah good - then you will understand why it's not viable to keep the dongle connected. Maybe you can edit or delete your post #108 ?

Regarding the point about buying a different phone - this is correct, and I did exactly that. Just pity the Apple fans who don't have that option!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ah good - then you will understand why it's not viable to keep the dongle connected. Maybe you can edit or delete your post #108 ?

Regarding the point about buying a different phone - this is correct, and I did exactly that. Just pity the Apple fans who don't have that option!

It is viable for me....on the rare occasions I have to remove it I know enough not to lose it. If that doesn't make viable for you that's on you. I'm not editing any post or deleting any post. If I said something you disgree with that's on you. I didn't come here looking to be combative. I state my opinions, you're free to state yours. I make informed decisions and know what I'm buying before I buy it. So should everyone else.

I don't pity any Apple fans...they know what they're getting for the most part. My daughter wanted the iPhone X....she could care less about jack, dongles and notches.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I would agree with USB micro or mini being fragile. I have not experienced any issues or heard of many fragility issues with C. Not saying they don't happen...just don't see it as big dilemma unless you plan on holding onto your phone for a long time. I have had failures of micro and mini but mostly with cables and maybe two occurrences years ago on the phones with first generation connector.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

My friend is a hardcore Apple fan and when it was finally time for him to upgrade, he ended up getting the older iPhone 6s instead of the new 7 because of the headphone jack. He's going to eventually be forced to switch over (which he isn't happy about) but for the time being, his 6s has the jack and he's happy with it.

What I need someone to answer is why Apple Macbooks and Google Chromebooks still have the headphone jack and the new phones don't? If it's about size then they're wrong because the iPhone 7 and 8 has the exact same phone design as the 6. (Also, Chinese bezelless phone Vivo Nex even had a headphone jack though the phone is super bezelless) Bluetooth is better is makes no sense because why not include both? There will never be a clear answer.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just realized the title of this post is "What would you want to see" for the V40 -- I think we should get back to discussing the V40. It seems this has turned into another headphone jack / replaceable battery thread versus what it was actually for.