Earpiece volume suddenly very low

SirRob94

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I was in the middle of a call when my earpiece volume suddenly dropped so low that I could barely hear the other person. At first I thought it was a bad signal so I hung up and redialed, but still had the problem. Then I figured the phone must need a reboot, but that didn't help. Next I tried shutdown and pulling the battery.

When I switch to speaker phone it seems to work fine, just the earpiece volume is so low that it almost impossible to hear. I have the in call volume all the way up and I am not running any soundmanager software. I even tried turning on the "hearing aids" setting under Settings|Call hoping that would increase the volume, but it didn't help.

Has anybody experienced this problem? It seems strange that the earpiece hardware would just suddenly break midcall. Is it possible that I hit some weird combination of onscreen keys midcall & it saved that way?

Last edited:

mspsmom

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It happened to me today for the first time. I've had some static in the ear piece, but not had this problem before. I'm contemplating calling Verizon. I've not had other problems with my Bionic, other than one black screen of death a month ago..

Edit: sorry just realized this was for a different phone. I as searching for the same problem on a bionic...

SirRob94

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I contacted HTC via EMail. A rep wrote back and wanted me to try increasing the volume a few different ways, none of which helped.

He then wanted me to put the phone in Safe Mode to make sure that no 3rd party software was messing with it. That didn't help.

The next step is he wants me to do is a factory reset. I need to backup some of my data first. He said if that didn't work then it is more than likely a hardware issue.

I have had this phone since initial release. It is so strange that this happened mid-call while I was just sitting on a couch. It wasn't like I dropped it or exposed it to water or anything. Just weird.

SirRob94

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It's most likely a hardware issue....most likely the actual speaker is having issues.

Shot from my sharp shooter in 3d

Update:
The problem did end up being a hardware issue. I took it to Sprint & the Tech. played with it for a few minutes before saying it was a hardware problem. They ended up replacing it for no charge. I had to wait a few days for the new phone to arrive.

The phone summary states it's hardware revision 2 like my first phone, but I could swear that both speakers (earpiece & external) seem to be a little louder than my original phone.

Julianna McGlone

Apr 9, 2019
Visit site
I was in the middle of a call when my earpiece volume suddenly dropped so low that I could barely hear the other person. At first I thought it was a bad signal so I hung up and redialed, but still had the problem. Then I figured the phone must need a reboot, but that didn't help. Next I tried shutdown and pulling the battery.

When I switch to speaker phone it seems to work fine, just the earpiece volume is so low that it almost impossible to hear. I have the in call volume all the way up and I am not running any soundmanager software. I even tried turning on the "hearing aids" setting under Settings|Call hoping that would increase the volume, but it didn't help.

Has anybody experienced this problem? It seems strange that the earpiece hardware would just suddenly break midcall. Is it possible that I hit some weird combination of onscreen keys midcall & it saved that way?

My LG 6 is doing the same thing SirRobert 94 is doing. I can't hear anything thru the phone earpiece unless I use the speaker. How do I fix this

Last edited by a moderator: