Insufficient Storage Error

papabear4jc

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I am having an issue where i have apps that are ready to be updated. When i try to update them it says i have insufficient storage. I checked my internal storage is at 56 MB and on my SD card is over 1 GB. I don't have a ton of apps installed, yet my memory is very low. Any suggestions.

papabear4jc

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Oh and in addition it has apparently caused the gmail app to stop working right. It no long automatically checks for new messages and does not notify me of new email. It also will not download new messages when i hit refresh.

papabear4jc

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Nope, it wasn't a dumb question. Now i am not sure if i did this right. After i read your message i booted into CWM and wiped the cache partition and rebooted. It still shows the same amount of free space on the internal memory 56.62 MB

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
That wasn't really what I meant, but it was probably good to do anyway. I meant more along the lines of application caches.

What rom are you running? This is getting into territory I'm not well versed in as I haven't rooted my 3VO yet, but that information could help someone else help you. I know on my EVO 4G I had one rom that for some reason liked to eat my storage space, but that may have been a partition issue.

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Also, what apps do you have? I have nearly 700mb available and I have a metric crapload of apps. I can't imagine running out of space - so maybe there IS a partition issue.

papabear4jc

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have rooted my phone but i am still using the stock HTC OS. As for apps, this is the list of what i have installed, but not the ones i have moved to the SD Card

Adobe Reader
Advanced Task Killer
Amazon
Amazon MP3
Amazon App store
ASTRO file manager
BeWeather
Bible
Chuzzle
Collapse Chaos
Google Docs
Earthquake
Facebook
Flashlight
Font Size
Foursquare
Gmail
Google Search
Google+
Atari Greatest Hits Pro
Handcent SMS
IDEAL Magnifier
K-Love
Lightning Storm Live Wallpaper
Lightning Ver 2.0
Google Listen
Lookout
Mangler
Maps
Market
FB Messenger
MLB
Monopoly
MyFitnessPal
NFL
QR Droid
Scrabble
Star Wars: The Old Republic Mobile Security Key
Storm Live Wallpaper
Superuser
TeleNav GPS
Tetris
Thunderstorm Free
Titanium Backup
Translate
Trillian
Uno
Vlingo
Voicemail
WayFM
YPMobile
Zedge

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Some of those apps are big - maybe move everything you can to sd to free up space for your updates.

However, there's no reason those apps would eat up all of your application space. Something doesn't seem right. You don't happen to have music or videos saved in internal memory, do you?

papabear4jc

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
No, all my music and video are on my SD Card. I do have a lot of music and video on my SD card, well mostly music and a couple videos.

papabear4jc

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I tried installing the cachecleaner app with the same result. Insufficient storage. So i went through the entire apps list, all caches were already clear. I didn't need to clear any of them.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
menu, settings, applications, manage applications. Click Menu, sort by size.
Which are the apps that are at the very top (biggest memory hogs)? Any of those unusually large?

papabear4jc

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
These are the top 5 in the list and their sizes

Telenav GPS 29.12
Facebook 12.62
Internet 12.57
Maps 11.99
Contacts Storage 10.52

The rest are all under 10 MB

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My telenav is half that, for reference.

In my experience, the stock browser likes to data hog. Unless you have a ton of bookmarks you can delete the data from it with no ill effects.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
These are the top 5 in the list and their sizes

Telenav GPS 29.12
Facebook 12.62
Internet 12.57
Maps 11.99
Contacts Storage 10.52

The rest are all under 10 MB

Telenav - check to see if you can move that to the sd card (I don't think you can move the actual app to sd, but the data file should be movable)
Regardless, it doesn't look like you have a rogue app that is hogging up the space.

At the bottom of this page (where it shows the downloaded apps), you should see the storage used/free at the bottom of the screen. How much is showing as free/used?

papabear4jc

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Telenav - check to see if you can move that to the sd card (I don't think you can move the actual app to sd, but the data file should be movable)
Regardless, it doesn't look like you have a rogue app that is hogging up the space.

At the bottom of this page (where it shows the downloaded apps), you should see the storage used/free at the bottom of the screen. How much is showing as free/used?

It says 1.1 GB used and 58 MB Free

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Do you actually use TeleNav? I don't; I use Google Navigation. I uninstalled Telenav some time ago. You can uninstall TeleNav without needed any Root permissions, and you can reinstall it later (for free) if you decide to.

You can also free up a lot of space on your SD card if you remove the Green Hornet movie that came with the phone. I took it off my phone and saved it on my computer in case I ever decide to put it back on my phone and watch it again.

Sorry, I know this isn't really the subject of this post, but I thought it might help.

Last edited:

papabear4jc

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled TeleNav (well it only let me uninstall the updates) and it raised my free space to 92 MB, however i still get the same error when attempting to update or install any apps.

papabear4jc

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to contact HTC tech support, as they are pretty much useless and will just tell me to do things i have already done.