Phone Arena unboxing and benchmarks..

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Apparently only 1 core is used on the dual core snapdragon processors until the second one is need. That plus the high resolution qhd screen and htc sense which hogs a lot of resources makes the benchmarks lower than other dual core procs.
That's what's being said anyways....it all sounds right though. As fast as this things running I don't care if it only got a quadrant score of 3, i'll still get it.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Apparently only 1 core is used on the dual core snapdragon processors until the second one is need. That plus the high resolution qhd screen and htc sense which hogs a lot of resources makes the benchmarks lower than other dual core procs.

Not sure I buy that. One of the devs on XDA said the higher res display isnt going to throw off numbers that badly. If Quadrant doesnt recognize a 2nd core, why are the S2 and GX2 scores nearly double what the 3D is putting up?

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Not sure I buy that. One of the devs on XDA said the higher res display isnt going to throw off numbers that badly. If Quadrant doesnt recognize a 2nd core, why are the S2 and GX2 scores nearly double what the 3D is putting up?

That's what I was wondering....that also makes me believe that the snapdragon truly does use only 1 core until the 2nd is needed. I may email qualcomm about it later.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Because neither of the other two have an asynchronus CPU meaning they can be turned off and throttled independently of each other.

Also, if you play computer games, and your cpu/gpu is less than top of the line, you will notice a jump in resolution immediately, it does make a big difference. The gpus in phones are powerful nowadays, but compared to gpus in the PC market they don't stand a chance, so for them having to push that many more pixels does make a difference.

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Quadrant is bull****! I ran quadrant on my stock Evo then ran it on my rooted Evo with a custom Rom that run way smoother and faster and it gave me a lower score than stock. Real world applications is the true benchmark people put too much stock in benchmarks. There are tricks to make a phone score higher than they should....Think certain phone companies have caught on Hmmmmm
Update: ^^And what he said! Well said good sir! Exactly!
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
So the better question is.. When does the CPU think it needs the second core? Benchmarking should be pushing that phone to its limits. Yet not enough to turn that core on? I don't buy that at all. If benchmarking can't get that second core turned on... What will? Also how much worse does battery life get when the second core is going? It's already being said it has so-so battery life.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Because neither of the other two have an asynchronus CPU meaning they can be turned off and throttled independently of each other.

Also, if you play computer games, and your cpu/gpu is less than top of the line, you will notice a jump in resolution immediately, it does make a big difference. The gpus in phones are powerful nowadays, but compared to gpus in the PC market they don't stand a chance, so for them having to push that many more pixels does make a difference.

Ah ok, makes sense.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

Just remember Manny that Android and all the apps/games in the Market are native in 480x800 currently on the phone devices. Yes that will change, but as of right now QHD is stretching the image.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was wondering....that also makes me believe that the snapdragon truly does use only 1 core until the 2nd is needed. I may email qualcomm about it later.

I actually talked to Qualcomm about that on Facebook, and here was their response:

"Well, to be fair, the HTC Sensation & Evo 3D use rad QHD screens which look pretty slick, but def affect benchmark results. Quadrant & Smartbench have GPU as well as CPU tests that negatively impact higher-res screens. BTW, these 2 devices haven't officially launched yet so these test results are based on software that has not yet been fully optimized. Will def be interesting to see how results changed with fully optimized software!"

My initial comment to them was:

"Why do the HTC Sensation and Evo 3d suck so bad in the most commonly used benchmark tests like Quadrant, Smartbench 2011?"

And my last response to which I didn't get an answer yet was:

"
True but the Sensation has been launched so it is final software. As far as the resolution goes the Motorola atrix with its tegra 2 runs at the same resolution and scores higher as well. I watched a lot of sensation reviews and a lot of them think that maybe power management turns one of the cores off which may explain the lower than expected scores? Any merit to that? Many reviewers say the phone is fast, but it just doesn't feel 1.2 ghz dual core fast. Rather disappointing to hear that..."

I tried to rub some salt into the wound to have a better chance of getting a more technical response out of them, but apparently that didn't work :(

Either way, I am still super excited to get mine next week!

Reactions: Djblue

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Just remember Manny that Android and all the apps/games in the Market are native in 480x800 currently on the phone devices. Yes that will change, but as of right now QHD is stretching the image.

I don't think that's true for all. On some benchmarks you will see a black area (such as smartbench 2011), Quadrant and Nena Mark 1 and 2 do not have the black areas meaning they do calculate all the pixels.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that's true for all. On some benchmarks you will see a black area (such as smartbench 2011), Quadrant and Nena Mark 1 and 2 do not have the black areas meaning they do calculate all the pixels.

It is true, just read the Android dev site, and into the coding for apps and games. Android is native at 480x800, and ICS will bump that up. However Froyo and GB are 480x800 native.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

It does matter. however adreno 220 is much more powerful so it might make up for that resolution. The new sanpdragons are designed very differently to make them more effecient. It would be nice to get an explanation. The wasy sense 3.0 runs on it tells me that sense is fully optimized for it while the benchmarks might not be. Either way I care about how fluid the ui runs over benchmarks anyday.

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I actually talked to Qualcomm about that on Facebook, and here was their response:

"Well, to be fair, the HTC Sensation & Evo 3D use rad QHD screens which look pretty slick, but def affect benchmark results. Quadrant & Smartbench have GPU as well as CPU tests that negatively impact higher-res screens. BTW, these 2 devices haven't officially launched yet so these test results are based on software that has not yet been fully optimized. Will def be interesting to see how results changed with fully optimized software!"

My initial comment to them was:

"Why do the HTC Sensation and Evo 3d suck so bad in the most commonly used benchmark tests like Quadrant, Smartbench 2011?"

And my last response to which I didn't get an answer yet was:

"
True but the Sensation has been launched so it is final software. As far as the resolution goes the Motorola atrix with its tegra 2 runs at the same resolution and scores higher as well. I watched a lot of sensation reviews and a lot of them think that maybe power management turns one of the cores off which may explain the lower than expected scores? Any merit to that? Many reviewers say the phone is fast, but it just doesn't feel 1.2 ghz dual core fast. Rather disappointing to hear that..."

I tried to rub some salt into the wound to have a better chance of getting a more technical response out of them, but apparently that didn't work :(

Either way, I am still super excited to get mine next week!

It's a shame they wouldn't comment more. I wonder how the benchmarks wiuld change if the phone wasn't running sense.
I'm with you man, i'm ready to throw this hero out and get my evo 3d next week too

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I want to know how to get that second core to come on, if that is truly the case. I want to see what the thing is capable of. Because obviously games will get higher FPS as well.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
After watching the SGS2 go through quadrant many times, I do believe that they are able to cheat a little bit. Every single time it was pitted against the Sensation, the Sensation finished first, wouldn't you think that would indicate it would score higher too? I remember the old Quake 3 timedemos, the faster it finished, the higher your score (fps) was, obviously.

I mentioned this before, but that first graphics test is stuck at 15 to 17 fps on every single phone, except the SGS2 which makes it to 59 - 60 for the entire run. The walk through test on the SGS2 is also always at 59 to 61 fps. The Evo 3d sticks in the 30 to 40 range and maxes out at 61 just before the turn on the steps. Now this test I believe that the SGS2 just has a more powerful gpu. Now the next one with the planet is suspect again where I have seen a SGS2 get over 100 fps! All other phones seem to be limited there to just 60. I'd love to hear Quadrants input on why the SGS2 gets this special treatment for those two tests.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
It is true, just read the Android dev site, and into the coding for apps and games. Android is native at 480x800, and ICS will bump that up. However Froyo and GB are 480x800 native.

So the higher res display doesnt mean anything until the 3D gets ICS? Wow, thats like next spring probably.

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
After watching the SGS2 go through quadrant many times, I do believe that they are able to cheat a little bit. Every single time it was pitted against the Sensation, the Sensation finished first, wouldn't you think that would indicate it would score higher too? I remember the old Quake 3 timedemos, the faster it finished, the higher your score (fps) was, obviously.

I mentioned this before, but that first graphics test is stuck at 15 to 17 fps on every single phone, except the SGS2 which makes it to 59 - 60 for the entire run. The walk through test on the SGS2 is also always at 59 to 61 fps. The Evo 3d sticks in the 30 to 40 range and maxes out at 61 just before the turn on the steps. Now this test I believe that the SGS2 just has a more powerful gpu. Now the next one with the planet is suspect again where I have seen a SGS2 get over 100 fps! All other phones seem to be limited there to just 60. I'd love to hear Quadrants input on why the SGS2 gets this special treatment for those two tests.

Your catching on!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

I have done multiple benchmarks on PC's and finishing first never means higher scores. Remember that Samsung caps it's FPS at 60fps, so it is capable of more then that. HTC caps at 60fps, and LG caps at 100fps I believe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress