Which Is Better: .mpo Format, Or .jps?

HikariNoKitsune

May 30, 2011
Visit site
So um, I was tinkering around with the camera settings, and noticed that the 3D stills can be taken in either .mpo format, or .jps.

So, my question is:

Which format is considered better? If I'm going to be taking pictures with this phone, I'd at least like to know which format gives a better 3D experience/picture, and which format takes up less space.

On average, I've noticed both formats taking pictures between 700kb and 1200kb, so size issues don't seem to be all to worrisome... But it would still be nice to know which provides with a better image/3D experience.

thedigitel

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, I can't speak on the technical differences between the formats, but I can tell you that neither format works for uploading to Picasa. I can't find any method of sharing the 3D pictures with other Evo3D users. Hopefully they will open up MMS to 3D with a future update.

splunge64

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, I can't speak on the technical differences between the formats, but I can tell you that neither format works for uploading to Picasa. I can't find any method of sharing the 3D pictures with other Evo3D users. Hopefully they will open up MMS to 3D with a future update.
A .jps file is actually a .jpg file (Left and Right images side by side in one image), so changing the extension to .jpg should allow for editing and uploading to hosting sites. The .jps extension is merely a flag for 3D apps to associate themselves with.

Hope this helps!

TheDanLevy

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
For sharing with other EVO 3D users how about using a public DropBox folder? Or a Google Drive public folder which is only accessible with the link.

As for the formats I've used both and don't see difference so would love to know which is better too. One of my buddies who knows more about the 3D format (not difficult cuz I know next to nothing) said that JPS is more compatible, easier to edit, and to convert to 2D.

Still, I gotta wonder why HTC has the default set for MPO.

Paul_Hawkins_3D

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just got an HTC Evo 3D because I was curious as to whether they were using Nintendo 3DS-type screen technology on Smart Phones.
I was a little disappointed, only LG and HTC provide any 3D tech so far.
Now, as to the difference between mpo and jps, I found that on my Evo, the 4G version, I found the jps to be a smoother image than the mpo.
The mpo appeared to have a more cyan-ish tint and blockier line edges. I had made no external adjustments of the image prior to shooting.
The mpo shuttered at 1920x1080 while the jps shuttered at 3840x1080 pixels.
in my humble opinion: The jps is better than the mpo.

Dario Gemello

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
.jps is a simple .jpg photo with 2 full hd pictures in side by side position (1920x1080 + 1920x1980 = 3840x1080). You can rename a .jps photo in .jpg and can easily see the photo that contains.
.mpo is a format that contain multiple full hd photos (2 or more) with thumbnail, EXIF attributes and MP index FD that provides to inform the system on how to use the various images (not only for the stereoscopic purpose).