EVO 3D Support Group For Palm webOS Users

onesie13

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
perfect task and visual task wasn't working for me. i had itching thumb on a samsung epic before it was alright nowhere near as good as "cards" of webos but still very do-able

aviatordoc

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Late to join the party here. Just got me a EVO3d and getting used to it.
Sad to watch the old ship sink, but time to move on.
What kinda SD cards do you guys have?

doctorzeph

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have become pretty comfortable with my Evo 3D. It now has the functionality that I need with Epocrates and Companionlink/DejaOffice. Companionlink is working just fine for me. DejaOffice is much better in many ways than Classic on the Palm Pre though Classic served its purpose well while I had it.

My thoughts on the Evo 3D vs. Pre:

POSITIVES: I really like how fast it is compared to my old clunky Pre minus. Nice to have so many apps to choose from including medical apps. The 3D pictures and video are great -- something iPhone users don't have. Great to have the weather stats on the home screen without a separate app. The screen is beautiful with its incredibly high resolution. Overall, superior hardware without a doubt. It's a solid phone unlike the seemingly fragile Pre. Hey, the memory's expandable with microSD!

NEGATIVES: I don't like super-sensitive power button--I constantly find myself accidentally turning off my phone. Virtual keyboard is so-so--still getting used to it. I wish it were a bit smaller (shorter) so it fit in my pocket better like the Pre. I also wish the battery life were better--though it's still an improvement over the Pre.

I miss WebOS Internals/Homebrew Community/Preware, card view, physical keyboard. Virtual keyboard is ok, but I find myself mis-typing too often. Rooting looks like a bit of a pain, but maybe someday... Anyway, I'm happy so far with the Evo 3D. I've moved on.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I have become pretty comfortable with my Evo 3D. It now has the functionality that I need with Epocrates and Companionlink/DejaOffice. Companionlink is working just fine for me. DejaOffice is much better in many ways than Classic on the Palm Pre though Classic served its purpose well while I had it.

My thoughts on the Evo 3D vs. Pre:

POSITIVES: I really like how fast it is compared to my old clunky Pre minus. Nice to have so many apps to choose from including medical apps. The 3D pictures and video are great -- something iPhone users don't have. Great to have the weather stats on the home screen without a separate app. The screen is beautiful with its incredibly high resolution. Overall, superior hardware without a doubt. It's a solid phone unlike the seemingly fragile Pre. Hey, the memory's expandable with microSD!

NEGATIVES: I don't like super-sensitive power button--I constantly find myself accidentally turning off my phone. Virtual keyboard is so-so--still getting used to it. I wish it were a bit smaller (shorter) so it fit in my pocket better like the Pre. I also wish the battery life were better--though it's still an improvement over the Pre.

I miss WebOS Internals/Homebrew Community/Preware, card view, physical keyboard. Virtual keyboard is ok, but I find myself mis-typing too often. Rooting looks like a bit of a pain, but maybe someday... Anyway, I'm happy so far with the Evo 3D. I've moved on.

If you haven't calibrated keyboard try this.

Settings>Language&Keyboard>Touch Input>Text Input>Calibration Tool. :)

Reactions: doctorzeph

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Try swype, I use it exclusively and rarely ever get typos. Best VK in my opinion. Could never go back to a physical and I think the market agrees. Hardware keyboards are a thing of the past. Now let's see what Durante can come up with as day as Ui.

Reactions: doctorzeph

cheechmo

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Try swype, I use it exclusively and rarely ever get typos. Best VK in my opinion. Could never go back to a physical and I think the market agrees. Hardware keyboards are a thing of the past. Now let's see what Durante can come up with as day as Ui.
Was that typed with Swype? :p

doctorzeph

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips about the virtual keyboard. I calibrated the keyboard. Now how do I enable Swype on the phone. Isn't it already pre-loaded since I see all the Swype options under settings? Thanks.

I also see a trace function in the HTC keyboard and checked it off, but it doesn't seem to work. What gives?

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I dont mind swype but it's just a pain to stop, correct things if wrong, insert punctuation, etc.

With the keyboard in general, if something's not in the dictionary and you type it manually, the correction gets inserted automatically. For most things, thats great and its the purpose of autocorrect, but other times it's just a pain in the ass, esp. if you type something wrong, try to go back, and the correction gets put in again.

I'd definitely rather have a physical keyboard.

nightdevil21

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a synergy question. On my Pre, when I sync'd my FB, yahoo and google contacts, I would have one contact for that one person. I guess it did it based on e-mail address. Also, it would automagically make John Doe's FB pic my pic for the John Doe contact. On my Evo, it appears to be bringing in my FB contact's pictures, but it is keeping them as two separate contact entries. So, when I look in contacts for John Doe, I see the one from Yahoo and the one from FB with the pic. When I look at details, they both have the same info. I've linked them, but get the same thing. What's worse is that when I get or make a call to John, it shows the regular default icon instead of matching it to the one with the picture from FB. How do I get around this?

Has this been answered?

nightdevil21

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
So glad you all created this thread... Just left my 8th Pre-... just can't DO IT ANYMORE. I have them several chances and while I love my palm pre... I want something new, updated, and something i know that won't need replacing every 5 months due to quality.

onesie13

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
im using swiftkeyx the prediction on this is amazing. im barely hitting the correct keys and it still knows lol. Though i must admit i miss the tactile feel of the pre's keyboard

doctorzeph

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning to purchase and install a larger microSD card (16 or 32 GB) in the Evo 3D.

Do you have any suggestions, recommendations before I do this?

I want to make sure that all of the data gets properly transferred from the pre-installed 8GB card to the larger card. Thanks!

doctorzeph

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Copying and pasting the files from the 8 GB micro SD card to the new SanDisk 32 GB micro SD card work well. I'm loving my Evo 3D though it's a tad big for my pants pockets. I do like how solid it is though compared to the subpar hardware of the Pre minus. This phone is FAST and now has plenty of storage space thanks to the new 32 GB card.

eovnu87435ds

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Why is this a sticky when there are more important issues?

Well, there are a large number of WebOS users out in the world, and the majority of them are on Sprint and using the Pre -. That being the case, the people who stick with webOS are the early adopters who love the software and can see potential in it(see their homebrew community, one of the best communities out there.) This also means they bought their phone in June 2009, which lines them up for a 2 year renewal at the release of the 3VO. When HPalm came out and said no Pre3 for sprint(or any US carrier), many sprint Pre users decided to jump to the world of android, and directly to the flagship product of the 3VO.

Even with the iPhone 4S coming out, most WebOS users prefer Android to it because of it's openness, just like WebOS, which is another reason they will be eyeing down the evo 3D.

And of course it is common courtesy to extend to AndroidCentral's sister site, PreCentral(which happens to be the #1 hub for homebrew and development).

And of course it is only a matter of one extra line of text to ignore if you don't care about it :p

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Why is this a sticky when there are more important issues?
Really?

Well, there are a large number of WebOS users out in the world, and the majority of them are on Sprint and using the Pre -. That being the case, the people who stick with webOS are the early adopters who love the software and can see potential in it(see their homebrew community, one of the best communities out there.) This also means they bought their phone in June 2009, which lines them up for a 2 year renewal at the release of the 3VO. When HPalm came out and said no Pre3 for sprint(or any US carrier), many sprint Pre users decided to jump to the world of android, and directly to the flagship product of the 3VO.

Even with the iPhone 4S coming out, most WebOS users prefer Android to it because of it's openness, just like WebOS, which is another reason they will be eyeing down the evo 3D.

And of course it is common courtesy to extend to AndroidCentral's sister site, PreCentral(which happens to be the #1 hub for homebrew and development).

And of course it is only a matter of one extra line of text to ignore if you don't care about it :p

Wow! I acknowledge you for even dignifying his remark with a response. :p

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I am one of those ex pre users, and this thread was a huge help when I went to 3VO...

Yes, me too! There is a similar thread in the Photon forum which is the phone I have now. Very helpful!
Thanks!

It was funny that the post asking whey there would be this thread was post number 335...and this thread has had 24,000 views.

I too am a recoving first day Pre owner...