How to make your Evo 3d run lag free and smoother?

eddyknights

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyway to free up more ram i usually only have from 200-400 free... Also most of my apps are runnin on sd card.. I do have sense running ect in background clock widget from sense ect.. Is there any way for phone to run smoother because sometimes i lag slightly ect but when i rebbot phone its fast

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
They aren't. I don't know all of the technical reasons, but don't use them. They might actually make your battery usage worse.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
They aren't. I don't know all of the technical reasons, but don't use them. They might actually make your battery usage worse.

What is supposed to happen is that since Froyo, the Android OS has gotten much better at managing memory and will kill apps that are sitting in the background when more memory is required. The trouble with running a task killer is that some apps are configured to load automatically. So, what happens is that the task killer kills the app and then it restarts. This constant cycle is what ends up using up your battery.

I am familiar with these reasons, but I was curious as to why McPlot suggested the use of one.

eddyknights

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
well the evo 3d comes with a stock task killer thats always running.. its not a app from market rather than one that comes with the phone so how do i disable it , is it wise.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
well the evo 3d comes with a stock task killer thats always running.. its not a app from market rather than one that comes with the phone so how do i disable it , is it wise.

Although Android 2.2 and above do manage memory a lot better than previous versions, occasionally, one might want to kill a misbehaving app. In those instances, you can use the built-in task manager to kill the specific app.

In Sense 3.0 devices, just drag down the notification bar and choose Quick Settings, then click on Total Memory. That will bring up the Task Manager. Hit the "X" on anything you want to kill.

The problem with automated task killers like "Advanced Task Killer" is that people don't know how to use them properly. They turn on the automated features and the program starts killing apps and services indiscriminately. This causes Android to reload those apps/services (because they really should be loaded for optimal performance), which in turn burns more battery (uses CPU cycles). Then people complain that their battery life is poor.

People don't understand how Android manages memory. The OS pre-loads programs that are used often so they are available instantly. That doesn't mean that they are actually running. They are just sitting idle in memory.

It also maintains a list of previously-run apps (the 8 most recent). Being on that list, however, doesn't mean that the app is actually running. Its icon is there for you to recall an app that you recently used (whether it is actively running, has been killed, or is sitting idle).

With all that said, you can disable the built-in Sense 3.0 Task Manager by pressing Menu --> Settings --> Applications, then unchecking the "Start Automatically--Auto launch task manager after device startup" checkbox. I don't recommend doing it. I think the EVO 3D runs fine with it.

If you are experiencing lag, then you most likely have a poorly-coded program running. I haven't seen any lag on my EVO 3D, but that's not to say that it couldn't have some under extreme conditions. YMMV.

One more thing: There is a difference between a "Task Killer" and a "Task Manager". The task killer is designed to kill tasks in the background (without user intervention). Advanced Task Killer has that capability (although you can turn it off). A task manager (like what is built into Sense 3.0) doesn't kill a task unless you actually tell it to. Otherwise, it only displays the running apps and how much memory they're using.

Klubhead

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
i've been using this: Fast Reboot

if anything starts slowing i run it, back to normal in no time..

i used it with my evo and now on the 3D.. good stuff

.. there's also a pay version which has the option to exclude certain apps

PittsPgh

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
From built in Task Manager, hit Menu and it takes you to applications, then select "Services Running"

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I like a program called Quick System Info.

It's a task -manager- in that you can see what's using how much memory and CPU. Is everything fine? Yep. If it's not, you can kill the individual task. And sometimes you need to do this because they act wonky and use up a ton of CPU.

My wife's iPhone has the same issue every now and then, but Apple won't let you get at a task level and she ends up having to wipe out and restore the phone. I'd rather just kill or uninstall the problem app

Savoy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I like a program called Quick System Info.

It's a task -manager- in that you can see what's using how much memory and CPU. Is everything fine? Yep. If it's not, you can kill the individual task. And sometimes you need to do this because they act wonky and use up a ton of CPU.

My wife's iPhone has the same issue every now and then, but Apple won't let you get at a task level and she ends up having to wipe out and restore the phone. I'd rather just kill or uninstall the problem app

Ahh very nice dude thank you for that info. I'm gonna download that app first chance I get later on. I've been looking for something that would replicate a windows task manager where I can see all the running processes on my system, how much ram they are using and also cpu cycles if any. I've been missing this in android since my G1 3 years ago lol. This is exactly what I need, thanks.

PhoneJunkie

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I just restart the phone once a day, then go to manage apps and force close apps that won't hurt other things, like stocks, sprint zone etc. The don't show in running services but they are on. I've been running between 450-500 mb free memory.

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
When I bought my 3VO at the Sprint store the guy "installed a must have app for me". When I looked at what was installed, he took it upon himself to install Advanced Task Killer on my phone. I immediately uninstalled it. I couldn't believe he just thought it would be fine to start installing apps on my phone.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Im just curious what people are doing to experience the slow down... My phone is blazing.. Even while installing apps which used to bring my old 4g to a crawl..

I have the same question. Sometimes mine is too fast...compared to my Curve. My wife only experiences it when she is "testing":p different settings...she is so curious like me. :p

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Im just curious what people are doing to experience the slow down... My phone is blazing.. Even while installing apps which used to bring my old 4g to a crawl..

How many apps do you have installed? Maybe thats the reason why yours is faster? I have quite a few but just as much with my Evo4g.

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Mine lags when I'm watching YouTube stuff, or green hornet, etc. Buffering upon buffering upon buffering --- no 4g in my county, no internet at home except the hotspot on the 3D -- so no movies for me I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty