Missing SD card

beh1818

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Did I get screwed, or does this phone not come with an SD card already loaded? I think the BB sales guy might have stolen my card.

yoshi351

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
It doesnt come with a sd card. You get 16 gb of internal storage and you can expand it with up to a 32 gb sd card.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: beh1818

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Does not come with an external card. You have to buy your own, which is how it should be.

It has 16gb internal memory so you don't need a card to use it. Nice option though. I got a 32gb one.

Reactions: beh1818

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
It has 16gb internal memory so you don't need a card to use it. Nice option though. I got a 32gb one.

No it doesn't. It comes with 1GB of memory, and memory is always "internal". I think you meant it comes with 16GB of storage. And of that storage, several GB will be taken by the OS partition.

EeJLP-

May 25, 2012
Visit site
No it doesn't. It comes with 1GB of memory, and memory is always "internal". I think you meant it comes with 16GB of storage. And of that storage, several GB will be taken by the OS partition.

It has 1GB of RAM (Random access memory), yes.

But he's talking about storage memory, a microSD card, which has nothing to do with RAM.

The phone has internal 16GB of storage memory and is expandable with an 'external' microSD card (you put it into a slot inside the back of the phone's case). He's talking about potentially being jipped out of this 'external' microSD card. So again, nothing to do with the 1GB of RAM.

As far as the 16GB internal memory goes. The EVO LTE has 2GB partitioned for app usage and the rest (besides what's being used for the operating system, etc.) is free for photos or whatever else you add like music or movies, etc..

If you run out of app space with the 2GB partition already in the phone (that's a lot of apps most people likely won't even use) either delete ones you don't use or most likely they'll simply start going onto your microSD card (if you have one inserted). Personally, I don't plan on adding many apps. Besides calls, texts, and being my alarm clock; I mostly just use the internet, email app (I use mail.com), eBay app, my bank's app, and I only plan on adding a few more beyond that, since the phone already has mostly everything else I'd normally use (calculator, navigation, weather, listening to music I add, etc.).

Edited for wrong use of 'ROM'.

Last edited:

naldiian

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow, explanation after explanation, all wrong. If it was ROM you wouldn't be able to store anything on it...

The point is, it does not come with an SD card, but it does have 16 GB of built-in storage capacity, as opposed to a much smaller amount of storage that might make an SD a requirement to use the phone for much of anything.

Reactions: silverthornne

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Wow, explanation after explanation, all wrong. If it was ROM you wouldn't be able to store anything on it...

That is quite correct. ROM = "Read-Only Memory." I don't know how this confusion started, but many Android folks seem to be confused about the whole read only part.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

EeJLP-

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Many places have it listed as 16GB of ROM.. I'm mostly just pointing out the difference between RAM and the storage that the main question is about.

Looks like I'm wrong calling it that, so what is the 16GB of storage called.. edited my post to just say 16GB of storage.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just wrong and way off.

I think you need to recheck what you wrote...

But he's talking about ROM, storage, a microSD card, which has nothing to do with RAM.

In regards to computers, when one says "memory" and nothing else, that means RAM and pretty much always has been (unless you go way, way back). He was talking about storage. Storage on Android devices is flash based. Typical storage on desktop computers is hard drive based. And, for example, you would never call hard drive storage "memory".... flash based storage isn't called that either.

The 16 GB of storage in the Evo is not ROM.

As far as the 16GB internal memory goes.

Again, it doesn't have 16 GB of internal memory, it has 16 GB of internal storage (flash) and 1 GB of memory (RAM).

The problem is that incorrect marketing drivel has confused what the word "memory" means, thus, the purpose of my original post was to point out that the word "memory" does not mean "storage" (just a personal pet-peeve of mine). Yes, I do know the terms quite well.... I have a computer BS degree, 30 years of total computer experience, and 25 years of professional computer experience. ;) And I am even a Linux geek!

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Many places have it listed as 16GB of ROM..

Oh indeed. It is frightening how incorrect and misleading most marketing materials are for computer devices nowadays. Most of the specs I see on phones don't even list at all how much memory the device has, only how much storage it has, mislabeled as "memory". And of course they also don't list how much of that storage space is free and available to the user.

I'm mostly just pointing out the difference between RAM and the storage that the main question is about. Looks like I'm wrong calling it that, so what is the 16GB of storage called..

Just that- "storage" or you can call it "flash" or "flash storage". Some people call the external flash storage "SD" or "SD storage" or "external storage". Sorry I am being so picky about semantics. I will shut up now.

Reactions: PhyscoAssassinX

EeJLP-

May 25, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress