Evo LTE in space

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Well not really ;) But I am a little annoyed with the amounts of people saying the camera isnt good enough. Maybe its just to much camera for you with to many options, just my guess.
But I have used many phones to take pictures to capture these space shots. I have never had so many good pictures come out with any other phone, except for the Evo. Even the beloved iphone. its limitation, is it annoying need to be perfect, which means it really wants to be locked on a focus before it takes that picture, when sometimes your in and out of focus and just need pictures to be taken. When trying to take pictures from space, its hard to stay focused. so much can effect it, that if it isnt taking pictures when i push that button. its not good.
Here are just a few of the picture i have taken since i have gotten my phone. Enjoy

Moon
vYDO2.jpg

hvoUA.jpg

7NEUC.jpg

Saturn
KY123.jpg

Venus
obe5V.jpg

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Is that last pic Venus transiting the Sun yesterday? And the Saturn pic is pretty damn spectacular. Excellent job.

If you like some nice space pics, and you're on Twitter, follow this guy. He tweets pics of space... FROM SPACE!
https://twitter.com/#!/astro_Pettit

That is Venus transiting the sun from yesterday. You know I have never sunk into twitter. People tell me do it, and I have an account. The last I heard anything from them was an email that said they missed me haha. But maybe it's time?

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow! What telescope? And what magnification lens are you using?

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS!!! ;)

Its an Orion. The eye piece is zoom-able. its a little more complicated with telescopes. with focal lengths and what not. but, its about 256x zoomed in all the way. but moon shots are best at 192x or less.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
These are some of the best pics I've seen from this, or any phone! :thumbup:
Would you mind detailing some of your process/techniques/settings that you use to achieve these kinds of results?

Sent from my E4GLTE using Android Central Forums

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
These are some of the best pics I've seen from this, or any phone! :thumbup:
Would you mind detailing some of your process/techniques/settings that you use to achieve these kinds of results?

Sent from my E4GLTE using Android Central Forums

Well, beer in on hand phone in the other. its take a bit of practice and patience. Getting the hang of finding the subject in the eyepiece, getting it in focus and all. sometimes you need to hover a bit above the eyepiece to find the sweet spot, sometimes your right up on it. sometimes you just have to risk your eyes, when I captured Venus, it went against all the rules of aiming at the sun. But with that 250 year once in a life time moments, i think one eye can take a hit lol. to my surprise the filters we had worked great, but it was a little scary taking that first look haha. also, the reason Venus is so fuzzy even though Saturn is better yet so much further away. Is because of all the heat from the sun, you know that mirage effect.
but honestly the best trick is quantity. the more pictures the better. out of 50 taken you might only have one that isnt as distorted as the rest. i have tried my DSLRs but there limitations is the size of the len. it doesnt get close enough to the eyepiece. so it doesnt fill the space, so you end up zooming in on the subject to get worse results. because the phone can act more like your eye and get up close it really does work better.
let me know if there is anything more specific you want to know

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
These are incredible. Makes me what to pull my telescope out. Of course I'm not sure mine is powerful enough for these kinds of shots.

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
These are incredible. Makes me what to pull my telescope out. Of course I'm not sure mine is powerful enough for these kinds of shots.

you know the worst part of all this. I live in Chicago. The only stars i see, are the moon and planets. having google sky maps really does help. when all you see is the blue/purple glow from the city lol sometimes, i just wish the power would cut out city wide for one night, i dont think thats to much to ask for, is it??

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Its really amazing in northern lower Michigan and into the upper peninsula. When you get out there in the rural towns with no lights for miles. You can truly begin to see what you are missing in the cities

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey I was wondering what kind of Orion telescope. Those pictures are awesome and I might just have to get myself one of those telescopes, also how Mich is it. Thanks

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Its really amazing in northern lower Michigan and into the upper peninsula. When you get out there in the rural towns with no lights for miles. You can truly begin to see what you are missing in the cities

Oh you mean things start to look like this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM5lM5WEY3Q&sns=em

I wish that was just everywhere haha

Hey I was wondering what kind of Orion telescope. Those pictures are awesome and I might just have to get myself one of those telescopes, also how Mich is it. Thanks

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

Don't know the exact model. But it's a $600 scope plus the additional cost for more lenses and filters. I'll try to get you the specific model next time I'm at it. It's not a cheap hobby... That much is clear

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana