Why I returned my EVO and went back to my Photon 4G

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've really struggled with this decision. I owned the original EVO and actually enjoyed the Sense overlay. With the original EVO, Android was in its infancy and was lacking much polish; Sense really helped make Android functional. Now, its honestly unnecessary. A manufacturer like HTC could simply use a stronger radio, better display, expandable memory & a better camera and outsell a Galaxy Nexus device easily. They would save much money not having to customize any software and would be able to push updates much faster.

Here is what I loved about the EVO LTE:
*SLCD Screen. Amazing.
*Snappiness within apps.
*Design of phone.
*Kickstand (In Theory)

Here is what I disliked:
*3G only. It's horrendous. Unusable.
*Sense & software glitches (reloads, etc)....(ROMs, I know.)
*Kickstand (In usability, its too puny)
*Camera. Its no where near as good as advertise. (Quality, Loading or Speed).
*Button Light Leak
*Screen Flicker
*Cell Radio Strength

lightleak.jpg

sprint3g.png

Conclusion
I'm not saying the EVO LTE is a terrible phone, it just seems to be 'business as usual' over at HTC. They make a product that is very close, but misses the mark.

The flickering and light leak issues are absolutely quality control issues, it will be hit or miss, but there are MANY people who have the issue and I'd rather not keep trying to get a phone that works. I hate to say it, but iPhone remains the only phone that has very little of these QC issues...it shouldn't be that way.

I watch a lot of YouTube content before going to sleep, I hoped a center kickstand would be more stable, but its too small and doesn't hold the phone up in bed with a case. My Photon stays up fine.

The camera app takes 3-5 seconds to load. If its in memory, it loads quicker, but with all the multitask killing Sense does, it never is. Also, when you hold down the shutter, every time you hear a 'tick' it is not taking a picture. It averages 2-3 'click' sounds per actual picture. I was expecting amazing pictures...they are average.

Lack of LTE of course falls on Sprint. Yes I have WiFi at home/office, but I forgot how bad 3G actually was. Loading websites and mapping on the go is painful. I simply can't tolerate it.

I also get stronger signal on my Photon, and it affected me the other day in a basement. I had to stand by a window to make a call, the Photon works everywhere in the house.

I can't commit to a contract with a phone that has all these little issues. 3G is the worst. After all the little glitches above, I was simply going to try another EVO LTE. But after thinking more about the data speeds and zero LTE roll out schedules from Sprint, I cannot in good conscience sign up for a phone not knowing when LTE will be turned on.

I will stay out of contract, perhaps pick up a EVO LTE on Craigslist if/when LTE is turned on, but I am staying out of contract. I cannot commit another 2 years to Sprint. Its been the same song & dance for the last 4 or so years. I can't do it anymore.

decke003

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't say I have any of the issues you have experienced... You may have just gotten a lemon....it happens.

If you have good WiMAX in your area, I can't blame you for not switching. I am fortunate enough to be in one of the first cities to get LTE.

If you have not already done so, you may want to check out s4gru.com. I don't know where you live, but you may find yourself closer to getting LTE than you assume.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why you would rate the kickstand as a con. It works fine, and it works a lot better than no kickstand. Don't like it? Don't use it- how is that a con?

I have no light leaking problems.
I have no screen flicker issues.
Build quality is excellent.
Cell radio strength is no worse or better than my Evo 3D or 4G were.
Camera is fantastic- better than on any phone I have ever used or tried.
Phone is fast, screen is WONDERFUL, battery life is excellent. sound quality is good.

3G is pretty bad, but that has nothing to do with the phone- it would be the same with any phone on the Sprint network in many areas that are overloaded (mine is one of them). LTE can't come fast enough, especially for those (like me) who were promised WiMax and it never came.

Sense/memory management/multitasking: No argument there. It is a constant annoyance. One I hope they fix. I was playing Peggle- and was answering a question to someone (in person) so the phone went to sleep for about 2 seconds. Woke it up. Yep, Peggle had to completely reload! Insane! I can't run 2 apps at once, and sometimes apparently I can't even run ONE? Fortunately this CAN be fixed in software. But will it be? And if so... WHEN??

Do what you gotta do. But it sounds like you mostly just had some bad luck. :(

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My experience has been much different from yours.

I've had my EVO4GLTE since May 24th and the only thing I can agree with you on is multitasking, and either that gets fixed in a software update or I go with CM9 so that problem is a moot point.

I'm in Atlanta and my 3G currently hits as high as 2.2 Mbps and LTE launches here on July 15th.

My camera is exceptional. My screen and all hardware is exceptional.

I love mine!

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^If LTE was right around the corner, I'd probably be getting an exchange...but LTE in Minneapolis is at least 12 months out.

anon(280955)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My friends says he wants to bash his Photon again a brick wall, repeatedly. Different strokes, I guess. But, I guess every phone really is different. The only issues that you've listed that I've experienced (got rid of Sense reloads with factory data reset on day 2) is the lack of 4G after I had become used to it (not technically the phones fault) and I have a little bit a capacitive button light leak ... although, not even half as bad as what you've shown. :confused:
In the end, you have to do what's right for you ... regardless of the opinions and statements of others.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Can't blame the op for the nuisances. Locking into a two year contract with a phone that you're not happy with is a long time.

jm0

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
edited by moderator

And OP i agree you got a CRAPTASTIC device with all that nasty light bleeding but most devices dont have that problem. As far as Sense and signal issues, well we just have to deal with it FOR NOW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, the speedtest screenshot looks suspiciously familiar.....In fact, it looks like what I got the other day:( (and I'm nowhere near MN)

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
My experience has been much different from yours.

I've had my EVO4GLTE since May 24th and the only thing I can agree with you on is multitasking, and either that gets fixed in a software update or I go with CM9 so that problem is a moot point.

I'm in Atlanta and my 3G currently hits as high as 2.2 Mbps and LTE launches here on July 15th.

My camera is exceptional. My screen and all hardware is exceptional.

I love mine!

How the h&ll do you get such speeds in atlanta On sprint?

I can't even get 100k on 3g

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I get 2.2-3mb/sec out by mall of Georgia in Buford....in town near tall buildings signal is worse...

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I get 2.2-3mb/sec out by mall of Georgia in Buford....in town near tall buildings signal is worse...

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

Oh you're in gwinnett.

I'm in atlanta and 3g is horrendous here

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez