My rant on HTC's marketing

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I was at a Sprint store watching an associate answer a man and his wife's questions regarding the differences between the S3 and EVO. A lot of what he said was a little above their understanding with regards to technical details. While explaining the pros of each device, they said the displays looked about the same and asked which had the better display. He said the S3 had a larger screen and gave a good explanation about how it displays more vibrant colors.

I had to interrupt and asked him if I could show the couple the difference between the displays. I turned the brightness to its maximum and they were wowed. He later stated that the EVO's display was good as well but "..as you can see here, HTC has the demo units setup to advertise the Beats Audio technology".

Well for starters I was out of line for interrupting, but he was correct. The display unit had a pair of Beats Solo headphones next to it, and a running advisement explaining the improved sound quality of Beats Audio. I don't get why they spent so much time demoing Beats using a crappy dark video (compared to the S3's ad that covered some a pretty good range of topics) but not focus on the display as well? Had they assembled a more vibrant ad along with maxing out the brightness it could go a long way in letting the product "speak for itself"

Ok I'm done but I realized just how far initial appearance can go in grabbing a customers attention (i.e., TV sets running with all parameters set to their max). I might be in error about the demo, but the whole time I was watching I saw nothing about the display.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

frankiepapa

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I just don't understand why people are so concerned about HTC's marketing strategy....I have seen a number of posts about this in numerous threads and just don't understand. If you bought a different phone because you didn't know about the Evo 4G LTE maybe I can see your concern but this makes no sense.

What if HTC takes out an as during this years Super Bowl, will that finally make people happy?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I just don't understand why people are so concerned about HTC's marketing strategy....I have seen a number of posts about this in numerous threads and just don't understand. If you bought a different phone because you didn't know about the Evo 4G LTE maybe I can see your concern but this makes no sense.

What if HTC takes out an as during this years Super Bowl, will that finally make people happy?

I think people are getting concerned because HTC is getting trounces by Samsung and marketing is part of the reason why.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

For me personally when I read articles stating that sales from the most recent devices aren't meeting expectations, how they market their products is the only thing I can think of. I saw firsthand undecided customers not having enough info to give them more insight about a device's capabilities.

I once showed someone how the Beats EQ sounds when turned on/off. How are they going to get that type of information from a commercial let alone a demo that isn't even setup to show browsing shoppers the difference?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
For me personally when I read articles stating that sales from the most recent devices aren't meeting expectations, how they market their products is the only thing I can think of. I saw firsthand undecided customers not having enough info to give them more insight about a device's capabilities.

I once showed someone how the Beats EQ sounds when turned on/off. How are they going to get that type of information from a commercial let alone a demo that isn't even setup to show browsing shoppers the difference?

And EVO LTE sales obviously haven't been as good as they were hoping. HTC is going down quick

frankiepapa

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
That's why we have these great forums...personally, I would take the Galaxy III in a heartbeat as my wife got one....I made a huge mistake....should have held out for the Galaxy

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
maybe nothing's wrong with their market approach after all........

:-X I promise no more market talk until HTC hits the auction bl0ck :-X

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
New articles out today. Results for 3Q out and HTC's revenue is way down again. 79% drop from last year. Hope the Windows phones help them a bit.

Sent from my LTEVO

Last edited:

teejay69

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok everyone stop blaming HTC for the EVO LTE not being popular. The truth is that its my fault! I picked the Palm Pre and everyone knows what happened to Palm. Now I picked up the EVO LTE and look whats happening!! There you have it! Its my fault!

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I personally could care the less if my phone is popular! And I also know my phone, as is, will last 2 years! I could care the less about dev support, HTC makes a phone that is amazing, without having to root and Rom! This phone is plenty for me, and I love it!

Sent From My EVO 4G LTE!

Couldn't care less. Sorry, pet peeve of mine, lol. What you have to remember though is that poor sales affect future phones. Sprint could decide to go in a different direction and abandon the EVO line all together

Sent from my LTEVO

Last edited: