Screen now turns on when I plug it in. Didn't use to!

sammyc53#AC

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Screen wakes when I plug it in. Or unplug it. Which is totally annoying and counter intuitive. I'm plugging it in to get juice - but the screen on will waste juice. It is also bright as heck which is annoying when me and my S.O. are crawling into bed.

What could cause this? This drove me nuts on my old HTC Phone (EVO 3D). And when I got the EVO LTE, I was RELIEVED this didn't happen anymore.

It didn't do this last week. Not much has changed on my phone. Apex Launcher with Widget Locker are installed, it that's worth noting.

Is this happening to anyone else?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
You are correct that it used to do this on the Evo 3D and it was somewhat annoying. It doesn't do it on my stock Evo LTE.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed it since the last update, but it's been occurring sporadically. It's really a non-issue for me, since I can't seem to duplicate it when I try to...

Sent from my EVO LTE baby!

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is it, but under display settings, there is "screen will never sleep while charging." Mine is not checked and my screen doesn't turn on when I plug in.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

mmmtacos

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Do you have widgetlocker? I've had to uninstall it because I noticed small issues like this that just bugged me unfortunately.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The OG Evo used to do that. I've found that, with the Evo LTE, the screen would turn on when you plug in the micro-USB if:

• The phone thinks it's connecting to a computer/USB, rather than a wall outlet, or
  • The electrical connection is unstable/loose

But sometimes it misbehaves for other, unknown reasons. Like simply pressing the volume up/down button would turn the screen on. In such cases, the only solution I've found thus far would be to reboot the phone.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you have widgetlocker? I've had to uninstall it because I noticed small issues like this that just bugged me unfortunately.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Ok, that explains it. I too see this behavior and I use widget locker. However, doesn't bother me at all.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, I don't have widgetlocker but my device has done this since day 1. The only caveat is that it depends on the charger I am using. It doesn't turn on at all if I use the HTC charger, or any HTC charger, but when I plug it into my car charger which is just a generic micro-USB cable and a USB adapter, it comes on every time. It also comes on when I unplug it from there.

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, I don't have widgetlocker but my device has done this since day 1. The only caveat is that it depends on the charger I am using. It doesn't turn on at all if I use the HTC charger, or any HTC charger, but when I plug it into my car charger which is just a generic micro-USB cable and a USB adapter, it comes on every time. It also comes on when I unplug it from there.

I noticed that too. If it's an HTC cable plugged into an HTC wall wart, no problem. Anything else wakes it up. Occasionally a pop up will even tell me that it's not getting enough power to charge and to only use an HTC charger.

Sent from EVO 4G L(a)TE

sammyc53#AC

May 17, 2010
Visit site
OP Here. I do have widget locker. Which I am finding more and more unstable. I guess it's time to uninstall it! I wish Sense allowed you to customize the lock screen more.

EDIT: Uninstalled it. Now the screen does not wake when charger plugged in. SOLVED!
Thanks guys.

scott8

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
After the update my screen was turning on when I plugged it in. I shut down my phone and restarted it and the two times I have plugged it in the screen has not turned on. ymmv

Kizzmocat

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine has done it randomly since day 1, very rare, non annoying event though, but I'd say take it back, ask for a new one, then you can start another thread about how your on your 19th evo, how it sucks, how sprint sucks, oh and you could probably throw in a little piece about how you got micro scratches on your crappy gorilla glass, with a screen protector on that blocks your sensor while in your front pocket and losing battery so fast that you wished you could change the battery!, but alas, its an evo, and you've been screwed! ....... Wow! Where the hell did that come from? :banghead:

Sent from my LTEVO using Android Central Forums

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a widget locker, and mine does this as well, not really a big problem for me all I do is press the power button and it turns the screen back off. Problem Solved!:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87