Jelly Bean Tips - Post them here

genescuff

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just tried this and it works. I couldn't care less about the Rescue app shortcut not being available, but Polaris Office comes in handy, too bad I have to search for it to use it....first world problems, I know.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just tried this and it works. I couldn't care less about the Rescue app shortcut not being available, but Polaris Office comes in handy, too bad I have to search for it to use it....first world problems, I know.

You can't even "use" it when you search for it. It appears HTC just licensed it as a type of "viewer"/"opener" of documents, not as a composer of them. You can use shortcutmaker to create an icon to launch it, but it just says the file is not supported.

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I got rescue, Polaris office, mirror, and play magazine

but I reinstalled NOVA launcher because
my scrolling wallpaper stopped working
and was the only way to fix it and these apps showed up after reinstalling it

sent from a EVO that survived a Apple attack... thug life

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355544984840.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355544984840.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 296

genescuff

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
You can't even "use" it when you search for it. It appears HTC just licensed it as a type of "viewer"/"opener" of documents, not as a composer of them. You can use shortcutmaker to create an icon to launch it, but it just says the file is not supported.

You can't create a new document with it, at least I can't/don't know how, but you are able to edit documents (MS Office) with it. It's a lot like DocumentsToGo on my old Palm Centro, minus the ability to create a document.

EDIT: After you mentioned creating a shortcut, I looked into it, and found an app on Google Play called "Smart Shortcuts". It works really well from playing around with it for a few minutes. It scans the phone and lists all of the apps on it. Rescue, and Polaris Office show up and are launch-able. It even lists the app Mirror that another user on the forum said was removed with the Jellybean Update.

Last edited:

vipercarvett

May 11, 2012
Visit site
its all else fails factory reset. My wifi stopped couldntconnect and my service was horrible in my home. I reset it worked perfect and my single got up to 4g

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Proximity, and some design issues aside...I LOVE that I can take apps notifications out of the status bar. It was always so darned cluttered.

Mastertech

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I am sure I am overlooking the obvious here, but how do you add a smilie to a text message now?
I used to add them from the menu button, but that option appears to be gone now.

secretmethod70

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Secondly, Google Now is awesome but it does not appear as a stock Jelly Bean update. This version is very blah and not useful. I want Google Now to be integrated with Sense 4+.
What's the difference between Google Now on stock Android and Google Now on the EVO LTE with Jelly Bean?

Proximity, and some design issues aside...I LOVE that I can take apps notifications out of the status bar. It was always so darned cluttered.
WHOA, that setting for the status bar is wonderful!

EDIT: Scratch that. I thought it would allow me to hide an app's persistent notification while maintaining the benefit of it staying in memory. That seems not to be the case... hoping it's just a glitch.

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
is it just me or you can't view pictures in landscape mode in the gallery?

Edit- well I feel like a fool, I had "Auto rotate screen" unchecked lol

Last edited:

secretmethod70

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I performed a factory reset after updating, just for good measure. Now that I'm getting around to disabling apps I don't use, I've discovered that the FM Radio app can no longer be disabled like I was able to do in ICS. Kinda bummed about that. It's not really an issue as far as performance, but I like to get rid of icon clutter when I can.

EDIT: Looks like Friend Stream, Mail, Sprint Hotspot, Stocks, Tasks, and some others can't be disabled anymore either. Disabling them never caused me any problems in the past. It's not going to make me dislike the update, but it's definitely disappointing not to be able to control what runs on my phone like I used to be able.

EDIT2: AH! But there's an option to hide apps in the app drawer menu now. At least I can still keep them all from cluttering my screen.

Last edited:

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Whatever you do, do not go into developer options and select protect sd card. I just learned the hard way as my apps were all acting buggy after selecting it. Took about 6 hours to figure that was what I did wrong. All is well now! Just sayin...:beer::D

sent from my Evo 4G LTE using Tapatalk2

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I performed a factory reset after updating, just for good measure. Now that I'm getting around to disabling apps I don't use, I've discovered that the FM Radio app can no longer be disabled like I was able to do in ICS. Kinda bummed about that. It's not really an issue as far as performance, but I like to get rid of icon clutter when I can.

EDIT: Looks like Friend Stream, Mail, Sprint Hotspot, Stocks, Tasks, and some others can't be disabled anymore either. Disabling them never caused me any problems in the past. It's not going to make me dislike the update, but it's definitely disappointing not to be able to control what runs on my phone like I used to be able.

EDIT2: AH! But there's an option to hide apps in the app drawer menu now. At least I can still keep them all from cluttering my screen.

Yeah, but it really sucks that suddenly there are all these apps we can't disable. Before I think it was just a few, including Sprint Zone that were non-disableable.

I WAS able to disable Friend Stream, [EDIT: and Stocks, and Mail] so not sure why you can't. I also discovered that you can now disable apps even when they have updates installed. Before you used to have to remove updates before you could disable something (which was irritating).

Add to your list of those not allowed to be disabled- Flickr for HTC Sense.

But thanks for the "hide" tip! I didn't even know it was an option!

Last edited:

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes HTC upping the apps we couldn't disable was definitely my first peeve about this update but it's nice that they added the option to hide all their bloat from us. I just hope none of these apps start running in the background.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Put your device on silent? [for camera sounds] Sorry. Forgot to quote. See above.

I think people have already tried that and it doesn't work anymore. The only thing found so far is to plug in headphones/earphones, which will disable it. Personally, I don't care about the camera sound, but I understand why some people have problems with it when taking pictures of pets and other skittish subjects when it is quiet and will flinch from the sound, disturbing the scene.