Guide to rooting phone with HBOOT 2.18.0001

uurel23

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
i have a few questiongs
1. how do i remove clockworkmod?
2. did/does anyone have the adb commands they used in adb to unlock bootloader?
3. i also need the lock method if any one has that
4. im looking for a unroot method to this rooting method, ruu wont update since i have the latest updates
5. last one, is there a way to retreive the roms from ruu and push/flash/install them yourself? that would be :cool: but im sure its a no cant do.......thanks in advance

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have went through every step with no problems until.......The final step keeps coming back FAILED!!!! Where is something wrong?
That really isn't enough information. What final step? You'd probably be better served to ask your questions over in that thread as well - you'll get a better response.

xa3phod

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I am vexed and need some assistance. (Evo 4g)

Right now, I have fastboot usb on.
When I use the fastboot oem command I get this response:
[ERR ] Command error !!!

So its obviously not working.

This phone was rooted before I updated it. When I did update it I had to install a file called PC36IMG in the root folder. Do I remove this file and put in the recovery img file?

I have all the proper drivers and files on the pc.

The steps have become kind of convoluted and its hard to follow. Please help me out, I appreciate it.

~Xa3phod

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I am vexed and need some assistance. (Evo 4g)

Right now, I have fastboot usb on.
When I use the fastboot oem command I get this response:
[ERR ] Command error !!!

So its obviously not working.

This phone was rooted before I updated it. When I did update it I had to install a file called PC36IMG in the root folder. Do I remove this file and put in the recovery img file?

I have all the proper drivers and files on the pc.

The steps have become kind of convoluted and its hard to follow. Please help me out, I appreciate it.

~Xa3phod
What does it currently say on your bootloader screen? If you were previously rooted, do you still have a custom recovery installed? You may not need to do any of this if either of those things is the case.

xa3phod

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
When I turn on the phone here is what I see:

-Revolutionary-
Supersonic EVT2-2 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-6.16.1002
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
Radio- 2.15.00.12.19
Mar 8 2011,17:02:15

HBOOT

Parsing...[SD ZIP]
[1] RECOVERY
Do you want to start update?
<VOL UP> Yes
<VOL DOWN> No

If I hit Yes this is what I see:

Update in progress...

Update Complete...
Do you want to reboot device?
<VOL UP> Yes
<VOL DOWN> No

I click down for No. Here is what I see now:

-Revolutionary-
HBOOT-6.16.1002
MICROP-041f
Radio- 2.15.00.12.19

HBOOT

<VOL UP> to previous item
<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

I select FASTBOOT and here is what I see: (It is plugged into my USB at this point)

FASTBOOT USB

<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

If I try to at this point do the update as I stated in my previous post, I get the error I get in the previous post.

As I mentioned, I installed a filed called PC36IMG.zip which I was told to put in the root folder so I could update to 3.2.2.

Here is why I say its not rooted anymore: (I could be wrong, but since I am no expert I am having issues).

When I try to run the Wireless Tethering WIFI program I get a message:

"Unable to start tethering, Is your device 'rooted?"

From this I gathered that the device is no longer rooted because of the PC36IMG.zip and subsequent Sprint 3.2.2 update.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure you have all the information. If you have any more questions, let me know and thanks for the attention.

~Xa3phod:'(

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
When I turn on the phone here is what I see:

-Revolutionary-
HBOOT-6.16.1002
MICROP-041f
Radio- 2.15.00.12.19

HBOOT

Parsing...[SD ZIP]
[1] RECOVERY
<VOL UP> Yes
<VOL DOWN> No

If I hit Yes this is what I see:

Update in progress...

Update Complete...
Do you want to reboot device?
<VOL UP> Yes
<VOL DOWN> No

I click down for No. Here is what I see now:

-Revolutionary-
HBOOT-6.16.1002
MICROP-041f
Radio- 2.15.00.12.19

HBOOT

<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

I select FASTBOOT and here is what I see: (It is plugged into my USB at this point)

FASTBOOT USB

<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

If I try to at this point do the update as I stated in my previous post, I get the error I get in the previous post.

As I mentioned, I installed a filed called PC36IMG.zip which I was told to put in the root folder so I could update to 3.2.2.

Here is why I say its not rooted anymore: (I could be wrong, but since I am no expert I am having issues).

When I try to run the Wireless Tethering WIFI program I get a message:

"Unable to start tethering, Is your device 'rooted?"

From this I gathered that the device is no longer rooted because of the PC36IMG.zip and subsequent Sprint 3.2.2 update.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure you have all the information. If you have any more questions, let me know and thanks for the attention.

~Xa3phod:'(
Instead of selecting the FASTBOOT option, choose recovery. Once the device reboots, it should open your custom recovery. Then, all you need to do is install the superuser zip in recovery, and you'll be rooted. Your NAND is already unlocked with Revolutionary, so you don't actually need this guide.

Current ROM (BootManager Slot 3): MikG v3.11 w/ICS Lite Theme - Kernel: AnthraX TEST #9

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
P.S. This guide is for HBOOT version 2.18, as stated in the thread title - you have 6.16.

Current ROM (BootManager Slot 3): MikG v3.11 w/ICS Lite Theme - Kernel: AnthraX TEST #9

xa3phod

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate it. When I boot the phone, it gives me this:

HBOOT

<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

It doesn't allow me to move up and down, it automatically says SD checking and gives me:

HBOOT

Parsing...[SD ZIP]
[1] RECOVERY
<VOL UP> Yes
<VOL DOWN> No

This is the update I installed so I could go to 3.2.2 and it is what messed up my superuser access. So at this point I click no and it asks me if I want to reboot I say no.

Now, it allows me to click on recovery, but the phone reboots, goes into a black screen which shows the phone with a ! in a triangle. So whatever I did to upgrade to 3.2.2 screwed up the root and I need to figure out how to reroot it.

Hope I am being explicit enough.
Thanks and hope you can help.
(Is there some file I should be installing in my root folder and should I remove that PC36IMG file?

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate it. When I boot the phone, it gives me this:

HBOOT

<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

It doesn't allow me to move up and down, it automatically says SD checking and gives me:

HBOOT

Parsing...[SD ZIP]
[1] RECOVERY
<VOL UP> Yes
<VOL DOWN> No

This is the update I installed so I could go to 3.2.2 and it is what messed up my superuser access. So at this point I click no and it asks me if I want to reboot I say no.

Now, it allows me to click on recovery, but the phone reboots, goes into a black screen which shows the phone with a ! in a triangle. So whatever I did to upgrade to 3.2.2 screwed up the root and I need to figure out how to reroot it.

Hope I am being explicit enough.
Thanks and hope you can help.
(Is there some file I should be installing in my root folder and should I remove that PC36IMG file?
So you still have the stock recovery installed (that's the screen with the phone & red triangle). You need to install a custom recovery so you can get rooted. For the EVO 4G, RA-supersonic-v2.3 is recommended.

Attached below is drellisdee's Amon RA Style recovery, in PC36IMG format. Just replace the file currently on the root of your SD card, and in HBOOT, when you get prompted to install recovery, choose yes. After it completes, when asked to reboot, choose "No", and then select Recovery from the list. Hopefully, it'll then boot into your new custom recovery.

If you get booted into recovery, you can then select and flash the Superuser zip file from here (if you don't already have it). That'll install the latest versions of the su binary and app, which will give you root access.

P.S. I chose DRS (drellisdee's RA-Style) recovery because it has a few more features than RA-v2.3 (capacitive button navigation, compressed backups, selective restores), and it can restore CWM nandroids. However if it gives you any trouble, immediately run to RA-supersonic-v2.3. Avoid ClockWorkMod and TWRP, as they are highly unreliable on the EVO 4G.

Reactions: TonyC

lmcdroid

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I have gone through the process and everything seemed to work well.

HBOOT shows that I am UNLOCKED :)

However, it also shows S-ON and when I go to uninstall bloatware I still can not. Which was the driving motivaton to dive into this experiment :(

As a Noob I am guessing that I somehow need to switch S-ON to S-OFF. How do I do that? :-[

Both Revolutionary and Unrevoked3 are telling me my system is too new.

UNLOCKED but don't know how to root :-\

Last edited:

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have gone through the process and everything seemed to work well.

HBOOT shows that I am UNLOCKED :)

However, it also shows S-ON and when I go to uninstall bloatware I still can not. Which was the driving motivaton to dive into this experiment :(

As a Noob I am guessing that I somehow need to switch S-ON to S-OFF. How do I do that? :-[

Both Revolutionary and Unrevoked3 are telling me my system is too new.

UNLOCKED but don't know how to root :-\
Unlocking is only the first part of the process. You now have to root.
That requires flashing a custom recovery, and then Superuser, so that you gain root access and can uninstall the bloat. Or, alternatively, you can flash a stock rooted or custom ROM with the boosts already removed.

xavier.420

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to root my Evo 4g and am working to get all the software necessary from the HTC Dev site. In the instruction it says to download HTC sync as part of the process but it appears HTC does not have it on their site anymore. Is it somewhere else? A quick google search only shows HTC sync available from a bunch of random pages with none of them appearing too secure. Any ideas or links to the software?

TonyC

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to root my Evo 4g and am working to get all the software necessary from the HTC Dev site. In the instruction it says to download HTC sync as part of the process but it appears HTC does not have it on their site anymore. Is it somewhere else? A quick google search only shows HTC sync available from a bunch of random pages with none of them appearing too secure. Any ideas or links to the software?

The HTC Sync software can be found on this page:

HTC Help Center

Last edited: