Guide to rooting phone with HBOOT 2.18.0001

wally18324

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess I am really screwed now. Is there anyway I can get this done? Help Captain, Please

RA Revamped
Build: RA supersonic-4.3 smelkosMOD
E: Can?t mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
(file exists)

Move recovery.log to SD
Press power to confirm,
Any other key abort

Moving aborted.

Android System Recovery

Says reboot system now
USB-MS Toggle
Flash Zip Menu
Wipe
Partition sdcard
Mounts
Other
Developer Menu
Power off

Reactions: windbot

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It still didn't work.:( . IO deleted those 2 files. Followed instructions. HELP. P.S. can I still use my phone ? I can feel my goal, it's close. Thanks again.

c:\Android>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
error: cannot load 'recovery.img'
So you got recovery flashed - that's good. You had an extra .IMG on the filename, so I guess you got that sorted out, as you have the correct recovery now.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I guess I am really screwed now. Is there anyway I can get this done? Help Captain, Please

RA Revamped
Build: RA supersonic-4.3 smelkosMOD
E: Can?t mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
(file exists)

Move recovery.log to SD
Press power to confirm,
Any other key abort

Moving aborted.

Android System Recovery

Says reboot system now
USB-MS Toggle
Flash Zip Menu
Wipe
Partition sdcard
Mounts
Other
Developer Menu
Power off
You're in recovery! That's good! Now you can move on to the next step. Have you tried that yet?

Make sure you have an sd card in the device.

wally18324

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes Sir I have a SD card. I installed the Zip on the sd card (su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed zip. I installed by putting the card in a card reader and I put it in the laptop. Dragged the Zip file and put it in the card. Then I put card back in phone and unzipped it, it gave me that option. Does not have an option. Hope this has the same outcome. Installed superuser and busy box from the Google Play ( market ). Still have s on. Is there a way to delete apps that came with the phone? Thanks for all the help.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes Sir I have a SD card. I installed the Zip on the sd card (su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed zip. I installed by putting the card in a card reader and I put it in the laptop. Dragged the Zip file and put it in the card. Then I put card back in phone and unzipped it, it gave me that option. Does not have an option. Hope this has the same outcome. Installed superuser and busy box from the Google Play ( market ). Still have s on. Is there a way to delete apps that came with the phone? Thanks for all the help.
I'm confused by the unzip part.

Once you copy the file to the card, you use Recovery to "flash the zip". Is that what you did?

Once you do that successfully, superuser will work. Then you can install Titanium Backup to uninstall system apps.

wally18324

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes I did, got titanium backup pro, and a couple of others, root explorer, setcpu. What I was trying to explain, was that I couldn't get to mount storage, so I did the next best thing. Took out ths sd card, put it in the sd card reader, put the card reader in the laptop and transfer the zip file to the sd card. Once I put it back in the phone, used recovery to unzip the file. Eureka I was in business. Really don't need to get s off, because I can delete apps with titanium backup pro, like you just stated . Took some sleepless nights, but I did it. Now to experiment with roms. I want to thank you very much for all your help and patience. Shows that if I can do it, anybody can. :)

P.S. now to see what crappy apps I can uninstall safely. Got any ideas ?.

Again many thanks.

Last edited:

uurel23

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

alain84cuba

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Wow thanks a lot for all your detailed info on how to unlock and root my htc evo 4g ! it works perfect and i was able to root the phone ! Thank you !

Question ?
What is the difference on having (S-on) or (S-off) ?

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow thanks a lot for all your detailed info on how to unlock and root my htc evo 4g ! it works perfect and i was able to root the phone ! Thank you !

Question ?
What is the difference on having (S-on) or (S-off) ?
S-OFF is unrestricted access to the NAND partitions of the device. You can flash any image files (signed or unsigned) to the device, including firmware updates such as radios, PRI, and bootloader (HBOOT).

S-ON (UNLOCKED) is restricted access to the some of the device partitions. HTC allows access to the boot, system, & recovery partitions of the device. These can be flashed with unsigned images, allowing for custom recovery, custom ROMs, and custom kernels to be flashed ONLY. All other firmware updates can only be done by "official" means, i.e. returning to stock recovery & taking them via OTA, or relocking the bootloader and running a ROM Update Utility (RUU) from a PC to update.

While S-OFF offers an advanced/power user more flexibility for customization, for the average user, it isn't really necessary to get the most out of your device.

Last edited:

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I am stuck and if someone coudl help that would be great:

......nevermind I figured it out.

Last edited:

wvcyclist

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Holy Crap!! I got through flashing the recovery, but when I clicked the link to download the su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip file, it says the file is no longer there!! Where can I get it?

OK. Found the file, but when I try to install Busybox, the install fails, and says it won't work, and that I need to install a new ROM. Also, when Superuser tries to do a binary update, that fails too. It failed on the last step, and if I try to do it again, it fails when it tries to copy the su file to the /system folder. What can I do?

Last edited:

chucknut32

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Holy Crap!! I got through flashing the recovery, but when I clicked the link to download the su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip file, it says the file is no longer there!! Where can I get it?

OK. Found the file, but when I try to install Busybox, the install fails, and says it won't work, and that I need to install a new ROM. Also, when Superuser tries to do a binary update, that fails too. It failed on the last step, and if I try to do it again, it fails when it tries to copy the su file to the /system folder. What can I do?

Where did you find the file? Im in the same spot as you. thanks!!

chucknut32

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
so i found the file, but while trying to use the command prompt, i'm running into this issue:
C:\Android>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Anyone know what im doing wrong?

budwalablue

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
omg im getting sooooooooo(X INFINITY) frustrated on trying to figure out how to root my evo4g. i tried unrevoked and it asks if my software is too new or something. i read up a little and i pushed the vol down and held the power button and it says locked down hboot-2.18.0001
how do i unlock this so i can make this work? ive tried youtube but the links they send me to never have the software i need to download (mind you im not very tech savy at all) if someone can PLEEEEEEASE help point me in the right direction i would be sooooo thankful cause ive litterally sat at this computer for like 3 days straight trying to research and figure this out maybe im just dumb idk lol

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
omg im getting sooooooooo(X INFINITY) frustrated on trying to figure out how to root my evo4g. i tried unrevoked and it asks if my software is too new or something. i read up a little and i pushed the vol down and held the power button and it says locked down hboot-2.18.0001
how do i unlock this so i can make this work? ive tried youtube but the links they send me to never have the software i need to download (mind you im not very tech savy at all) if someone can PLEEEEEEASE help point me in the right direction i would be sooooo thankful cause ive litterally sat at this computer for like 3 days straight trying to research and figure this out maybe im just dumb idk lol
Best guide I know of is here:

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=3847599

The files you need are in the OP there (and there are mirror links on the last page or so as well).

Mark_Pike

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Can someone send me the zip file I'm suppose to drag to my sd card?

---------- Post Merged at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Sorry I clicked the link above but it sends me to an internet site and says can't find the zip file I was looking for. Please help.... I've done everything except that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress