Will updating my EVO while rooted brick it?

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have an EVO rooted on 2.2 stock. I removed superuser and was wondering if I update to Gingerbread will I simply lose root or will it brick my phone? I tried unrooting and it didn't work. Please help.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
IF YOU ARE ROOTED DO NOT EVER INSTALL OFFICIAL CARRIER UPDATES!!!! Rootings number 2 most important rule. If you want official GB just unroot and go back to completely stock then you can install the Sprint updates. :)

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Here is the thread for unrooting. :)

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...w To] Unroot and return to stock [RUU Method]

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
It will void your root. Idk if you have ever read about people who accept the carrier updates & jack up their phones. Seen countless posts of people with that problem even after seeing other people post to not accept those updates... So just dont accept the updates...

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have an EVO rooted on 2.2 stock. I removed superuser and was wondering if I update to Gingerbread will I simply lose root or will it brick my phone? I tried unrooting and it didn't work. Please help.
Did you remove Superuser because you didn't want to be rooted anymore, or because you wanted to take the OTA to update to Gingerbread?

There's no reason to unroot to update to Gingerbread; there are plenty of custom ROMs, and rooted stock ROMs you can simply flash and be upgraded. While trying to take an OTA while rooted will likely get you stuck in a weird situation, where you end up in recovery, and have to pull your battery to restart your device, it is unlikely to brick your device.

The problem with people trying to take an OTA while rooted and/or NAND unlocked is that most people have a custom recovery. The OTA will only apply correctly with the stock recovery (in fact, that's its most important if not only purpose), which causes people to get stuck when the device tries to reboot into recovery to apply the OTA. THIS IS NOT A BRICK.

But the best way to avoid all of that drama is to do what I suggested above, and flash a stock rooted ROM (or even better, a custom ROM like MikG).