nandroid back up titanium back up...?

derik123derik123

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay, i'm a bit confused about the whole backup process.

First of all... is nandroid the one where when you hold the power button and volume down it boots into recovery. Then when you click recovery it takes you to clockwork(btw i am fully rooted running rvu rom) and back up there? or is it through rom manager and you back up the rom.

When you back up the rom does it save everything? so if i were to back up my rom using rom manager flashed to something else. decided to go back to the backed up rom... all my settings.. apps and everything would be exactly the same?

Could someone guide my thoughts ?

thank you.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Okay, i'm a bit confused about the whole backup process.

First of all... is nandroid the one where when you hold the power button and volume down it boots into recovery. Then when you click recovery it takes you to clockwork(btw i am fully rooted running rvu rom) and back up there? or is it through rom manager and you back up the rom.

When you back up the rom does it save everything? so if i were to back up my rom using rom manager flashed to something else. decided to go back to the backed up rom... all my settings.. apps and everything would be exactly the same?

Could someone guide my thoughts ?

thank you.

1. when you go into your recovery manually, and it takes to you to the clockwork recovery, its because you (the clockwork app) replaced the original recovery, with its own

2. In clockwork app, hitting the "back up rom" feature, will automatically boot into recovery, and automatically run the nandroid back up for you.

3. Nandroid makes an exact copy of your current running rom. Apps, settings, and data, even placement of all your apps and wall paper. Think of it as a ghost image for a pc, but for your phone.

dolfan08

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Backing up through ROM Manager does the same thing as booting into recovery, it's just easier. It will backup everything. If you flash a different ROM and decide to go back, just restore through ROM Manager (make sure you update ClockworkMod Recovery first) and it will boot you into recovery and start the restore itself. Everything will be back the way it was.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
And i didn't catch the titanium question in there. But titanium backs ups apps and data independent of your rom. So if you were to install another rom (as long as its the same android version) Titanium will restore your data and attempt to reinstall all of your apps. You will have to place then where you want them again on your phone.

Titanium should also for from android version to version. For example, i'm a 2.2 rom, i restored all of my apps first, that went fine, then i restored the system data, some of which didn't work. But it gave me errors when i tried to do both at the same time.

derik123derik123

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
And i didn't catch the titanium question in there. But titanium backs ups apps and data independent of your rom. So if you were to install another rom (as long as its the same android version) Titanium will restore your data and attempt to reinstall all of your apps. You will have to place then where you want them again on your phone.

Titanium should also for from android version to version. For example, i'm a 2.2 rom, i restored all of my apps first, that went fine, then i restored the system data, some of which didn't work. But it gave me errors when i tried to do both at the same time.

ah, perfect. i understand it now. Thank you a lot for your help liquid Jesus. you've helped me root my evo and answer my questions. Good job :)

BTW, your sig is my new favorite saying. haha

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
No worries comrade, glad to help, were you ever able to restore your evo back to original? I saw you posted on xda as well.

as4life

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So i finally got the guts to full root my phone (Loving custom roms). Is there any way to nand restore but keep latest text data and such?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
there are third party apps that can back up and restore texts. Wave secure is what i was using for a while.Thanks to the awesome mods here at androidcentral i won a license for free a few months back =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa