Question about ROMS and battery life

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
This may sound like a dumb question, and I apologize ahead of time if it is.... But what exactly is supposed to improve the battery life? Is it the ROM, the kernel being used, or do I have to get SetPcu in order to improve battery life? I've heard a lot of ROMS where people get over 24hrs on a single charge. I'm just wondering if its the ROM, kernel being used or their using setpcu, or is it all the above?

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It can be all three. The best way, that I've found, is using a kernal that allows UC/UV (I.e. not the stock kernal) with say setcpu (or program of the like). Then you can set specific parameters based on battery life, etc.
That aside, you can only find the best way for you by trial and error. A good start would be cyanogen 6, snap kernal 8.1, and the snap widgit. Should do some justice..remember to nand backup

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It can be all three. The best way, that I've found, is using a kernal that allows UC/UV (I.e. not the stock kernal) with say setcpu (or program of the like). Then you can set specific parameters based on battery life, etc.
That aside, you can only find the best way for you by trial and error. A good start would be cyanogen 6, snap kernal 8.1, and the snap widgit. Should do some justice..remember to nand backup

I've heard mixed opinions on the battery life of CM6. baked snack, toasted, and the AC ROM all have excellent battery life. It is a combination of all three of the above. The biggest part is the kernel IMO because it lets you underclock the CPU. setCPU is the defacto app for doing this, too. Here is the thread about setCPU with a really good setup suggested by pingpongboss. I use his settings and have been getting good results. I'm also running the AC ROM.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...erflock-disabler-save-battery-underclock.html

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I've heard mixed opinions on the battery life of CM6. baked snack, toasted, and the AC ROM all have excellent battery life. It is a combination of all three of the above. The biggest part is the kernel IMO because it lets you underclock the CPU. setCPU is the defacto app for doing this, too. Here is the thread about setCPU with a really good setup suggested by pingpongboss. I use his settings and have been getting good results. I'm also running the AC ROM.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...erflock-disabler-save-battery-underclock.html

I figured they all played a part. Was never sure if one had a bigger role than any others though. I'm using VailPak v1.3a. So far I love it. I have setPCU and I messed with the settings but maybe my settings aren't cutting it. I'll def check that thread out. thanks!!

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Netarchy-toastmod 4.0.2 DC kernel

How's that Kernel for battery life? That's the one that comes with VaelPak and so far I'm pretty disappointed with the battery life. I'm using setCPU and I followed the tips from that thread and I'm not getting better than about 10 hrs of battery life with moderate use. Hell I took a 2 hour nap just now and the battery life still drained more than I think it should have given it's been UC'd to 128-245mhz. Which kernels are good for battery life but are still good performers.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You would have to look at the threads for the ROM you're running to see if they have a list of kernels that are compatible. Not all kernels are guaranteed to work with all ROM's. Some ROM's (like the AC ROM) installs a custom kernel when you install the ROM.

If their isn't a list of compatible kernels then you would have to experiment and see if a kernel makes your phone all crazy.

Before you flash anything that isn't recommended make sure you do a NAND backup.

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I can say from experience that baked snack is by Dar the best battery life. I luv the a.c. Rom. The smoothness and functionality are unmatched. and everything works. but u suffer battery life. my fav for the longest time has been baked snack. battery life is 40 hrs for me. that means more than anything. cg6 just dosent have the evo feel for me feels more like droid. plus I wouldn't get a theme to work with it. just sat and rebooted the boot screen. same with toasted delight 1.1. u just have to pick wat u want more. battery life or smoothness and feel. cause for right now it doesn't seem as though we can have both. hats of to all devs tho. u guys make all this possible.