One click root for 2.2 in beta

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
anybody see how this works? been looking at the unrevoked site, and xda and it doesn't say what this actually does.

not a big fan of one clicks myself, saves unexperienced users time up front, causes lots problems down the road.

Point me in the right direction of some one finds it first.

Thanks,

LJ

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
anybody see how this works? been looking at the unrevoked site, and xda and it doesn't say what this actually does.

not a big fan of one clicks myself, saves unexperienced users time up front, causes lots problems down the road.

Point me in the right direction of some one finds it first.

Thanks,

LJ

The unrevoked team said they're not going to reveal what exploit they used to root.

From Unrevoked FAQ (mentioned here)

Will you release the source code?
At this time, we are not disclosing the vulnerability we have exploited to unlock the NAND flash.

That doesn?t seem fair! Android is about open source.
In some senses, we agree; but at times, a tradeoff needs to be made. Releasing the source code for this, we believe, would compromise the greater ability to unlock devices like these in the future. Given the choice between sacrificing the liberty of running code on our handsets and the liberty of reading the code by which we unlock it, we feel that the millions of handsets are more important. It is unfortunate that we must make such a choice, and we look forward to the day in the future that no such decision need be made.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If the exploit was there for them it will be there for someone else, too. So this won't be the only way to root 2.2, but it might be the first.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, thats unfortunate.

This is why i cant agree with using unrevoked. One has no idea what is happening to their device when the button is pressed....

edit: PS, i cant find that official FAQ, only the one on Android police, and it seems that parts of it were "borrowed" from the other unrevoked FAQ's.

Last edited:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Just thinking out loud here.

but can a log cat be run while using unrevoked 3.2? to see what is happening at the command line level?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I might of missed something, but is there a specific reason you avoid unrEVOked?

Not questioning you, just curious.

The reasons that liquid jesus posted, and the fact that they released it and pulled it pretty much at the same time. That's happened with most of the releases that I can remember. I used it at first, too, and then realized it didn't give full root so I had to go the simple root method.

bluediablito

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
just wondering....
if this work without any problem and there reputation was great
would this method of rooting be any better than the other one?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If it unlocks NAND and gives you the engineering bootloader that you need then it works just fine. the issue is that they aren't saying what they are actually doing to your phone to root it.

I'm not (and I don't think anyone else is either) saying that it won't work as advertised. It probably will. And you can choose whatever method you want. If it does what you want and it works then go for it.

anon(9334)

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
For starters there is no other root method for 2.2. The one that came out lastly for the evo was to revert back to 2.1 then root and put on a rom with 2.2. As far as bricking...you wont unless you try. If anything you'll mess up but can start again for the most part

For starters, lol, in my 2.2 ROOTING GUIDE, you gain a ROOT shell on 2.2. So yeah, that's called a rooting method.

If the exploit was there for them it will be there for someone else, too. So this won't be the only way to root 2.2, but it might be the first.

And to gain the initial root shell on 2.2, the unrEVOked team is using the same (partially rewritten for cleanliness) rageagainstthecage bin that I used in my guide. lol

EDIT: hehe my title is "Android Newbie" :p

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
For starters, lol, in my 2.2 ROOTING GUIDE, you gain a ROOT shell on 2.2. So yeah, that's called a rooting method.

And to gain the initial root shell on 2.2, the unrEVOked team is using the same (partially rewritten for cleanliness) rageagainstthecage bin that I used in my guide. lol

EDIT: hehe my title is "Android Newbie" :p

unfortunately a lot of us here don't go over to XDA very frequently. because of that we might not be as up to date on the rooting methods as those that are over there as much (if not more than) here. I kinda rely (and yeah it's kinda cheap) on other people to update on the latest and greatest developments on XDA. I just don't have to time to keep up with everything on both sites. :(

and yeah unfortunatley you're labeled (basically) a n00b even though you can probably walk circles around a lot of us with your knowledge of android. Any how, welcome to the AC forums! :cool:

anon(9334)

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
unfortunately a lot of us here don't go over to XDA very frequently. because of that we might not be as up to date on the rooting methods as those that are over there as much (if not more than) here. I kinda rely (and yeah it's kinda cheap) on other people to update on the latest and greatest developments on XDA. I just don't have to time to keep up with everything on both sites. :(

and yeah unfortunately you're labeled (basically) a n00b even though you can probably walk circles around a lot of us with your knowledge of android. Any how, welcome to the AC forums! :cool:

Yeah, I feel ya, It's definitely hard to keep up with info from multiple sites... I'm having the same problem haha I'm going to release RegawMOD 3 on here (AC) first this time, not xda, see how things go. I'm currently writing a program for the PC to go along w/ the ROM, so I should have everything out pretty soon.
And about the title, lol, I wasn't meaning that I could walk circles around anyone, I just think its a funny title name :p the word newbie makes me laugh, just because how the word sounds lol

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Regaw, so does that mean that 3.2 in very simplified terms, just runs a series of adb commands? Builds upon your method? And can one root, the run a log cat while re-running 3.2 to see what's going on?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

anon(9334)

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Regaw, so does that mean that 3.2 in very simplified terms, just runs a series of adb commands? Builds upon your method? And can one root, the run a log cat while re-running 3.2 to see what's going on?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

No, it's not exactly the same. The root shell in 2.2 is achieved the same way as mine to be able to flash a eng misc partition, but the rest is done in hboot with special hacking. You want be able to logcat because the program spends most of it's time in hboot, and, in general, logcat doesn't let you see commands that are passed like that.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I feel ya, It's definitely hard to keep up with info from multiple sites... I'm having the same problem haha I'm going to release RegawMOD 3 on here (AC) first this time, not xda, see how things go. I'm currently writing a program for the PC to go along w/ the ROM, so I should have everything out pretty soon.
And about the title, lol, I wasn't meaning that I could walk circles around anyone, I just think its a funny title name :p the word newbie makes me laugh, just because how the word sounds lol

I know you didn't mean that, but unfortunately a lot of people will see the title attached to your name and think you don't know what you're talking about. Those same people will look at my title and think I know a lot even though it's strictly based on number of posts. I don't know you from XDA, but I can tell by the advice and replies you've already posted (and by the way others have responded to you) that you DEFINITELY know what you're talking about.

bluediablito

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
just a quick question..........
when you root with this everything stay the same meaning
hboot and pri ext....
why is it that to flash cm6 you need to install .73 hboot?
just wondering why .73 and what is the difference between .93 and .73?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
just a quick question..........
when you root with this everything stay the same meaning
hboot and pri ext....
why is it that to flash cm6 you need to install .73 hboot?
just wondering why .73 and what is the difference between .93 and .73?

.73 is the engineering HBoot, which allows you to install virtually any custom rom. The .93, though the newest, and will let you install almost every rom, will not let you install CM6

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
.73 is the engineering HBoot, which allows you to install virtually any custom rom. The .93, though the newest, and will let you install almost every rom, will not let you install CM6

Yeah I have the .93 and I installed Baked Snack because I couldn't load CM6.. I like Baked Snack so I am going to leave it alone for now... :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer