Nandroid Backup or ROM Manager back up?

MonsterMatt

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok ladies and gentleman I have here a UnrEVOked Evo 4G and Im trying to figure out how to flash custom Roms onto it and then look into this whole kernal business.

So how do I go about backing up all of my data before I go and wipe my phone? I keep hearing stuff about Nandroid backup and S-off and S-on mine currently is off. So will that allow me to perform a Backup?

Or can I just back up my Stock Rom via Rom Manager and go about it that way? (Seems easier this way)

Also say If I use the CM6 Rom how can I go about getting all my paids apps back onto my phone after wiping it? EX. psx4droid

Thanks for any help given,
n00b Matthew

machjuan#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Its much easier and quicker to just backup through rom manager and to transfer apps just go ahead and back them up using titanium backup and dump them on your new rom of choice. The free version of titanium backup will have you install apps one by one while the donate version lets you transfer all your apps at once(recommended if you have a bunch of apps). Oh and here is a tip: If you want to rename your rom with something besides the default time stamp do so before you actually do the backup, because if you rename it after you will not be able to restore that backup. So the option to rename it will come up right before it starts the whole backup process and thats your chance to change the name just in case you want to have multiple roms and know which one is which. I learned the hard way and lost a rom I spent a bunch of time setting up just the way I wanted, so I had to start all over :p

MonsterMatt

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
hboot .93 is that what you were talking about igotsanevo4g?

Okay thanks I did backup via ROM Manager but I was worried when downloading new ROMS that wanted me to wipe the phone clean before they would start :confused:

Also on a side note every time I switch back and forth between Roms will it delete text, call history and the such?

Say if I do back up everything via titanium backup yet im wiping everything how does it store the backups?

Thanks for the help you guys Im slowly learning more while I tinker around.:cool:

MonsterMatt

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Double postin sorry :D but just curious as where I can find screenshots (or previews if you will) of different ROMS? I want to see what they look like before I wipe to know which one looks the coolest :p

Or if you have any specific ROM/Kernels I should like at let me know!

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I cannot seem to get rom manager to do a backup for me. When I select it, it gives me the option to rename, then "reboots" but just stays on the HTC EVO 4G screen forever. It has done this twice, both times I've had to take the battery out to get my phone rebooted. Help? I backed up apps and data via titanium backup, is that good enough..?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I got to second or third the ROM manager back up.. This is what I use.... It's pretty easy and simple...

caramelcarebr, did you make sure your using the latest clockwork recovery file? Not sure if that will help or not... I have not had the problem your reporting since I started using ROM manager...

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I've got 2.5.0.1 cwm. Is this the latest? I also do not have any rom on my phone at the moment and am just attempting to do my first one. So I'd assume it would just be backing up the stock rom. Does that matter?

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got 2.5.0.1 cwm. Is this the latest? I also do not have any rom on my phone at the moment and am just attempting to do my first one. So I'd assume it would just be backing up the stock rom. Does that matter?

I am guessing your phone is rooted correct?

Have you tried contacting the guys who handle ROM manager and see what they might have to say? 2.5.0.1 should be the latest and greatest...

Benski#AC

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I cannot seem to get rom manager to do a backup for me. When I select it, it gives me the option to rename, then "reboots" but just stays on the HTC EVO 4G screen forever. It has done this twice, both times I've had to take the battery out to get my phone rebooted. Help? I backed up apps and data via titanium backup, is that good enough..?

I ran into this exact same problem last night. What solved it for me was to rename the backup from the default stamp, e.g. 2010-09-21-07.06.47 to 2010-09-21-stock.

./Ben

EvoRoy

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

How long are you waiting at the HTC EVO 4G screen? Mine sometimes sits there a couple minutes which seems like forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa