Now what...

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I just ran unrevoked3 on my Evo 4G with Froyo 2.2. I installed Wifi Tether and Titanium back-up. That's all I did. In that exact order. Unrevoked3 was the simple click and root method.

My question is... now what? Do I need to do anything else?

Titanium Backup says it cannot work on my phone even with Root and superuser permissions. Can someone help me out. I don't want this to turn into a thread where people are asking questions about it like on the other Root stickies. I just need straight forward, direct instructions. What to download, what to install, yatta yatta.

Thanks.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
If TB is the only program having issues install busy box. When you open TB there should be a button called "problems" click that and install busy box.

That's assuming you're actually rooted anyway. If you're not rooted, no root application is going to work.

To verify root, download Android terminal emulator from the market and type

su [press enter]

If it comes back with # you're all set.

Cheers!

Reactions: HYDE

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Did exactly what you said and it worked like a charm. Thanks a bunch. Next question is what do I need to do to access nand? Is it imperative to utilize? To be honest... I just want those custom themes... I want my phone to tether and look super cool. BTW the Wi-Fi tether is super slow when I'm connected...

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
You need to download rom manager from the Market you can download custom Rome from there without any of the extra work.

Reactions: truslide

marko358

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You need to download rom manager from the Market you can download custom Rome from there without any of the extra work.

And it's a very easy way to perform full backups of your current ROM.

The OP, some more useful apps to get:

- Quickboot (lets you easily reboot or get to your custom recovery screen)

- Quadrant, fps2, and linpack are 3 apps that can take measurements of key performance metrics for your ROM. If you're numbers are unusually low you'll know something needs to be tweaked, you'll need to reflash a ROM, or you'll have to restore to a previous backup that was working more smoothly.

- Spare parts (With root it will unlock other options not seen before like changing your boot animation)

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I'll look into those, but to be honest "measurements of key performance metrics for your ROM" is all foreign language to me. What would this do for my phone and how beneficial will it be for me?

I've been getting some feedback from other users about unrevoked3. Am I safe with this root method or should I re-root? I'm worried about losing all my data even though I did a backup with Titanium Backup and a Nand backup with ROM Manager. I'm just worried I wont be able to re-root the phone if I unroot it, or that I wont be able to restore all my settings after I un-root the phone.

Doesn't Titanium back up and ROM manager require root to function properly?

I mainly want wifi tether and I'm still learning about ROMs, I haven't used any yet...

thanks.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'll look into those, but to be honest "measurements of key performance metrics for your ROM" is all foreign language to me. What would this do for my phone and how beneficial will it be for me?

I've been getting some feedback from other users about unrevoked3. Am I safe with this root method or should I re-root? I'm worried about losing all my data even though I did a backup with Titanium Backup and a Nand backup with ROM Manager. I'm just worried I wont be able to re-root the phone if I unroot it, or that I wont be able to restore all my settings after I un-root the phone.

Doesn't Titanium back up and ROM manager require root to function properly?

I mainly want wifi tether and I'm still learning about ROMs, I haven't used any yet...

thanks.

"measurements of key performance metrics" is just fancy talk for "Measuring your performance", basically how responsive that specific ROM/Kernel are.

I didn't use the unrevoked method, so I can't say anything about that. As far as I know, Titanium Backup and ROM Manager require root access to function. They are primarily tools used by people who mess with their phone a lot. Also, put the backup somewhere else other than on your phone's memory card. In the event it gets erased, you will still have it.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up, I suppose if I move it to a file on my computer and my phone gets wiped I can restore everything once I re-root and install those apps. Correct?

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up, I suppose if I move it to a file on my computer and my phone gets wiped I can restore everything once I re-root and install those apps. Correct?

Yes, with Titanium Backup, just copy and paste the entire folder somewhere to your computer. You can even have it backup your apps for you along with your settings.