Flashing Kernals Problems

chadrenshaw

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I tried posting at XDA without success. This forum seems to be more helpful.

I've read several forum posts and it appears that others have the same problem but I have not seen any possible solutions, or maybe their isn't one. Its not ROM specific as I've tried several, but I cannot seem to get any newer kernels past Kings BFS#6 to load and be stable. I've tried flashing over top ROMs, tried full wipe and flashing ROM and Kernel at same time, all without success. I recently tried CFS11 and it will boot, appear stable, then random reboots. All this without SetCPU or Juicedefender. So is this a software problem, or just a limitation of my particular Evo?
Would a formatting of the SD card change anything?

Using Amon Ra to wipe and flash with Vaelpak 2.2, but also tried Fresh, and Evio.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Good luck. It sounds like you have a picky EVO like me. I can flash ROM's all day long (accept for CM6) but kernels won't act right. Even though more than one person here has the exact same setup as me.

I'm sorry that I can't provide help. If you do find the answer please post here so I can try it, too. I've tried every different combination of wiping and flashing humanly possible, with both clockwork and Amon recovery.

quocamole

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
you have a picky evo. i can't get past kings 6 either. no big deal to me since i would run kings #6 bfs anyway - it's fast (+1400 quadrant, 35 linpack w/o oc) and batt life is great (draws the least amount of current).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
what's the problem?

Nobody knows. And I just tried again with kernels and vaelpak using Amon. Complete wipe, flash the ROM and kernel in the same recovery session (without rebooting in between). That didn't work. So I tried flashing the ROM, rebooting, going back to recovery, wiping cache and dalvik, then flashing the kernel. Nothing but boot loops. I haven't yet tried a ROM that comes built with a Kings or Netarchy kernel, though, so I'm not sure what else to try.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried using setcpu and setting your speeds to 998max/245 min and chose set on boot and then flash a kernel without wiping?If you haven't try that and if it works then you have your answer.Which would be you have a picky evo that doesn't like higher cpu.

chadrenshaw

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I've used setcpu to run my evo all the way up to 1.15, it doesnt like anything higher than that. You mentioned flashing a kernel without wiping first, is this acceptable, I thought you always wiped first? Why would this prove different results versus wiping first?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Nobody knows. And I just tried again with kernels and vaelpak using Amon. Complete wipe, flash the ROM and kernel in the same recovery session (without rebooting in between). That didn't work. So I tried flashing the ROM, rebooting, going back to recovery, wiping cache and dalvik, then flashing the kernel. Nothing but boot loops. I haven't yet tried a ROM that comes built with a Kings or Netarchy kernel, though, so I'm not sure what else to try.

::SMH:: tisk tisk. You should know better. Most of these kernels (king, netarchy) are not designed to be flashed on first boot. They need tweaks to be able to do so. The people that include a netarchy or king kernel in their ROM have modified that kernel to boot on first boot with the ROM.

Where netarchy and king kernels (directly from the DEV) come in is after you've flashed a ROM, booted, then go back into recovery and flash the kernel. They need you to have a stable working kernel that you've booted into at least once prior to flashing them.

Hope this helps.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
just to illustrate my point ......

I don't care what ROM you're on, I don't care the color of your underwear :p

Download THIS kernel, put it on your SD card, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, and give it a flash.

BTW - Thats netarchy universally compatible 4.1.9.1 UFPS/CFS/BFQ/HAVS/UV/OC

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
just to illustrate my point ......

I don't care what ROM you're on, I don't care the color of your underwear :p

Download THIS kernel, put it on your SD card, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, and give it a flash.

BTW - Thats netarchy universally compatible 4.1.9.1 UFPS/CFS/BFQ/HAVS/UV/OC

I will try that, BUT I think I've already tried it. Will post results when I give it a try.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk Pro

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Good luck sir.

Same result. Using the universal kernel (which I had tried previously). I'm on vaelpak right now. I tried it with Myn, too. Had them both up and running and humming along just fine. I'm fine with how they run, but want a little better battery life and performance if I can get it, I just can't figure out why the kernel's won't take.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Same result. Using the universal kernel (which I had tried previously). I'm on vaelpak right now. I tried it with Myn, too. Had them both up and running and humming along just fine. I'm fine with how they run, but want a little better battery life and performance if I can get it, I just can't figure out why the kernel's won't take.

Tell me exactly what happened. Very detailed please. Be as descriptive as possible and detail everything, I'm not good at guessing :) we can fix this .... I hope lol

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I already had vaelpak 2.2 up and running. I also already had the universal kernel (the one you linked to) on my SD card. I rebooted into recovery (Amon) and wiped both caches twice. I then proceeded to flash the kernel. When it was done (it said successful) I rebooted and got the boot loop at the white HTC screen. That just kept coming up over and over again. I did a battery pull and just turned it on to see what happened (without going into recovery or anything) and it did the same thing. I've since restored back to my working vaelpak.

EDIT: all wipes were successful according to Amon.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I already had vaelpak 2.2 up and running. I also already had the universal kernel (the one you linked to) on my SD card. I rebooted into recovery (Amon) and wiped both caches twice. I then proceeded to flash the kernel. When it was done (it said successful) I rebooted and got the boot loop at the white HTC screen. That just kept coming up over and over again. I did a battery pull and just turned it on to see what happened (without going into recovery or anything) and it did the same thing. I've since restored back to my working vaelpak.

EDIT: all wipes were successful according to Amon.

Can you hook it up to pc and using adb, run logcat while trying to boot after flashing kernel. That should some great info, specifically why it bootloops.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Never done a logcat before. Instructions please. :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk Pro

If you have android sdk set up.Open command prompt,get to your android-sdk-"WhateverOS"/tools then before you plug your phone in to your pc,type (adb logcat) it will show you a big log print of the process going on with your phone.It would be better if you type this
(adb logcat > logcat.txt) then plug your phone in,let it reboot twice just so there's as much info as possible.Then unplug your phone,now in your tools folder should be a logcat.txt upload it to your post.(if the txt is to big make it a zip).

Reactions: Kevin OQuinn

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

same problem i had with netarchy 4.1.9.1...

no matter what i couldnt get it to load, nothingbut boot loops, i can load any other kernel BUT that one...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall