Poll: Whose turned off by the $10 buy up for the Evo?

Are you turned off by the $10 buy up

• Total voters

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
No offense, but if 10 dollars a month is deterring anyone from buying this phone, you shouldnt be buying it.

Having said that, if you dont live in a 4g network area YOU DONT HAVE TO ADD 4G.

No that is the problem that if you don't live in a 4G area you still have to pay the $10 fee which is just a rip off. Its not that I can't afford it I just don't want to due and I'm willing to dump sprint all together just for the prnciple of it.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
First, I can imagine quite a bit.

Second, these "previously unimagineable" capabilities [YouTube HD, video chat, etc.] are only if you are on WiMax, so for us EV-DO Rev. A. customers they are not happening, but I have to pay for the "enhanced user experience"?

It's not about the $10 bucks, its about the device-specific premium that IMHO sets a bad precedent for us customers. It is possible that every new device could have a premium attached to it because it is a better phone than its predecessor.

Wrong, you can video chat on 3G and it was specifically stated that you can. its $10 a month, that makes its 79.99 a month??!?!?! what other carrier offers all that (unlimited) for the same price and quality, NONE! and sadly, i dont feel pity for anyone this is a high performance device, if you cant afford $10 you dont derserve to have it, period.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Wrong, you can video chat on 3G and it was specifically stated that you can. its $10 a month, that makes its 79.99 a month??!?!?! what other carrier offers all that (unlimited) for the same price and quality, NONE! and sadly, i dont feel pity for anyone this is a high performance device, if you cant afford $10 you dont derserve to have it, period.

This just proved that you are completely stupid.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
No that is the problem that if you don't live in a 4G area you still have to pay the $10 fee which is just a rip off. Its not that I can't afford it I just don't want to due and I'm willing to dump sprint all together just for the prnciple of it.

Tell them that directly by tweeting them.

Also, there's another thing involved here: we don't want a precedent to be set. You think if Sprint does this successfully that other carriers won't as well? And then instead of $10, it'll be $15, 20, etc

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
The other thing that sucks? First they sold us on the fact that the same phone could not work on multiple networks (I'm not convinced this couldn't be done). Imagine if they'd told you that changing your home phone service (landline) from verizon to AT&T meant your phone would no longer work with it and you'd have to buy a new one. Why do we accept this from cell phone comapnies??

And now, they're telling us that you have to pay more per month to use a "cooler" phone even if you add ZERO extra strain on the network.

Hahaha, this is ignorance at its best, can you take a ps3 game and play it in xbox 360 or wii? wanna know why? DIFFERENT TECHNOLOGIES that is what carriers have on cellphone networks, wanna know why when you go to Korea and you cant understand ANYONE, its because they speak a different language, that is what cellphones with different Carriers do, they "speak" a different language.

the only way that a phone could work on multiple networks is by having multiple chips (GSM + CDMA) plus all the different frequencies. which would cost you about 1k for a phone (who wants to pay that, when you are complaining about $10 DOLLARS?!?!?)

They arent telling you that HAVE to pay $10, ONLY IF you live in a 4G broadcast area do you have to pay for it, why?!?! because SPRINT does NOT own wimax they are a partner and have to pay for it.

zhens

May 12, 2010
Visit site
They arent telling you that HAVE to pay $10, ONLY IF you live in a 4G broadcast area do you have to pay for it, why?!?! because SPRINT does NOT own wimax they are a partner and have to pay for it.

Actually, you're wrong. The $10 charge is for anyone with an EVO, regardless of 3G or 4G network. This has been more than well documented.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

NO. Here's your evidence from a SPRINT spokesperson:

More Detail on the Sprint EVO 4G $10/Month Premium Data Charge - John Taylor's posterous

There have been a TON of questions about this monthly Premium Data charge. I hope this will clear things up.

If you buy the Sprint 4G EVO, you have to pay this $10 charge each month. This is specific to the device. It's not related to whether you are using 3G or 4G. It is required if you have the phone.

Also, from Sprint's own page. Notice there's NO MENTION of 4G:
In order to provide the best experience, HTC EVO 4G will use Sprint's industry-leading Everything Data or Business Advantage Messaging and Data plans that include unlimited Web, texting and calling on the Sprint Network to every mobile in America with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM. Everything Data plans start at $69.99 per month. A $10 per month Premium Data add-on will apply allowing customers to take advantage of a richer data experience than ever before.

Last edited:

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Ya I have to say this is the first time I'm actually considering jumping over to the iphone cause at this point its not much more expensive.

any more expensive? its AT least $100 a month on at&t and that is for 450 anytime minutes. Lets do the math 450 anytime minute plan 59.99, unlimited data (no option here you have to buy it with iphone) $30 more a month, then unlimited Messaging $20 a month, thats a grand total of $109.99. 450 anytime minutes? is that a joke?!?! at least with sprint you have unlimited everything for 69.99 and then for a measly $10 you get 4g (if you live in a 4g area or else you dont have to add it) yea its an extra 20 for mifi but in froyo 2.2 tethering is added in the build so who needs mifi?

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

nice retort without any information disproving my claim.

Ok let me explain why your stupid. HTC Created a device thats more powere and has 4G, sprint is charging extra for you to own the device because it supports 4G but for 99% of the people buying it it has no impact and as a matter of fact I probably wont see 4g in my area for another 2 years or so its completely outrages.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Even IF that is the case is 79.99 a month, still cheaper as he said, who cares?

I care because it sets a dangerous precedent. It's $10 now, but other carriers (if it's successful for Sprint) will start doing the same, and then it'll be $15, 20, 25 extra a month. Before you know it, any new phone will continually increase the price of your monthly subscription. If you think this won't happen, then you don't understand corporations.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

I am one of those that don't mind paying for it, and I don't live in a 4G area as of now. I don't mind just for the fact that I understand why they are charging. You can't just deactivate the 4G part of the chip without it being software that if fully integrated into the OS. Which they are not going to give individual systems updates to those that choose 4G or not. So if you don't have 4G in your area, I understand if feels like a rip off. However if you travel anywhere you will still get 4G service.(not that will sooth any bitterness) Doesn't seem fair, I get it. But the point being they can't just add or subtract 4G reception with a push of a button, so they need to charge everyone. I don't think they are intentional lining their pockets and ripping off all of us that don't live in 4G areas. Is this to their advantage financially, yes. But then again, it's a 4G phone that's how it's being marketed. So either they have to eat money for 4G coverage and data usage from the people that are getting it or charge everyone with the understanding that they will get it eventually. That's my 2 cents!

Last edited:

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok let me explain why your stupid. HTC Created a device thats more powere and has 4G, sprint is charging extra for you to own the device because it supports 4G but for 99% of the people buying it it has no impact and as a matter of fact I probably wont see 4g in my area for another 2 years or so its completely outrages.

Wait, so because $10 a month is too expensive for you to pay, and "4g isnt in my area yet" and you are crying about it, that makes me dumb? go buy a motorola razor you might be able to afford it without breaking the bank.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I care because it sets a dangerous precedent. It's $10 now, but other carriers (if it's successful for Sprint) will start doing the same, and then it'll be $15, 20, 25 extra a month. Before you know it, any new phone will continually increase the price of your monthly subscription. If you think this won't happen, then you don't understand corporations.

NEWS FLASH!!! At&T already did it, YOU HAVE NO CHOICE but to pay $30 a month for data for AT&T if you get the iphone, get a clue.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I am one of those that don't mind paying for it, and I don't live in a 4G area as of now. I don't mind just for the fact that I understand why they are charging. You can't just deactivate the 4G part of the chip without it being software that if fully integrated into the OS.

Actually you can and quite easily. How do you think they keep phones off their network that they haven't activated? All they have to do is when you phone tries to log in to the 4G network, is not allow it in because the phone number hasn't paid the $10.

millerd79

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
$10 4g add On

First I'm sorry for the rant ahead of time...

If the Evo was being released to AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile the Smart Phone data package would be $30 extra a month.

So get over it and let be grateful that Sprint didn't follow there lead.

If you are going to complain over $10 you shouldn?t get the phone. I'm so tired of reading on every other forum that you won't get the phone because of this. You know what I bet you will get the phone. I bet you have already preordered the phone. So stop crying, and grow some.

Ok all done....had to get that out....I preordered my EVO at 10am at my local Best Buy wooohoooo go EVO!!

Runnin_it

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi, all. I've been lurking for a while, but just joined because of the EVO!!! Anyway, I think a better pricing scheme would have been a flat $25 over and above the plan price for 4G AND hotspot. I think a LOT more people would be ok with this, since you get it all for $25 instead of $40...

gstill4

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
it really doesnt matter to me. im geting the hotspot option too...I have the 450 plan and i dont even use half of the minutes so my bill is goin to be about $109+tax. Now if u think about it I think it is worth it because it hass so much to offer. now i can cancel my internet from comcast. it all works out in the end well for me atleast =)

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
The 10.00 extra is a big mistake on their part

I'm Sprint loyal but don't feel they should charge for service many cant use do to lack of availability at current time.