View Poll Results: Will You be adding Hot Spot for $29.99/month?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 14.36%
  • No

122 64.89%
  • Not sure just yet

39 20.74%
05-17-2010 04:17 PM
52 123
tools
    Not sure myself, but I'm thinking maybe an additional 29.99/month - might not be so bad.

I could replace my home internet. With the required 10 dollars plus 30 for this minus 10 dollars discount from from my job, i would be paying 30 dollars more than i am now, which is still 15 dollars less than my cable bill.

Only drawback is the download speed won't be as good (10mpbs). Although the upload would be twice what i have now.

What do you guys think. Will you be adding Hot Spot for 29.99/month?
    Or will you just wait for a work around, after the phone has been rooted?
    05-13-2010 12:02 AM
    Don't need it. I'm on a college campus.
    05-13-2010 12:03 AM
    $30 is pretty steep unless you are going to use it a lot.
    05-13-2010 12:32 AM
    Nope. However, I do plan on getting the unofficial tether and using as much data as I can, since I am paying an additional $10 to turn my unlimited plan into a "real" unlimited plan.
    05-13-2010 12:45 AM
    not with it at $30 no. if it was closer to $10 or $15 maybe but 30 bucks nope sorry not me. don't need it especially as soon as it's rooted you can make your own hotspot
    05-13-2010 12:47 AM
    Maybe offer a capped plan for less?
    05-13-2010 02:11 AM
    I will pay the 29.99/mo fee for the Hot Spot, but just for the first month, after that, I will cancel it, but I don't think it's that bad for it all, but I can understand why some are complaining about it.
    05-13-2010 03:17 AM
    Is there an unofficial tether program for 2.1? If so can someone email me or PM me a link to it?
    05-13-2010 06:20 AM
    No. Why? There are already tether apps for android. You can bet that someone will make custom ROMs to enable this without the fee.

On top of that, Froyo will be coming with a built-in tether app. Which might get locked out by Sprint, but there again someone will make a custom ROM to open it.
    05-13-2010 08:53 AM
    I am getting it mainly because i travel so often I pay 10 at each airport to check my email and get into net meetings between flights. With this I can just enable my phone and I am online and ready to go
    05-13-2010 08:58 AM
    Lets be clear, I will be getting the WiFi Hot Spot feature but I won't be paying Sprint $30/month for it. The extra $10 is enough so I will be rooting and using a non-Sprint option.

And, I will be canceling my datacard plan so Sprint will end up giving up money due to their ill advised pricing plans.
    05-13-2010 09:21 AM
    $30 is way too steep for me. Basically, I would just use it for myself, and maybe my wife, when we go out of town. It's too bad they don't have scaled pricing based on usage. I wouldn't be using it to set up a WiFi Hotspot at a coffee shop, so my usage would be on the low side.

Also, I can't drop my home cable, because I use a Slingbox (app coming soon to Android) and we have VOIP for our "landline." I still need Internet access for both of those devices when I am, and my phone is, away from home.

One last thought... Using if full time as a hotspot at home would require it to be plugged in most of the time at home, and I'm wondering if it would heat up because of the continuous use, and thus shorten the life of the hardware. Not a huge problem for people here, as most will have new phones in one year, 2 max.
    05-13-2010 10:01 AM
    All you gotta do it root... Tethering thru wifi will just happen after that... this is a waste of a charge on your bill if you get it...
    05-13-2010 10:11 AM
    I'd add it for $5, maybe $10 a month but no more than that. You know for a lot of people, there's a point after which they won't pay for something but will instead find ways to get it free. But if it's REASONABLY priced, they will pay for it.
    05-13-2010 10:16 AM
    Here's what's dumb about hotspot:

* Person A uses the Evo only and uses 5GB of data in a month
    * Person B uses Evo + hotspot and uses 3GB of data in a month

Person B, who used only 60% of the data/network that "A" did, pays $30 more!
    05-13-2010 11:40 AM
    I am leaning towards not getting it...
    05-13-2010 12:51 PM
    $30 is way too steep for me. Basically, I would just use it for myself, and maybe my wife, when we go out of town. It's too bad they don't have scaled pricing based on usage. I wouldn't be using it to set up a WiFi Hotspot at a coffee shop, so my usage would be on the low side.

Also, I can't drop my home cable, because I use a Slingbox (app coming soon to Android) and we have VOIP for our "landline." I still need Internet access for both of those devices when I am, and my phone is, away from home.

One last thought... Using if full time as a hotspot at home would require it to be plugged in most of the time at home, and I'm wondering if it would heat up because of the continuous use, and thus shorten the life of the hardware. Not a huge problem for people here, as most will have new phones in one year, 2 max.
    This is exactly how I feel about it. I think Sprint assumed a lot of people would take advantage and use the hot spot as their primary access at home. That just isn't feasible to my family since they will need internet access when I am away from home. I think they would have been more successful pricing the whole thing at $15 and enabling all of the features of the phone in that plan. It seems now that a lot of people are just going to look for a "work around" because the price is a little steep.
    05-13-2010 03:06 PM
    I wonder if I can activate it on the months needed and then deactivate. I only will use this when inet goes down at home 2-3 times a year for a few days...
    05-13-2010 03:28 PM
    My question is if sprint has, or will offer a home wireless router that you could leave at home while away with the phone. I would consider paying the $30 for that setup, which would replace my home Internet which is 5 mb cable that is horrible during peak hours.
    05-13-2010 04:34 PM
    I'll be getting it and dumping my air card. 30 bucks saved right there, 20 when you take into account the extra 10 bucks for owning a EVO. 20 bucks saved is 20 bucks right?
    05-13-2010 06:20 PM
    I don't get all of the crying over this. I can cancel my $59/mo Roadrunner Internet and pay $30 on my cell bill to do the same thing? I'll save the $30/mo and get the hotspot that's good anywhere I go in town... not just at home.
    05-13-2010 06:52 PM
    I say not sure just yet, because I don't currently need it, but with the job change coming up it would be nice to have while out and about. So in a couple months maybe, but not just yet. I want it, but not going to pay $30 right now for it.
    05-13-2010 08:12 PM
    Once they have 4G in Louisville, I will probaly get it to use with my iPad and laptop. Rhe 3G on my iPad can be pretty slow.
    05-13-2010 08:14 PM
    I am considering it. I currently have a MIFI and pay $55 per month, so this will save me $25 per month. I still have 14 months left on contract (I think), so the ETF will be $140, I think. So it will take 6 months to make up the difference, but it looks like it will be worth it.
    05-13-2010 09:26 PM
    I don't get all of the crying over this. I can cancel my $59/mo Roadrunner Internet and pay $30 on my cell bill to do the same thing? I'll save the $30/mo and get the hotspot that's good anywhere I go in town... not just at home.
    I don't get paying $59/mo for internet. I'm on a DSL Extreme 3mpbs connection that sets me back $24.99/mo. Since I'm only 4 months into the contract, even if paying $5 more a month to consolidate my services were attractive, I'd still have to pay DSLE a $150 ETF. I'll revisit the option when I'm off contract, but in the meantime, I'll root my Evo and tether with Froyo's native functionality, thank you very much.
    05-13-2010 10:38 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD