Evo slower than the Incredible?

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Was listening to the Engadget podcast and Josh Topolsky was talking about running the Incredible and the Evo side by side and noticing the Evo was significantly slower. I know there probably aren't to many people out there who are in the position to make this direct comparison but I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I'm not sure why the heck that would be since they have the same processor and RAM.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Probably the Sense UI gumming things up. That's what others seem to think.

They both run sense though. It has to be either

A) An Illusion, maybe it just looked faster or they were confusing it
B) One of the additions to the Evo is making it slower: 4G radio, Larger Screen, two cameras.

stolirocks

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Was listening to the Engadget podcast and Josh Topolsky was talking about running the Incredible and the Evo side by side and noticing the Evo was significantly slower. I know there probably aren't to many people out there who are in the position to make this direct comparison but I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I'm not sure why the heck that would be since they have the same processor and RAM.

Nope. They are the same speed, my friend has both (he's a Best Buy Mgr in Texas). He says they are identicle in speed but the evo is much nicer. He's getting rid of his Incredible.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
So under clocked means laggy ?

Underclocked means "running at a slower clock speed than the nominal rating of the chip".

That said, I'm not sure what extrafuzzyllama's point is. The CPUs in both the incredible and the Evo are clocked at 1 Ghz. If the Evo's CPU was rated at 1.5 Ghz but run at 1 Ghz, it would be underclocked - but it would have identical performance to a 1 Ghz rated CPU in the same family when run at its nominal rating. The underclocked chip would just be run cooler and be more reliable, since it wasn't being pushed near its performance limit.

Last edited:

Jordus

Banned
May 5, 2010
Visit site
They are the same damn phone with a different screen (size and type), and one has a 4G radio and a front cam, and the other has a some more internal storage.

I think its either faulty test models or just plain idiocy thats citing the incredible as "considerably" faster.

This is like saying that your Dell Optiplex 755 with a 24 inch screen and webcam is slower than your dell optiplex 755 with a 19inch screen and a bigger hard drive. Its ignorance.

Last edited:

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
It's very possible. While searching for 4G signal, it could lag the phone a bit. I know when the phone radio is searching on the Pre, it bogs down the phone and kills the battery. But with an identical processor (8650), they should be identical in speed.

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree that it could be the human eye -- with the Evo having the bigger screen, it may appear that when placed side-by-side with a similar device, the screen swiping and scrolling may just look like it's a micro-second slower, when in fact it's just an optical illusion.

I really don't think this is anything to worry about -- when the phone gets released and this "rumor" proves to have any credibility, then HTC certainly has some 'splaining to do.

Until then, I think its just in their heads.

Jordus

Banned
May 5, 2010
Visit site
It's very possible. While searching for 4G signal, it could lag the phone a bit. I know when the phone radio is searching on the Pre, it bogs down the phone and kills the battery. But with an identical processor (8650), they should be identical in speed.

well my Pre freezes when doing anything. It's also only a 500mhz processor. (so much for running linux on crap specs)

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I understand they are the same processor but that doesn't mean they will have the same performance. There are many factors. You can have the same processor on different motherboards and see differences in performance.

As far is it just being ignorance, I seriously doubt it. We are talking about a guy who reviews phones all the time and he played with them side by side for 30 minutes according to what he said on the podcast. He said there was a noticeable difference in speed while navigating the UI. I suppose there could be a problem with his unit, but I don't think we are looking at some problem in perception or user error here.

Jordus

Banned
May 5, 2010
Visit site
I understand they are the same processor but that doesn't mean they will have the same performance. There are many factors. You can have the same processor on different motherboards and see differences in performance.

As far is it just being ignorance, I seriously doubt it. We are talking about a guy who reviews phones all the time and he played with them side by side for 30 minutes according to what he said on the podcast. He said there was a noticeable difference in speed while navigating the UI. I suppose there could be a problem with his unit, but I don't think we are looking at some problem in perception or user error here.

and you are also talking about a guy with known biases in certain directions. Engadget (and most tech blogs) despise Sprint for one reason or another.

Also, I seriously seriously doubt there is any internal different when it comes to "chipset" or "motherboard" components when dealing with these 2 devices. Different shell, different couple pieces of hardware that have no bearing on this discussion.

IF there is any difference, I would say it lies in the ROM. Sprint loaded the Pre with some worthless apps and i know they did the Evo too. There could be something in there thats just not jiving properly.

I still have my doubts, though.

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site
what some should realize , is the fact that the phones they gave away at the i/o were "test" phones. not all features worked. and still some will not work till official launch. so the phone on which the comparison was done was not finished product. and also take into account there may be just a lil bias. as thought by jordus. some ppl may not want to piss off big red. i think we need to wait till launch day and see what it does for us.

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I seriously doubt it's bias either, Josh and the rest of the Engadget crew have been raving about the EVO since it's announcement and have been talking up sprint as well in the recent podcasts. He mentioned in the podcast possibly putting up a side by side video, hopefully he does.

If there is any bias going on here I think it's everyone wanting to immediately give the evo the benefit of the doubt lol ;). Which I can understand trust me, I've been waiting for this phone since it was first announced. However with the 10$ mandatory add on with sprint I can get a 450 + data plan from verizon that covers my needs for the same price so the incredible is an option for me at this point.

I submitted an e-mail to the android central podcast, hopefully they can test it in person and give us some verification one way or the other. It could very well be some widget or something that was slowing down the UI. I just want to gather all the info I can before signing up for that 2 year commitment.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Just last night I watched a video where the guy mentioned at the end that the Evo for some reason felt faster than the Incredible. Also, androidandme has a performance test between the top android phones, and the evos score was almost identical to the incredibles scire, I think there was a 6 point difference. Only a few more days and we can finally see for ourselves. Also, I expext quite a few more review videos to finally show up.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Well I have one of the Google I/O Evo's and it is very speedy. I have not tried an Incredible for very long (only for like 1 minute) but I had a Nexus One for about a week, and the speed is very comparable to that.

Now, that's not to say that doing a side by side test, or even true benchmarks would result in equal speed, but honestly, at this speed, you are never waiting for anything. Touch an icon, the app is open. Swiping is smooth as silk. Speech to text starts up instantly. I'm very happy with it :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames