Best Buy Playing Games

njt462

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Wow lets just say that my local Best Buy store is playing games. Allow me to give you a run down of the events. I was due for an upgrade an went in to get a Samsung Moment. It was a nice phone but I was unhappy to say the least with it. When the EVO came out I was very impressed.

I went back into Best Buy since I was still within my 30 day window. And said I would like to exchange this Samsung Moment and pay the difference for the EVO. Their jaws dropped and one the sales guys pulled me aside and said how did you know you could do that. I said, I use to sell sale phones for a other company its called a 30 day test drive.

He explained to me that you could only pre-order right now and that the shipment would be June 9th. I explained to him are you sure it will be here, because that will be day number 29 on my test drive he said they would be there. Well I get a phone call on the 8th stating that all pre-orders have been filled expect for mine and three others and they would in on the 9th guaranteed.

Walked into the store on the 9th, and their is 3 customers ahead of me in line two activated EVOs as new customers and one bought it out right at the full retail price with no pre-order information. I had my pre-order information and about i saw in the line of other people only 2 other people that had their pre-order information I was guessing we were the "3" they were talking about. Well it was my turn. I said I am here for my EVO here is my pre-order information.

That same clerks jaw dropped again and he said I am sorry but the shipment did not come in and we do not know how long it will take. I said BS I know and saw exactly what you did you are just running up your new sales counter because they did not pre-order it you just wanted to sign them up and look back there in the line there is other 2 we are the 3 that had pre-order and you just let our phones walk out. By that time the other 2 were like he did WHAT!!! I said he botching the system and his numbers to look good is what he is doing the oldest trick in the sales book.

The manager came over and said he was sorry that their was nothing he could do for us and that with that I said here take the Moment back cancel the account. He proceed to do so and while on the phone said I was unhappy with service and could not get signal at my house. The manager said oh you want to speak to the customer. He handed me the phone and the lady was like what can we do about the service. I explained to her that it was NOT the service that Best Buy was botching the pre-orders to lock people into their devices and raise their new sales number. She says WHAT put him back on the phone.

15 minutes later the account was closed he refunded me the phone price and the first month bill Sprint did cause Best Buy messed up. Just as the clerk was getting ready to hand me the money with the Manager still standing there talking with the other 2 people with a line of about 15 wanting the EVO mind you I was the in line person and these other 2 talking the manager were back far in line.

The stock boy comes up and says look in this box 3 came in but that is all we have I dont know what your going to do. I looked at the sales guy and the manager and said IF YOU HAVE ANY BRAINS you will give us three PRE-ORDERS the EVO before Dan Hesse hopes in his car and comes across state to kick your ass. LOL

The manager said good point long story short got the EVO but if you pre-order from Best Buy be prepared for them to sale your phone to someone actually there saying I want it I want to sign now.

sYnOnYx

May 20, 2010
Visit site
BB does get a cut. They get paid by Sprint when you renew your contract just like a dealer. BB doesn't pay commission to their reps, but their BB mobile reps might get a small commission

MirrorMMO

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Similar thing happened to me.. actually I'm still waiting:

They said my evo would be in on the 9th, called they said no shipment came in... okay that's alright a couple more days is okay, they said this friday (today) that more will come in... yep! More came in, but apparently, not mine? They said they will have more on Wednesday,... hopefully they will have them then.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Call sprint and ask to speak to retentions. Calmly explain your situation, keeping in mind you aren't mad at Sprint but rather best buy. They should be able to help or worst case offer suggestions and document the situation on your account.

Also if all else fails keep going up the food chain at BB. Ever heard of a website called consumerist.com? If you exhaust all your BB options, start researching EECB (this should be a last resort)

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
DO NOT SHOP AT BEST BUY. They do every dirty trick imaginable and get away with it all the time because when it comes to electronics store they pretty much have no competition. Everyone should treat best buy the way I do, as just a place to go look and touch the things you plan to buy online for much less money and much less hassle.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I didn't even have any problem like that..... When Sprint announced after their big party in NYC to officially announce the EVO I walked into a Best Buy the next day and preordered. At the time I had a Nexus One with T-Mobile. That Friday I put the Nexus One up for sale on craigslist and actually sold it in under an hour... So there I was stuck with out a phone. So I went up to Best Buy and purchased a Hero to hold me over for two weeks. They called me the Monday before the EVO launch and said my preorder would be ready on Friday and they set me up for a 10:30 appointment on Friday. Thursday they called and to confirm my appointment and asked if I was a new or renewing customer. I told him I picked up a Hero 2 weeks prior and I am going to exchange it for the EVO on Friday morning... I was in and out in 1/2 an hour. Exchanged the Hero no questions asked and walked out with an EVO.

Heck today I walked into the same Best Buy (Murfreesboro, TN) and my wife was eligible for a one year upgrade and she wanted to get a new Blackberry... The lady looked it up and then told my wife it would actually be cheaper phone wise to go to a Sprint Store she showed us the 1 year upgrade price at Best Buy was $249.99 and at the Sprint Store it was $149.99 and she got a $50 mail in rebate. She could have just told us the $249.99 was the best deal and been done with it.... But instead she sent us across the street directly to a Sprint corporate store.....

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site
DO NOT SHOP AT BEST BUY. They do every dirty trick imaginable and get away with it all the time because when it comes to electronics store they pretty much have no competition. Everyone should treat best buy the way I do, as just a place to go look and touch the things you plan to buy online for much less money and much less hassle.

I used to work for Best buy Mobile and left for reasons like you mentioned.

Sprint Sales

May 27, 2010
Visit site
The simple answer is...they are there to make money and with the EVO comes a big jump in their quota. The manager is trying to use as many of their EVOs to sell to customers to keep their job. When you buy a phone to "get you by", the store takes a hit on the first return, lose a phone to sell to a new customer and could result in getting in trouble for not hitting their sales quota. I'm sure you don't really care as you are the customer and you are always right but I'm sure the manager wants to make their sales quota more than you want an EVO. We are only using EVOs for new lines as that's the only way we'll be able to hit our insane quota this month. Exchanges have about a 0% chance of seeing an EVO for a few weeks in our store.

MirrorMMO

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I didn't even have any problem like that..... When Sprint announced after their big party in NYC to officially announce the EVO I walked into a Best Buy the next day and preordered. At the time I had a Nexus One with T-Mobile. That Friday I put the Nexus One up for sale on craigslist and actually sold it in under an hour... So there I was stuck with out a phone. So I went up to Best Buy and purchased a Hero to hold me over for two weeks. They called me the Monday before the EVO launch and said my preorder would be ready on Friday and they set me up for a 10:30 appointment on Friday. Thursday they called and to confirm my appointment and asked if I was a new or renewing customer. I told him I picked up a Hero 2 weeks prior and I am going to exchange it for the EVO on Friday morning... I was in and out in 1/2 an hour. Exchanged the Hero no questions asked and walked out with an EVO.

Heck today I walked into the same Best Buy (Murfreesboro, TN) and my wife was eligible for a one year upgrade and she wanted to get a new Blackberry... The lady looked it up and then told my wife it would actually be cheaper phone wise to go to a Sprint Store she showed us the 1 year upgrade price at Best Buy was $249.99 and at the Sprint Store it was $149.99 and she got a $50 mail in rebate. She could have just told us the $249.99 was the best deal and been done with it.... But instead she sent us across the street directly to a Sprint corporate store.....

You have a good Best Buy I guess. Re-called Best Buy saying that I am a pre-ordering the evo (on my cell phone instead of my home phone this time), they said they will have some in stock on NEXT friday! Not next Wednesday but next friday! They keep moving back the date!!

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
@OP

I still would have called and reported them to someone in higher management @ sprint if I was you. Actually writing a letter would have been a better way to go since a written letter tends to tell people you are seriously pissed since you took the time to actually write a letter and mail it in.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You have a good Best Buy I guess. Re-called Best Buy saying that I am a pre-ordering the evo (on my cell phone instead of my home phone this time), they said they will have some in stock on NEXT friday! Not next Wednesday but next friday! They keep moving back the date!!

Good luck man. Hey I am a full time Area Sales Rep... I cover the entire states of TN, KY and every thing north of Birmingham in AL... I know all about Quota's, Targets/Goals and I also know a thing or two about customer service. You never fully know how much pissing off one customer can cause you damage in the future. I try to treat my million dollar plus a year customers just as well as the guys who spend just a few thousand bucks a year with me.

That little guy you just pissed off by screwing him over on his EVO because he wants to exchange his moment just so you can get that extra sale... That little guy might get pissed off take his business to Verizon and then 2 years down the road he now employs 20 people and now needs 20 phones all with unlimited talk, text and data, corporate e-mail and insurance.... and he is at Verizon on a new Droid instead of at Sprint because you gave him the run around 2 years ago on an EVO he really wanted.

I have been in sales for going on 10 years now and I make customer service my # 1 priority over any thing else. Once you do that your sales/quota's/goals/targets will all take care of themselves... I don't return to any place that bites my hand and treats me like trash or if a guy isn't willing to help me on my $5.00 purchase because he thinks the guy next to me wants to spend $5,000.....

kbass24emtp

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm so glad that I went to Sprint to get mine. I also did the pre order with BB. Did not get my order in time for the first wave, and it was supposed to be on the 9th or 11th. Out of luck I called my Sprint store the Saturday after the release and they had some, so I just got it. So glad I did. Now I'm just wondering if BB is ever going to call me to tell my that my pre order is in.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had the Invisible Shield pre-installed on it so it had my name on the box it when I went to pick it up.

I guess that is an easy way to lock it down to you since they won't sell it to anyone probably with the 3rd party product installed on it. I would hope anyway... i:Di

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty