EVO Hotspot Feature

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I have not subscribed to the Sprint hotspot feature since it is $30. Just more than I want to pay for now.

I did test it yesterday just to see what it could do. It was simple and fast. Everyone in the office that it was so cool and were amazed at how fast it was.

I was also surprised that it worked without me subscribing to it.

Last night I was at Sprint and asked them about it. I know somewhere on this forum someone had mentioned it was free for a couple of weeks or something. Sprint said absolutely not! I asked why it worked if I hadn't signed up for it and he said it will work and they can track it. If you use it too much they will just turn off the phone and you have to come have it started up again---with a fee.

It does work very simply and is very fast but using it without signing up for it could be a problem if they shut off your phone. So be warned.

If it was only $20 I might do it.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i read the same thing that the hotspot was temporarily free via a loophole until July only with 4G. well i'm in a 4G market and i tried it twice and it did not work. i could connect WIFI but there was no internet connection - i got an error message. yes i turned on 4G. i simply wanted to test it.

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm in a 4G area also and that is how I connected. I had a decent 4G signal yesterday which does seem to vary quite a bit.

I just wanted to test it and see how it worked. I used it for about 15 minutes. I was worried about Sprint "finding out" and getting charged for it.

EVOjet

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the Hotspot feature (3G only) and found it on par with my wireless router through Comcast cable. This was Monday during the day. However, last night (8-9pm), I found it to be much, much slower. I was unable to watch streaming video and download a TV episode on iTunes.

Wondering if the service is overtaxed at peak talk/data times and that is the reason for poor performance?

gbm85

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
i read the same thing that the hotspot was temporarily free via a loophole until July only with 4G.

I believe 4G basically does not authenticate to your account, which is why the bundled Sprint apps like TV and Football do not work over 4G yet. At least we got something out of this "bug", though!

Last edited:

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I got EVO on Sunday and added the 30$ HotSpot package when I picked it up. I ended up cancelling my "Clear" account on Monday.

It's not as fast as my 4g mobile device was on Clear. But It's fast enough for my needs. I live in Center City Philadelphia and get a great 4g signal just about anywhere I go on any given day.

I was paying the same amount with Clear as I do with Sprint and it's now all on one bill.

gbm85

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
and thats just wrong that you cant use preinstalled programs on the evo 4G when you are on the 4G network

Yeah, but at least they decided to let us all have a "freeview" of Hotspot instead of making everyone wait until July to use it.

Last edited:

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I had a broadband card through sprint that was awful. We called and cancelled that card today, and turned on my hotspot feature to say $30 days. It works so much better than the broadband card did.

I am also able to receive calls while the hotspot is turned on. Granted I have not tested a long winded conversation on the phone with the hotspot working, but I did have several small conversations.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
just tested the 4G hotspot tonight and it worked. i did periodically get an ERROR 67 DISMISS message and the connection was a little flaky.

i am not ready to give up my $20/month bulletproof home cable broadband yet for a $30/month flaky slower 4G hotspot.

BPHusker

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm heading to Kansas City tomorrow. Once I get in range, I should be able to turn it on and use it no problem without the fear of charges?

bscxtwo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
4G Hotspot function will be free when 4g is everywhere?

I was in a Sprint store today and the lady said that the hotspot function will be free once 4G is everywhere because 3G is why they have to charge.

I think this will be GREAT for Sprint if it's true..

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I was in a Sprint store today and the lady said that the hotspot function will be free once 4G is everywhere because 3G is why they have to charge.

I think this will be GREAT for Sprint if it's true..
I dont see that happening, maybe drop the charge to $20 but not free

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
The 4G hotspot is unintentionally free right now as a bug, doesn't work in 3G. They'll be 'fixing' it in July.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So I was stuck in a city an hour away from home for a baseball tournament. Our games were delayed because of rain. I HAPPENED to be in a 4g area (in/around KC, Mo.) - so

I clicked it.
I tested it.
I ROCKED IT.
I loved it! but $30 a month is steep..... esp with the $10 we're already paying. If the $30 included the $10, I'd probably do it. My kids had their iPod touches on the whole time - it was awesome. I didn't sub to the svc, so we'll see if I'm charged. There was NO disclaimer, nothing warning me that I'd be paying or subscribing.........oh, and the Error: 67 is when are going between 3g and 4g svc. I noticed it gives the error, then you dismiss it and it didn't seem to cause a problem on the wifi devices.. I think it just alerts you to the fact that it's changing bands.

EVOjet

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone using the Hotspot feature on Froyo? Is a connection dropped when a call is made/taken? It was an issue on 2.1, just wondering if they fixed that for 2.2?