Charging extended battery

Rcrdude64

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that my phone hits 100% before the battery is fully charged because it drops about 10-15 percent right after. How do I get it to charge fully?

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The short answer is that your phone will never get charged fully with the stock kernel. Some phones now try to protect the life of the battery because Li-ion have a limited charge/recharge cycle count. Theoretically, by never 'fully' charging the battery and keeping it between 90-100%, it should make it last longer. You can install what's known as an SBC kernel to force the charge cycle to 100%, but depending on your beliefs on what can happen when you overcharge lithium-ion batteries, it may not be without risk of shortening the life of your battery or having it go up in flames (depending what you read, lol). Do some research and see if that last 5% or so is worth it for you.

For the long answer, google 'SBC kernel' and read about it, or take a look at this link:
Are SBC kernels worth it? | TalkAndroid.com

z28marols1

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I've found that simply leaving the phone plugged in for longer after the phone thinks its full results in a fuller charge. What happens is the phone lowers the current applied to the battery as it reaches full charge. Extended batteries have a slightly different curve required than the normal ones, therefor the phone thinks its full before it is. Once the phone hits what it thinks is 100% it will start a cycle of allowing the battery to discharge a bit and then charging it back to 100% (as trickle charging a Li-Ion battery can end very badly and will shorten its overall life). Once this cycle starts it will give the battery more and more of its capacity untill it truely is full. I typically accomplish this by charging it overnight for a full 8 hours but I've gotten similar results off of about a 4 hour charge. Others have had luck with unplugging the phone and then plugging it back in to restart the charge cycle, but thats too much work for me when I can just leave it plugged in. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melseywag