Brand New Down-Graded EVO Screen

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
how is nova better than epson? it's darker and the colors are way off. purple/pink tint? no thanks!
i want my greys to be grey and my blacks to be black. I also want my whites to be super white. I heard nova can look yellow..

nova on the left, epson on the right. notice the grey sense ui elements....
002and003-550x366.jpg

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The Nova has blacker blacks and whiter whites. The way the pictues popped on my camera when looking at them via my phone was great-- great greens etc.

I appreciate rational discussion Just avoid the trolling there is no point. Nevertheless, anyone with legitment opinions; I appreciate it.

That is an interesting application about identifying your screen. I was told that the 003's were all epson and that they have ceased working with nova all together.

Here is the original article I read-a nd the guy who was documenting it. You might think he is a deuche or what not but It still is an interesting tid bit.

EVO vs. EVO: Newer models have new displays – Android and Me

Once again any useful, non-trolling reactions are appreciated ;)

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
If the screen is the most important component for you then I would hold out for a device with the AMOLED screen. It has its issues outdoors though, so be mindful of your selection. I just got my EVO a little over a week ago and couldn't be happier with the screen. It blows away any other device I put it next to. Not sure which HW rev I have, but it's fantastic. By far the best smartphone I have used or seen. I totally understand not being happy with something you have high expectations of. So if it's not to your liking then return it and try something else. Not sure what else will compete, all around, with the EVO though.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking of taking a look at the samsung epic super AMOLED screen but the camera is 5mp ( not sure if there 5 is better than the htc 8) and has vga front facing camera instead of a 1.3 mp camera. I came from bb so I am not sure but I heard HTC Sense UI is the best formation of android for those of us not wanting to root our phones.

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can say I am happier with my 003 - epson screen.

Only good thing that came from a bricked OTA updated phone that was 002 nova.

nothing else really seems much different

but the screen is def easier on the eyes and first thing I noticed was the true colors

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I think the evo on the right has a yellowish tint and the one on the left MAY have a purple tint. I think it appears that way because it's brighter. You have the same effect when comparing TV screens too (was shopping for one this weekend).The text on the screen looks clearer on the evo on the right side however.

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The Nova has blacker blacks and whiter whites.

I agree that the Nova screen looks very good and the blacks look black and whites look white but can't comment on which is better. It looks good to me and I'm happy with it, no complaints.

this is not true. nova's blacks are purple. look at the pic posted above. nova is on the left with purple tint. quit saying that.

Why, that is an opinion just like what you're saying is an opinion. No scientific test can be done based on this poor picture of 2 phones.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think the evo on the right has a yellowish tint and the one on the left MAY have a purple tint. I think it appears that way because it's brighter. You have the same effect when comparing TV screens too (was shopping for one this weekend).The text on the screen looks clearer on the evo on the right side however.
MAY have purple tint? are you wearing sunglasses lol. It HAS purple tint. Just look at the screen on the left again. All that, meaning the clock, wallpaper, and menu bar, is supposed to be black/grey, but they aren't. Just compare it to screenshots of sense ui and you'll see how it's supposed to look. I'll even post a screenshot for you... then compare it to the screen on the right, which is epson.
snap20100530_094626.png

RobbyRob

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Have the 0003 Epson and looks fine to me... buddy has the 0002 and it looks fine to me.... Can't really notice the difference unless you are looking for it. It's a 4.3" screen that plays HD people... Unless the screen is defective who cares who made it...

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
MAY have purple tint? are you wearing sunglasses lol. It HAS purple tint. Just look at the screen on the left again. All that, meaning the clock, wallpaper, and menu bar, is supposed to be black/grey, but they aren't. Just compare it to screenshots of sense ui and you'll see how it's supposed to look. I'll even post a screenshot for you... then compare it to the screen on the right, which is epson.
snap20100530_094626.png

Well I wasn't even sure what screen I had. Just made observations of your two pics. SInce then, I've downloaded that program and followed the instructions to see what screen I had.

What I meant was that if the settings for brightness on a screen is turned up high, the darks appear lighter. While shopping for TVs, I had to try to set up TVs to about equal brightness to make fair side-by-side comparisons.

Here is a screenshot of my Nova screen. The black appears to be very deep/dark to me. I have a different homescreen as you can tell. Makes me wonder if the homescreen you used is actually supposed to be a true black. I don't think we can rule out that the epson screen is not displaying the colors correctly.

snap20100704_023349.png

abrooker

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Was reading up on this and decided to compare since I have 2 evos. So last night I put my evo and my wife's evo side by side. Mine was vibrant, had great looking whites and awesome blacks. My wife's was not as vibrant, the white's were smokey looking and the black wasnt as deep. Found out that I could run a command and check the screen model... well guess what... they are both 003 and both epson screens... both look totally different! Mine looks way better but I have some dead pixels and a replacement is on the way. Not sure if I should be concerned about my wifes model.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Was reading up on this and decided to compare since I have 2 evos. So last night I put my evo and my wife's evo side by side. Mine was vibrant, had great looking whites and awesome blacks. My wife's was not as vibrant, the white's were smokey looking and the black wasnt as deep. Found out that I could run a command and check the screen model... well guess what... they are both 003 and both epson screens... both look totally different! Mine looks way better but I have some dead pixels and a replacement is on the way. Not sure if I should be concerned about my wifes model.

Well that explains it. I guess they are like fingerprints, no two are alike. lol

I'm sure they all look fine with the exception of problematic ones. How often are you going to compare evo screens with the exact same image on the screen with someone else?

abrooker

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Well that explains it. I guess they are like fingerprints, no two are alike. lol

I'm sure they all look fine with the exception of problematic ones. How often are you going to compare evo screens with the exact same image on the screen with someone else?

haha right after my new one comes that I have being replaced due to dead pixels, and then Ill be over it. I truly wasnt comparing though, I was looking for dead pixels like mine had, and I just happened to notice the different shades of white on each... its noticeable - but we will both survive.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I am not the only one! Except in my case i got a 003 with the Navo screen. Even though the Navo was on the 002 as well, my screen seems brighter, better constract, and better color.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
wow....how anal are you? adding to the fact that resolution is such a distant third or fourth when it comes to picture quality. contrast, black levels, color accuracy... on the cameras it's the lens and processing engine that are more important than the sensor. These sensors are tiny and cramming more megapixels just increases the pixel density which means more noise and worse low light performance. Seriously, it sounds like you won't be happy with anything. You're always going to find something to pick about. What about the Moto X? It has three microphones. Can't imagine how anyone uses a speakerphone on the HTC or Samsung. We're getting screwed with only one mic and our voices sounding like crap to our callers compared to the noise cancelling on the Moto. Time to return the phone and switch carriers. It has 8mp on the camera too, but wait, no front camera at all. Geez, screwed again. That's worse than a vga camera. And the hotspot only handles 5 users instead of 8. Where does it end?
Yeah I was thinking of taking a look at the samsung epic super AMOLED screen but the camera is 5mp ( not sure if there 5 is better than the htc 8) and has vga front facing camera instead of a 1.3 mp camera. I came from bb so I am not sure but I heard HTC Sense UI is the best formation of android for those of us not wanting to root our phones.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
wow....how anal are you? adding to the fact that resolution is such a distant third or fourth when it comes to picture quality. contrast, black levels, color accuracy... on the cameras it's the lens and processing engine that are more important than the sensor. These sensors are tiny and cramming more megapixels just increases the pixel density which means more noise and worse low light performance. Seriously, it sounds like you won't be happy with anything. You're always going to find something to pick about. What about the Moto X? It has three microphones. Can't imagine how anyone uses a speakerphone on the HTC or Samsung. We're getting screwed with only one mic and our voices sounding like crap to our callers compared to the noise cancelling on the Moto. Time to return the phone and switch carriers. It has 8mp on the camera too, but wait, no front camera at all. Geez, screwed again. That's worse than a vga camera. And the hotspot only handles 5 users instead of 8. Where does it end?

you're just an angry troll and way off base. But thanks for the invaluable input =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mostafakhalaf