Touchscreen not working -- Anyone else?

Kristy_Joy

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Every once in a while, my phone won't respond to touch. Other times, it will go crazy, and select things on the phone when I haven't even touched it.

It doesn't happen all the time, and turning off the screen, turning it back on again and then unlocking it resolves the issue, but sometimes I have to do it 3 or 4 times to get it to work again.

I guess I'm not sure what I should do about it. Does anyone else have this issue? I bought my phone on launch day at Best Buy. I have done nothing that would void the warranty from HTC, however, no water damage, it hasn't been dropped once, I haven't rooted.

What should I do? I'm sure if I take it Best Buy (I purchased their protection plan), they won't have any idea, and they will take my phone away from me and send it in to be fixed. The thought gives me palpitations.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Few reports here and there on this, but i have never really seen it on my own to that extent.
try and record what it does and post it.

Only thing I have noticed mine do is when I select and sms thread, sometimes it will jump to a diff one and open it.
It doesnt do it often enuff for me to be concerned though. Other times it might not select soemthing on the first tap.
I duno if its the way I tap things, or lag or something?

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes my phone will get sluggish...seems like 100% of its CPU time gets bogged down with one particular greedy process...then when it finishes that, it moves on to the queue of processes waiting for attention, and then it processes those lightning-quick.

Kristy_Joy

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes my phone will get sluggish...seems like 100% of its CPU time gets bogged down with one particular greedy process...then when it finishes that, it moves on to the queue of processes waiting for attention, and then it processes those lightning-quick.

I don't think that is the issue, because I noticed it happens sometimes when I'm typing a text message, and it will start randomly choosing letters that I'm nowhere near or I'm not even touching the screen.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
are you sure its not the way you are holding the phone?
I would get support calls for this all the time with my users with laptops that didnt realize one of their other fingers was touching the built in mouse pad because they were used to an external mouse.

Just something to consider

sqeet

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have been having the same issues, as well - both of them.

When selecting SMS conversations, sometimes I may select one at the top but it will open the last visible conversation at the bottom of the screen. It does that every time it messes up.

Also, for no apparent reason, sometimes I'll unlock the phone and the homescreen wont respond to touch. And it might take 2-4 lock/unlocks to get it to respond properly.

I'm on my third Evo (first one bricked after update, 2nd one took a 3ft fall onto concrete, and it has done this on at least 2/3 of the devices I've had.

Kristy_Joy

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
are you sure its not the way you are holding the phone?
I would get support calls for this all the time with my users with laptops that didnt realize one of their other fingers was touching the built in mouse pad because they were used to an external mouse.

Just something to consider

Trust me, the thought definitely crossed my mind. I've been known to do something dumb like that, but it's happened so much that I've been conscious of where I'm putting my hands and that's definitely not it.

Kristy_Joy

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I have been having the same issues, as well - both of them.

When selecting SMS conversations, sometimes I may select one at the top but it will open the last visible conversation at the bottom of the screen. It does that every time it messes up.

Also, for no apparent reason, sometimes I'll unlock the phone and the homescreen wont respond to touch. And it might take 2-4 lock/unlocks to get it to respond properly.

I'm on my third Evo (first one bricked after update, 2nd one took a 3ft fall onto concrete, and it has done this on at least 2/3 of the devices I've had.

Well, glad it's not just me then I guess. Curious: After the brick, did you update the other two phones? I want to say this starting happening after I updated.

dontspamtheman

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector or case that could be causing it? Sometimes something else is touching the screen making it act crazy. Just throwing it out to ya.

Kristy_Joy

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector or case that could be causing it? Sometimes something else is touching the screen making it act crazy. Just throwing it out to ya.

I DO, but this is the second one I've had on, and it did it with the first one, after I took it off and now with the second one too, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue.

Kristy_Joy

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I updated them both. I do wonder if that's the issue...

I think what I'm going to do is report the issue to HTC, and then maybe just wait for a new update to see if it fixes it, because I'm about 90% sure I didn't have this problem until after I updated. Like I said, I can use my phone just fine, it's just annoying.

barleysoda

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Every once in a while, my phone won't respond to touch. Other times, it will go crazy, and select things on the phone when I haven't even touched it.

It doesn't happen all the time, and turning off the screen, turning it back on again and then unlocking it resolves the issue, but sometimes I have to do it 3 or 4 times to get it to work again.

I guess I'm not sure what I should do about it. Does anyone else have this issue? I bought my phone on launch day at Best Buy. I have done nothing that would void the warranty from HTC, however, no water damage, it hasn't been dropped once, I haven't rooted.

What should I do? I'm sure if I take it Best Buy (I purchased their protection plan), they won't have any idea, and they will take my phone away from me and send it in to be fixed. The thought gives me palpitations.

I had alot of the same problems your having. Sometimes the screen wouldnt work at all. I was pounding on the screen yet nothing. Then other times I will go to push a key and all of a sudden muliple entries would happen with all types of keys acting like they were pushed. So I took my phone back to BestBuy to see if they could fix it. The guy at the counter looks at the phone then looks at me with a dirty look and says "try taking your gloves off!!"

...I havent had any problems since...well...at least with the phone. However I am pretty bummed knowing these phones only work in the summer time.

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
This has happened to me a few times (≤5). Almost always, it seems to happen when composing an SMS or MMS from the stock "Messages" app. I think it might have happened one when trying to chose a recently called contact from the phone dialer.

Every time, a quick tap of the power button (to put the phone to sleep) has fixed the issue. Unlocking the phone takes me right back to where I was when it locked up and I continue as if nothing had happened. It's really nothing more than a minor nuisance.

Chris049

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem and it definitely started happening after the update that bricked a lot of peoples phones. I have tried everything to fix it except rolling back to the older rom, which I cannot find a rom that will work. I bought the phone from a Radio Shack so I called them and am currently still waiting for a replacement.

Kristy_Joy

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I continued having this problem, it got worse even. I did a hard reset on the phone and everything is fine now. Just in case anyone else wants to try it.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Few reports here and there on this, but i have never really seen it on my own to that extent.
try and record what it does and post it.

Only thing I have noticed mine do is when I select and sms thread, sometimes it will jump to a diff one and open it.
It doesnt do it often enuff for me to be concerned though. Other times it might not select soemthing on the first tap.
I duno if its the way I tap things, or lag or something?

Same thing happens to me, probably 5 times since i got my phone on launch day, weird but nothing to be concerned about.