How to get wireless tether on my EVO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for this noob question, but I've tried searching this and other android forums for this info and there's so much info and it's confusing the hell out of me..

Anyway, I have a stock EVO with the latest OTA update (software version: 1.47.651.1) and it has never been rooted. All I want to do now is be able to use wireless tether (with multiple laptops) via my EVO. What is the easy/best way to achieve this?

I know the first thing I need to do is root the EVO. Should I do this using Unrevoked, or using something like SimpleRoot? For my purposes, what's the difference b/t these two methods?

Next, is wireless tether an app that I have to download somewhere? If so, which is the best one (if there are more than one). Or will this feature surface automatically after rooting the phone. Or does it come on some ROM that I need to flash?

And finally, what is this Radio/WiMax patch thing that everyone is trying to put on their phone?

Thanks.

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
sadly unrevoked doesn't work with the newest update :(

yes wireless tether is an app, you can get it free from the android market but it won't work unless you root the phone

rodeiguez102

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes the first step will always be to root your evo.

Now simpleRoot vs unrevoked?

unrevoked isn't really a full root, but If all you wanna do is use wireless tether, then unrevoked will be the way to go. the only problem with unrevoked is you have to launch the unrevoked app everytime you restart your phone. And ofcourse at the moment unrevoked is not available (because the latest update broke their root method) but they have stated on their Twitter that they are working on something to get root back.

Now the simpleRoot method, I actually found to be pretty simple, and is a full root. The advantages of having full root are endless if you are into total hacking of the OS. You can do things like install custom Roms, mess around with processor speeds, or changing the theme on the OS. The disadvantage thow is that you are at risk of screwing up ur evo if you are not careful, and ofcourse you are voiding your warranty.

So choosing the best method for you can also depend on how long you can wait for unrevoked to get updated. Do you need wireless tether asap? If so, simpleRoot will be your only choice at the moment.

Yes wireless tether is an app, and no it does not come on the phone as soon as you root. But it is in the Android market, just search for wireless tether. I believe there is many wireless tether apps in the market, but I can't say which one is better because I have only used the one called "Wireless Tether for Root users"

I'm not sure what the Radio/wimax patch was all about, but I think it had something to do with the latest update breaking root. So its not really something you will have to worry about. All you need is to get root which ever method, then install wireless tether from the market and done.

Now if you do choose to go the simpleRoot method here are the links. the first one is the one where you actually root your phone, but once rooted you will notice you are gonna be on a older version of Android 2.1, so the second link will show you how to get back to the latest OTA update 1.47.651.1, that's the easiest part of the whole process thow. The first link also provides a video of someone actually going through the steps, after I watched it, the whole process seemed much easier.

First link-Root link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=720565

Second link-getting back to latest OTA update

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715915

Last edited:

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey thanks everyone for your input. My phone bill is already high (4 line plan) so I dont really want to add in the extra cost for the hotspot feature. Free wireless tether is the way to go for me. At the moment, I don't really need to have wireless tether. In Sept, I'm heading to NY for vacation, so I'd like to have it by then.

Unrevoked seems attractive to me because if I just restart the phone, then I'll be back to the "unrooted" EVO, right? However, if the SimpleRoot approach is indeed that "simple", I might do that instead. One thing I'd like to know is that when the next OTA update becomes available, and I want to "unroot" my EVO (after using SimpleRoot), do I first have to follow specific steps to "undo" the SimpleRoot before updating? Or can I just allow the OTA update to run, which would automatically overwrite all of SimpleRoot's changes and bring my phone back to stock version?

Also, adding to my last question, if say I also have a ROM installed, do I have to somehow uninstall the ROM first, before I can follow thru with the OTA update?

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Unrevoked just released a new full root I think... that's easy to use.
Check the Hacks/Roms section or their twitter @ unrEVOked

macmedia

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Just did the new Unrevoked 3 root. Simple to use and after about 5 minutes, my phone can run Wireless Tether again (I was one of the many that installed the Sprint OTA update end of June that rendered the app useless)

go to unrevoked and click on the left phone (Evo)

Run the downloaded app while your phone is connected to your computer and follow the prompts

Afterwards, go to the Market app on your phone and do a search for "Wireless Tether" Download and install

BTW: the unrevoked 3 is a full root (whereas the original unrevoked was just a temporary root)

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Just did the new Unrevoked 3 root. Simple to use and after about 5 minutes, my phone can run Wireless Tether again (I was one of the many that installed the Sprint OTA update end of June that rendered the app useless)

go to unrevoked and click on the left phone (Evo)

Run the downloaded app while your phone is connected to your computer and follow the prompts

Afterwards, go to the Market app on your phone and do a search for "Wireless Tether" Download and install

BTW: the unrevoked 3 is a full root (whereas the original unrevoked was just a temporary root)

Ok, I think I'm gonna root using Unrevoked3. But I have a few more noob questions before I start.

1) First, I need to download the Reflash-bundle.exe from Unrevoked.com/Recovery onto my laptop right? (not onto my phone...)

2) People are saying they made backups of their phones first. How do I back up my phone? Does this Unrevoke app give me the option to back up first? Is this backup a ROM?

3) What is it "reflashing"? My phone is a never-rooted stock phone. What specific ROM is putting onto my phone?

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
woohoooo! Just Unrevoked my EVO. Installed the "Wireless Tether for Root Users" app and im surfing nicely! Thanks for everyone's input, again.

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes a rooted phone voids the warranty. I use the free teathered app to run my laptop when needed. It doesn't need a rooted EVO and works just fine.

The Sprint Manager I talked to did tell me that if they notice a teathered device they can shutdown your account. Somehow they monitor this. He said they have done that to several people he knows. They come in saying their phone isn't working. So beware of any teathering without paying the $30 hot spot fee.

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Did it back up your phone like you were asking?

I dont think it did. I decided to root it anyway without backing up my phone because i saw threads here saying that their phone looks the same after the rooting. So I risked it. Fortunately, things went alright.

CMarzette

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Should the phone be on charge only, Disk drive our what. its not working for me, unrevoked3 is waitng for Device and nothing happens. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.