3G SPEED DROPPED

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I used to avg 1mb speed on 3g in Cleveland. Now I am down to 125kb.
I have AVA, current radio, wimax. I have tried to go back to different software version, radio versions, wimax version. Nothing has helped. Anyone in a similiar situation. May just call Sprint to see what they say about my area. I have also heard that there are solar flares which is an outside shot. Not sure where to pin down the problem. Anyone in Cleveland have any good setup advice? Also, I have full bars with 3g symbol on white most of the time.

Thanks,

Droid-One

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I asked because there is a new prl 60669 I would give that a try. In my area I suffered from horrible speed on 60667 and when I got 60668 everything went back to normal. Just a suggestion but it seems it effects everyone differently. 60669 might help.

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Just updated it to 60669. Thanks for info. No luck however on speed change. Might go into hash codes and try to switch something.

UPDATE: I guess my hash codes don't work 'cuz I'm rooted....argh.

Last edited:

tx_dbs_tx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I know what your experiencing. I used to get 1.5 + mbps on 3g here in Houston TX area but now it only reaches .60 kbps at most but usually only half that at best. I use speedtest.net and the same app in Android Market. I have called Sprint numerous times about this and they claim my speeds show normal. They never call back like they say they will. I have put in 2 tickets on this issue and its been going on for a month or so. I suspect Sprint has throttle the data speeds or something because I have had three different phones and all do the same thing. So I decided to buy the new HTC EVO to see if it would have faster data and sadly it does not. Therefore it was never a phone issue but a network issue or account data throttle problem because I get the same super slow 3g data everywhere I go within a 100 mile radius. so you are not alone. I'm very ticked off about this because my phone's web browser takes a long time to load pages and the YouTube app buffers constantly and plays for a couple seconds between buffering. Basically no data app on my phone works worth a crap! And I now pay an extra $10 per month on top of my simply everything plan for this poor service. Not fair at all. I'm going to my local corporate Sprint store to do a "side by side" data speed comparison with the same evo demo phone and see what results I get.

Last edited:

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
It has to be Sprint. I have flashed every rom and radio in site. After reading your post, I have decided maybe to unroot. That was going to be my last hope. Unroot and just let it just do OTA updates and then complain to Sprint.

IDK.

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Decided to bring in my old (wifes new) Palm Pre tomorrow and see what I get here at work speed test wise.

If they vary, maybe it is a Phone problem.

tx_dbs_tx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I seriously doubt It's the phone. Have you recently moved by chance? I did and I'm obviously on different towers now but even when I go back across town (apx 30 miles) I get the same slow data speeds. I do know that some towers are not setup like others and some areas get lots of data use from more customers during peak times. but I have slow data around the clock, I've tested as early as 3 and 4am with same results. The best way to narrow down this issue is to find another sprint account holder with a data plan and compare side by side on the same tower. I haven't been able to do this yet. if you do please post back your findings, I'm curious.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
my 3g speeds cut atleast in half if not a 1/3 in the past month.
I used to get 1-1.5M constant . Now I struggle to get 500-600kb. and I reallymean struggle. 500-600 is a good figure

4G skyrockets, but you cant get it indoors. I still don get 4g like some report though. I seen reports of +10MB speeds.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Why would you put in a ticket if you rooted, if you did...just asking.

What difference does root make? If he is on a stock rom it makes no difference.
How would they even tell he is rooted?
I dont think you need to step on eggshells if you are rooted, just gotta know what questions to answer and which not too and what info you give and what not to.

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE:

Today my speed at work is still the same slow (128kbmax).
My wife's 3g Pre is reporting the same thing in Downtown Cleveland (128kbmax). I am 20 miles west of Cleveland at work.

Last night, I went south of Cleveland (50 miles) to pick up my car and got blazing 2mb speed on 3g. Come back to work today and it sucks again. So it is definitely Sprint around Cleveland.

I called yesterday and they said there were outages in the past week but they were back up. They said they would put in a ticket to let them know that maybe when the network came back up there was still issues. I am curious to see where this will go and if I will ever get my speed back at work. My home has always sucked and I use WIFI there.

They never asked anything about rooting, just if I have updated everything. They particulary asked twice if I had updated. Since I got 2.2 rooted, I said yes.

I know Cleveland is on the list for 4g before the year is out, so they could be fn' with something here. Until then I guess I just keep complaining. It's just crazy that it dropped so much.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I ran into an interesting problem last night.
My EVO was running slow on data. I remembered this thread. I ran Speed Test and the ping time was 999, my DL was less then half a meg an my upload was about 120k.
So i turned on 4G, ( to disconnect from 3G data) let it sync, then turned off 4G and waited for 3G to re-connect. That fixed my problem. Ping went down to 250 something, DL was over a meg and upload was 750k something.
This has happened to me several times. Each time i notice my ping time being 999. The times before that i turned off my wireless, waited a minute and turned it back on.
May or may not fix your problem but its worth a try.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps the tower(s) are under higher load than normal (all those new Evo's sucking down data) or Sprint is reworking the back haul which could be reducing the available bandwidth.

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I ran into an interesting problem last night.
My EVO was running slow on data. I remembered this thread. I ran Speed Test and the ping time was 999, my DL was less then half a meg an my upload was about 120k.
So i turned on 4G, ( to disconnect from 3G data) let it sync, then turned off 4G and waited for 3G to re-connect. That fixed my problem. Ping went down to 250 something, DL was over a meg and upload was 750k something.
This has happened to me several times. Each time i notice my ping time being 999. The times before that i turned off my wireless, waited a minute and turned it back on.
May or may not fix your problem but its worth a try.

Exactly what I am seeing. So I toggled WiFi a couple times, toggled 4g a couple times, came back and ran speed test with result of 500kb with about 2bars. Not great but at least half of normal. Maybe placebo effect, because then my bars go full and 3g symbol is white and I run again with it dropping back down to the 125kb mark. Repeated with no luck. We don't have 4g yet so not sure if it turns off 3g in the process.

Thanks,

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
What was your PING time when you ran speed test?

I dont recall having this issue before Froyo but now my speeds are cut on half at least. I am testing using Speed Test and whats interesting is my PING time is 999 when my speeds are really slow. When its working like its supposed to the PING time is between 100-300. I am also on PRL 60669 so i am wondering if maybe the recent updated PRL has problems. Before i was on 60662 then on 60666 with no problems.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a sprint problem, in Brooklyn where I work I was getting around 300/400 down and only 15 UP, now that I'm back to good old Queens I'm at a ping of 95, download of 951 and upload of 472. This all happened in about 1 and a half hours of testing each other. I'm on CM6 w/8/13 nightly and updated radios, prl & pri.

In short, I think it's just where you are.

As an aside, where I am in queens there's 4G coverage, in Brooklyn there isn't any (where I work), I wonder if the pipes are just bigger going to the 4G areas to accommodate the extra bandwidth and it helps out on the 3G side as well. just hypothoguessing.