Problems with Palm pre, better with Evo?

hbwright

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I am due to upgrade next month so thought about the Evo. I love my palm pre but for the few things that make me want to smash it. There are multiple times a day that my e-mail just goes unresponsive and I have to shut down and restart multiple times. Other times I get the card error and have to restart. Other times I pick up a call and it immediately knocks off the call and I have to call back. I'd say it is just a slow phone for me all in all. Everything on it runs slow and this is even with a clean wipe and putting only the basics on the phone and doing e-mail and web. I really would like something faster that I'm not sitting waiting on all the time, namely e-mails. When I check my e-mails on my phone it is a quick check for work, school, whatever, not a sit and wait for a couple minutes for them to pull up and then another minute once I get them up to pull a particular e-mail and read it.

Are these issues better with the Evo?

I am also looking forward to flash. We were told we were getting it months ago and still nothing on the Pre. Just hoping the Evo is my fix.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I jumped from a Pre to an Evo.

The Evo was noticeably faster and just didn't have any if the lag I'd gotten used to on my (overclocked!) Pre. And when the recent update to Froyo came, the Evo got noticeably faster still.

There are probably a few things you'll miss from WebOS, especially at first - Android isn't quite as elegant. But it's a great operating system, with great apps. I think you'll be happy with an Evo.

Bodar

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Nope no problems like that on my EVO. Froyo even made it snappier. It's not a perfect phone but I am very satisfied. I certainly don't wait more than a few seconds for my e-mail. Definitely try it out in a store if possible.

dave-g

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm a resent convert from palm, I had 10 or more of them over the years. My Treo was my favorite. My Pre did some VERY cool stuff. But it was replace 3 times under warranty. It seems so slow compared to the EVO. And reboots were the name of the game.

I have only had to reboot the EVO once in 2 months. I love the bigger screen. But battery life is an issue. I did buy the Seidio Innocell 1750mAh Extended Battery- But I think the stock battery last longer.

The cool thing with Sprint is they will let you do a 30 test drive- try and Evo- I bet you do not return it.

Also- if you sync you Pre with Google email and calendar, then add that email to you EVO-all you info comes right over.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I jumped from a Pre to an Evo.

The Evo was noticeably faster and just didn't have any if the lag I'd gotten used to on my (overclocked!) Pre. And when the recent update to Froyo came, the Evo got noticeably faster still.

There are probably a few things you'll miss from WebOS, especially at first - Android isn't quite as elegant. But it's a great operating system, with great apps. I think you'll be happy with an Evo.

You arena the first person that has said that about the Palm Pre's operating system (elegant). I had the Pre for about a week. I really liked everything about the phone except the battery life and the screen issues. I had faded out spots on the screen. Went through five Pres in a week looking for one that had good hardware. No luck. O think that the Android operating system is a lot more feature rich.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... I had the Pre.

WebOS IS elegant, but it's so darn slow that it ruins the experience.
The only thing the Evo lacks is a dedicated GPU, so don't expect 3d games to be as smooth as on the Pre.

Android isn't as elegant, but this device is fast and I forgot all about swiping because once I hit the back button... a couple milliseconds later I'm already at the next screen.
Speed is elegant to me, so this kind of stuff goes a long way.

You'll forget about cards when you meet this big screen.
I was helping my dad activate his replacement Pre and it was slow, and because of that the gestures weren't as elegant as it once was. And the small screen is meh.

If you can wait, the Sprint Epic 4g provides same benefits with a hardware keyboard (though I now prefer keyboardless devices because Evo is so easy to type on).
However, the Sprint Epic 4g, in general, has a better screen and better media features, but doesn't have the kickstand and is fatter I think.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
The slowness of WebOS was quite irritating. When they come out with a better HW platform, WebOS will really shine. Until then, it can't compete with Android and phones like the EVO that have lots of horse power (HP?). I was quite happy with the switch from the PRE to the EVO. My wife still has her PRE and she is very jealous of my EVO. Like others have said, you get 30 days to try it out (if you can get on, that is). I, too, bet you will not return it.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have had my EVO for 6 days now and like many, loved some of the aspects of the OS on the Pre, and the idea of what it can do, but Android is just so much more solid. What's more is that the hardware is also very solid. The Pre can be considered the Pre-cursor to a worth while WebOS phone, but Palm just did not enable enough features out of the box. The Homebrew community has done a great job to fill in many of the initial cracks, but isn't that what the developers for the OS are supposed to do before releasing it?

A couple things I noticed were that although I really love the VKB on the EVO and how you have a full keyboard PLUS assist predictive texting, you don't have the copy/cut/paste quick shortcuts like with a hardware KB. You have to long press so it is much more laborious if you are trying to take a link or paragraph from a site to put in your own social network post, for example.

Also you will probably miss the swiping away of notifications or items on other lists. That feature on this hardware would be killer, but on the Pre, you lose so much real estate with notification banners, it almost cancels itself out as helpful. Will just have to get used to pushing the menu button instead.

What you will love of course is the speed. The cards idea is a great idea, but how often do you actually need multiple cards open to perform your task? I found most of the time, I was swiping EVERYTHING away to conserve the poor battery. But when a phone moves so fast between things, it seems to be less needed to multitask. One big test this phone passed for me right away, was that you can have music running, with navigation, and still text/email. Also if you go into USB mode, the phone is still mostly functional.

The other important thing to keep in mind is how much more apps do for the Android platform. If the Pre has an app it in most cases has 70% of the features that the equivalent app does in Android.

reverendrhino

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I was also a Palm addict since the Treo 90, my Pre was not answering the calls, cracked usb, had to reset all the time I went to the Sprint store & they sold me the EVO. The home brew community for the WebOS is the best, which I miss but this EVO is amazing.

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I had a pre from almost day one. I returned it well over 5 times because of hardware issues. I have had the EVO for 2 months now and it is so solid. That is one of my favorite things about it.

WebOS is genious and annoying all at the same time. Android is a bit archaic and hard to get used to. However, it does so many things and never crashes. There are several native things is WebOS that I miss, such as, company name in contact search. There are also a lot of patches I had to install to make the Pre useable.

The battery life was awful when I first got it, but after some tweaking it is very comparable to the Pre. Also, this size of the screen is amazing. I look at my Pre and wondered how I ever used something so small.

Use it for the 30 days and see if you like it.

hbwright

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks y'all. I'm looking forward to trying it. It does sound like it will be the answer to my major issues. That and I dropped it today trying to juggle (not really) and it hit right where the power/sleep button is in the top corner. Now I'm more anxious for 09/08 to get here.

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
This thread was very helpful. I'm a Pre owner and have been thinking about switching to the Evo.

I'm eligible for an upgrade, so I might just do it later this week.

I'm about ten seconds from throwing my Pre onto my concrete driveway.

Thanks for your opinions.

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
android (or the evo specifically) is currently more useful and much more feature rich than any current webos phone. while i honestly believe webos is the most elegant smartphone experience, it is hampered by slowness and a lack of quality apps. there is certainly much less glitches and bugs with android. hopefully in time with new hardware and os upgrades, palm and hp can iron out their issues.

clutch1222

Banned
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
android (or the evo specifically) is currently more useful and much more feature rich than any current webos phone. while i honestly believe webos is the most elegant smartphone experience, it is hampered by slowness and a lack of quality apps. there is certainly much less glitches and bugs with android. hopefully in time with new hardware and os upgrades, palm and hp can iron out their issues.

just downloaded 1.4.5 on my pre ...

WOW! much faster.
loading my F105 kernal . 1GHZ.

boy... cant wait to transfer all of my apps to the next webOS phone.

Best of luck to the defectors. Hope to see you back someday.
can you sell those android apps you paid for... If you make the switch back?

hbwright

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm about ten seconds from throwing my Pre onto my concrete driveway.

Haha, beat you to it. Still works though but I have to slide it open to turn on and wait for it to time out to shut off. Oh well. I thought about seeing if they would do an early upgrade since I'm so close but at least mine works for the time being.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
just downloaded 1.4.5 on my pre ...

WOW! much faster.
loading my F105 kernal . 1GHZ.

boy... cant wait to transfer all of my apps to the next webOS phone.

Best of luck to the defectors. Hope to see you back someday.
can you sell those android apps you paid for... If you make the switch back?

Why would someone want to go back to something that is not supported much by anyone? Android is miles better then webOS... Heck I now even like Android's stealth way of multi-tasking over webOS. webOS has no backing, and they have lost just about everybody on that team. It will become a tablet OS and for printers. They won't keep making phones.. It will die

clutch1222

Banned
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Why would someone want to go back to something that is not supported much by anyone? Android is miles better then webOS... Heck I now even like Android's stealth way of multi-tasking over webOS. webOS has no backing, and they have lost just about everybody on that team. It will become a tablet OS and for printers. They won't keep making phones.. It will die

ya... keep drinking he Kool aid.

no backing LOL

android better than webOS...

yeah palm lost almost evryone on their team. palm < 1000 employees.

HP has 47,000 engineers alone. 300k employees.

no hating ... just think its well worth the wait before making the decision to switch.
HP has made several statements... as well as Rubi.. that they are releasing a new phone, tablet, printers etc. not JUST a phone, but a line of webOS products .

Best of luck with your EVO's. it's a great Iphone competitor.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
So I just turned on my old Pre, and updated it. I really would like to know your definition of fast. Cause it's still choppy and slow.. Just saying, not trying to hate. Just throwing fact out there.

Plus I said that the phone making will die eventually. They will make another, but again the market of RIM, iOS and Android is too much for HP to handle. They need more devs to back the system, which they do not have and don't see it happening in the future. I mean why would they? They have three huge OS's to make profit from, and Palm is not where it's at for profit. Palm was bleeding, and that was the reason they sold.

Also please explain to me why it still only has 3200 apps, and about 80% of them are worthless? You call that backing? I think what we are pushing 100k?

Last edited:

clutch1222

Banned
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
So I just turned on my old Pre, and updated it. I really would like to know your definition of fast. Cause it's still choppy and slow.. Just saying, not trying to hate. Just throwing fact out there.

Plus I said that the phone making will die eventually. They will make another, but again the market of RIM, iOS and Android is too much for HP to handle. They need more devs to back the system, which they do not have and don't see it happening in the future. I mean why would they? They have three huge OS's to make profit from, and Palm is not where it's at for profit. Palm was bleeding, and that was the reason they sold.

Also please explain to me why it still only has 3200 apps, and about 80% of them are worthless? You call that backing? I think what we are pushing 100k?

I call HP backing.

ohh yeah... btw. chek this out.
makes you feel all fuzzy inside.. doesnt it.

Foreign Employers Less Popular in China

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2010/08/06/foreign-employers-less-popular-in-china/

“It’s mostly because of the financial crisis,” she says. “People now think [foreign companies] are not stable, and that they have more security at domestic companies.”

buying products made in Taiwan / china ... designed and engineered in the U.S.A. thats one thing

buying products from Chinese/ Taiwanese companies... whole different thing.

just sayin...

many made the switch to evo. When the next webOS phone is released.. we will see if that was the right move.

i am out of contact with pre... and waiting.
the evo, epic, etc... will be there waiting for me.. if i decide to switch at that point.

cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty