Google Nav accuracy problems?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok... for the 5th time Google Nav's accuracy has failed me.. And not just failed by a few houses, failed again by literally a mile... Has anyone else had problems with Google Nav's accuracy? I like Google Nav better than Sprint Nav because it's a lot smoother, the UI is much better, I love how it zooms in right before turns, it's a LOT easier to get directions and get going but of the MAYBE 7 or 8 times I've used Google Nav, it's been off 5 times, and each time it's been WAY off. I live in Jersey for crying out loud. I could see if there was some accuracy problem in a less populated area but come on seriously? Anyone else having accuracy problems?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Nah definitely not the GPS. Of the 5 times, today included, 3 showed me the street view of where it put me and it was WAY off. Showed the wrong house/building.

Last edited:

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok it's def not the GPS. It's definitely Google. Not sure how they collected addresses but they're way off. Here's some pics of Google Earth with the Address highlighted. Notice in both pictures when I highlight over the picture view one shows 20 Ocean ave and the other 28 Ocean Ave meanwhile they're telling me 1 Ocean Ave is in between. In the third picture the house is all the way on the bottom... WAY off.

2010-08-18-00-13-18-769.jpg

2010-08-18-00-13-02-511.jpg

2010-08-18-00-13-42-698.jpg

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Happened to me several times so I don't use it normally unless I need to use voice commands while I'm driving. Sprint Nav hasn't lead me to the wrong address.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
i am in texas...
using hero
love google maps
very very accurate.. navigation

I wonder why the hell it's so damn inaccurate in some places but spot on in others? I just had a convo with a friend of mine that has an Evo and he's a trucker. He said he's been using his Evo on his deliveries in Jersey, from Jersey to NY, NY State, Connecticut and PA and he said he's never had an accuracy problem! WTF! Does my luck suck that bad? Lol..

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I wonder why the hell it's so damn inaccurate in some places but spot on in others? I just had a convo with a friend of mine that has an Evo and he's a trucker. He said he's been using his Evo on his deliveries in Jersey, from Jersey to NY, NY State, Connecticut and PA and he said he's never had an accuracy problem! WTF! Does my luck suck that bad? Lol..

Have you tried clearing data and cache?

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Weird, I'm a UPS driver and I use it regularly to find addresses for pickups that I'm not sure where they are at. Has not failed me yet. I don't use Sprint nav because it takes a day and half to open and I just don't have that much time to wait.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
A couple of times Google Nav took me to the wrong address, so I checked on my computer when I got home, and saw the same incorrect Street View pic...so it's not the GPS or data cache, but inaccuracies in Google's address data.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This has been happening to me too. It's hard to tell but I want to say right around the time that froyo was released and the 3G speed starting dropping.

I used to be able to bring up maps and get my location fast, now it takes forever and always gives me the wrong place, like 2 avenues and 5 streets away...

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a different version of this problem about a year ago. I was looking for a sushi restaurant and found it using Google Maps. Then I exported the address to a SD card to use with my Pioneer Navigation unit. What I didn't realize is that apparently the address tag that shows on Google Maps is more like a dumb text field because the navigation unit used the geographic location (Latitute/Longitude) from Google Maps that was incorrect.

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Google Nav has always been accurate for me, except one time. When I was on a trip, I navigated to a restaraunt located within a golf course. The Google Nav on the EVO took me to totally different area of the golf course; about 1 driving mile away. Turns out it wasn't specifically the fault of Google Nav/EVO since Google Map (on a desktop browser) showed the same wrong destination.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I just had this problem the other day the address was 320 and it took me the opposite way to the 500's... I was like wth... Its not off my alot but its off... I notice its done that twice out of the 3 times ive used it this weekend...Sprint nav seems to be alot more accurate for me but as someone mentioned b4 its not a convenient as holding the search button and saying navigate to Chipotle and bam its finding it for u...

folarino

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I am in Austin Texas and it has failed me 2ce.
Most egregious was directing me to a country club about 2 miles away from the post office it was supposed to direct me to.

Hasn't happened yet with Sprint Nav.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Really? Those brown trucks don't have Nav systems in 'em already?!

Nope, they have GPS in the boards we carry, but it is used strictly to spy on us. I'm hearing the next version of the DIAD board(the one you sign on) will allow for GPS nav, but I dunno when that is coming around.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This is interesting.

When I'm at work I have crappy 3G speeds (200/300KB down) and horrible GPS, when I'm home I have normal speeds and my GPS works. Last night I was on the UES in Manhattan and the GPS was spot on and my 3G was fine. I took a cab home and noticed that sometimes I was off the beat path and other times I was updating fine.

For me anyway I think the problem is probably something to do with the sub par 3G we've been getting lately.