Thinking about buying an EVO

tsgrasser

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently using a Pre on Sprint(bought july 09) and have been ok with it for a while but am now starting to run into some major issues/limitations with it since buying my new Ford Fiesta and trying to use it on Ford's Sync system.
At first glance, everything seemed to be fine when I paired them up, but after subsequent usage during the last week, I've found that the Pre just doesn't seem to be up to task of being a good companion for my car. Generally if I try and run more then 1 task at a time(say pandora and google maps) it starts having some real issues and yesterday it hard locked on me completely. From everything that I can tell, Sync is running fine and the fault is in the Phone alone, so I'm seriously considering replacing it.
The EVO seems like the right choice for what I'm looking to get out of my phone and since I'm already on sprint and still in a contract but I'm wondering if it will be a good solution for the multitasking that I want to do in the car.
The fact that it has android can be rooted/flashed makes it appealing, although if I go that route, I don't want to end up in a maintenance nightmare, so I won't be doing a ton of changes in that regard. I'm used to having my phone plugged in throughout the day and now in the car as well, so the battery life isn't too much of a concern, and it sounds like the custom ROMs out there can extend it beyond stock.
So basically I'm looking for some advice from people that have used the EVO with Sync and can comment on my current situation. Thanks in advance guys!

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I used to b a WEBOS lover still like it but they just couldn't keep up with the competition n once u get ur hands on a EVO ULL realize how much more features are out there but so much more that u can do and now with Adobe flash on the EVO is just like having a mini laptop

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
As an ex Pre user I highly recommend the Evo...yes you might miss the cards and the gesture area that took me about fifteen minutes to forget and the screen size alone is worth it especially for surfing and navigation . As for battery life its much better than Pre ever was and depending how you tweak the settings you can extent the battery life, just give it a least two weeks to optimize. If you like Google there's nothing better than an android phone.

Last edited:

tsgrasser

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, by the end of '09 I had the very distinct feeling that I had bet on the wrong horse and was wishing I had held out for a good android phone. That said, the Pre has been pretty good to me until recently, the exception being that the head phone jack started screwing up a while back, but that's seemingly a small issue when compared to the hardware issues that I've heard other people going through with those first batches of Pres

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I moved to the Evo from a Pre about three weeks ago after my Pre became completely unreliable due to multiple h/w problems. I had been a hardcore Palm fan and thought that changing to Android would be difficult but I couldn't have been more wrong. I love this phone and can't imagine going back to WebOS even if HP came out with a new platform for it. I'm not bashing WebOS but rather Android and the Evo do everything I want/need and then some. (btw, my Pre was not one of the early batch)

Dave