Past Pre Owners, I need help

ginasno1

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I made the switch from my Pre to the Evo because my calendar stopped working on the Pre, long story short something was screwed up in my palm profile and I would have needed to create a new profile and lose all my info and apps. At that point I decided to make the leap to the Evo. Im not going to lie I miss my Pre terribly except the small screen. Im hoping some of you former Pre owners can teach me some things on the Evo to help me love it.

1. I miss being able to type into my keyboard whatever I wanted to search for and it would automatically search contacts or perform a google search etc. I cant figure out if there is a way to do that on the EVO?

2. Can you make additional pages on your launcher? I have customized the ones that I can scroll through but I need more.

3. I cant seem to get Facebook notifications no matter what. Ive downloaded the facebook app and set my prefs but I never get anything. I also cant stand the news feed on the app. It shows old stuff I find I just use the browser mostly but even that is a pain.

I know I have more questions but thats all I can think of right now. I really want to love this EVO, the screen is awesome, love the camera, finally have Slingbox again..yay! I was excited for flash but the sites I wanted to use it on dont work anyway. Have you found good flash sites?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your help! I found the forums very helpful on Precentral...hoping for the same here :)

any other tips or suggestions you found helpful for the EVO let me know :)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I made the switch from my Pre to the Evo because my calendar stopped working on the Pre, long story short something was screwed up in my palm profile and I would have needed to create a new profile and lose all my info and apps. At that point I decided to make the leap to the Evo. Im not going to lie I miss my Pre terribly except the small screen. Im hoping some of you former Pre owners can teach me some things on the Evo to help me love it.

1. I miss being able to type into my keyboard whatever I wanted to search for and it would automatically search contacts or perform a google search etc. I cant figure out if there is a way to do that on the EVO?

Hit the search button first. Not as fluid but it works.

2. Can you make additional pages on your launcher? I have customized the ones that I can scroll through but I need more.

You would have to install an alternate launcher but more pages than 7 can cause problems. Maybe cut back on the number of widgets you have. (remember the Pre doesn't technically have home screens like Android)

3. I cant seem to get Facebook notifications no matter what. Ive downloaded the facebook app and set my prefs but I never get anything. I also cant stand the news feed on the app. It shows old stuff I find I just use the browser mostly but even that is a pain.

No good solution to that one. It's an Android problem. No good facebook apps. I rely on getting the emails to know something happened, but that's a work around at best.

I know I have more questions but thats all I can think of right now. I really want to love this EVO, the screen is awesome, love the camera, finally have Slingbox again..yay! I was excited for flash but the sites I wanted to use it on dont work anyway. Have you found good flash sites?

Flash was never a big deal to me (other than Palm kept promising it and not delivering which pissed me off). I use Skyfire if there's a video I wanna watch.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for your help! I found the forums very helpful on Precentral...hoping for the same here :)

any other tips or suggestions you found helpful for the EVO let me know :)

See bold above.

Reactions: ginasno1

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
FYI. You can also customize what the search button searches by hitting menu after you tap search.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Taptalk Pro.

ginasno1

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your responses. Right after I posted this I found a pretty cool app that works for the search, searches calendar, sms, google, contacts etc. called aurora. Seems to do a pretty good job. Sucks about Facebook :( I used that so much on the Pre. I like the notifications alot better on the pre and the virtual keyboard is taking alot of getting used to. This phone would be damn near perfect if it had webos..lol. I guess Ill get used to it.

sincityk9

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Long press the home button takes you to the last eight Apps you were using. It's sort of like swiping the cards. But the phone is so fast it's as good or better.
Also go to this site under battery optimization and do most of what people say and you will be fine. It takes a couple of weeks to get use to Android but it is awsome.

Bodar

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Get Apps Organizer from the Market. It lets you assign apps to categories and put a 1x1 widget on your home screen for each category. This lets you collapse all your Multimedia, Internet, Games, etc into virtual folders and really frees up your home screen. Either that or you've got too many large widgets.

There's a more featured app from the same dev which lets you put other stuff into folders as well. Can't recall the name though.

yaggermr

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I also just made the switch and I'm happy I did. It does take a little getting used to but I think its well worth it. For me a must have was swift keyboard and dolphin browser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress