wifi issue -ever fixed?

user88

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I just got the Evo a few days ago and it has TERRIBLE wifi reception in my house. If I'm right next to the router it will have full bars, but once I get 10 or more feet away it immediately drops and hovers around 0-1 bar. Also, there is a big difference of signal when I'm holding the phone vs when its sitting on a table. I have it set to switch to 3G when there's no wifi, but it doesn't always switch/doesn't switch fast enough and I find my phone telling me there's no network connection very often. It's gotten to the point where I turn wifi off and just leave 3g on because its mor reliable.

I've searched and found a lot on this subject, but most were all last updated when the Evo came out in June. Has there been any update to this or a fix or anything? It's really starting to make me mad that I can have any other device get full bars and my Evo's connection continually goes on/off.

Are other people's still this bad? Should I take it back? I ordered a case, will it help with the holding problem?

Thanks!

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Sounds to me like you have a bad/ defective EVO but its going to be tough to prove to Sprint. Before you give up on the EVO take it back to the Sprint store if you can get a video of the issue and show it to the Sprint tech.

Hope that helps
Dave

user88

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Sounds to me like you have a bad/ defective EVO but its going to be tough to prove to Sprint. Before you give up on the EVO take it back to the Sprint store if you can get a video of the issue and show it to the Sprint tech.

Thanks, I just got the phone last week so I'm still well in my 30 day return period. I actually got the phone from Radio Shack though. Should I take it to Sprint to look at it or just go ahead and exchange it at RS?

user88

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought. Try changing the channel on you router. Also make sure it out in the open.
Tried changing the channel, no luck. Also, I have multiple other devices that get constant 4 bars with no problems so I don't think its a router issue. Thanks for the suggestion though!

kbot1226

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed this at home and at WI-FI hot spots around town. What works for me is if I hold the EVO at the top with my hands away from the bottom, or hold it sideways with my hand furthest away from the capacitive buttons. I go from no bars of signal to two or three.

P.S. I've had my EVO for almost a week, it was the best birthday present ever!

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Radioshack will allow you to exchange within the 30 day period. Perhaps grab another Evo from them and see if it persists?

edercito

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, did you end up getting a replacement? Did the problem with wifi go away? I bought the Evo a couple of weeks away, and at my apartment my laptop and desktop get excellent reception but my Evo's is mediocre at best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty